Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

RJB

I just received my blue booklet for our upcoming February Sands & Shores cruise on Riviera, our fourth Riviera cruise in just over two years. I have not been so much alarmed at the spate of negative threads since I returned to these boards a couple of weeks ago after a hiatus - Noro is a terrible thing to have on one's special cruise and I truly sympathize with all who endured having it onboard with them. However, I am concerned and very saddened by the persistence of some posters (and I certainly do not mean the OP of this thread) in reiterating the same complaints over and over to the tune of dozens of pages for certain threads.

But since you brought it up, not sure who you were referring to here.

LHT28 Just read Anthem of the seas has Noro & returning 2 days early

same complaints

lack of communication

crew cleaning... everything dripping

people not getting their rooms cleaned

people out & about having " accidents " around the ship

crew sick & some down for days

lines to get to see the doctor

They will get the 2 days refunded plus 50% of the next cruise

similar change fees for airline fee

no numbers of sick people reports anywhere from 60 to 500

hypercafe The difference I see is this is the first trip this happened, I believe and they are bringing the ship back early to clean it. Did not the Riveria have two or three bad trips before it was brought back early to clean?

Two, but the difference that I see is that RCCL turned around promptly after being out only two days and that they are offering a 50% credit for another cruise.

Both my husband and I have already crafted letters to Oceania and like you, have no idea to whom they should be sent in the Miami office. By the way, reception told me no comment cards for either mid cruise or the end due to possible contamination, yet we all filled out and returned disembarkation forms twice.

Good point...So true!

We are also crafting a letter. We think the more, the better! ;)

CruiserPK

I'm not a regular poster on these boards, but find they can be helpful both before and after our cruises. It is disappointing to hear that your letters gave you no satisfaction from the Oceania management team. They have dropped the ball with customer service.

This is what my husband says about customer service. He says that if he treated his customers the way that Oceania has, he would be out of business and we would not be able to cruise! :rolleyes:

Being a new cruiser to Oceania, who is this FDR (full name and title) that I keep seeing mentioned?

Edited by Iamthesea

Two, but the difference that I see is that RCCL turned around promptly after being out only two days and that they are offering a 50% credit for another cruise.

Not sure where you got that idea

They left Feb 21st for a 12 night cruise decided to turn back on the 27th because of a storm & then Noro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321816

FDR = Frank Del Rio

Edited by LHT28

Not sure where you got that idea

They left Feb 21st for a 12 night cruise decided to turn back on the 27th because of a storm & then Noro

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321816

FDR = Frank Del Rio

Sorry.:o Yesterday, the MSN website had the story about the ship turning around. They only mentioned they were returning because of another storm. The Noro was not mentioned, but the article did say that the ship had been at see only a couple of days.

Although I was extremely interested in this thread, I left it for a couple of days as it was going in circles. Obviously, it still is rehashing the same things. Just for comparison purposes, the cruise line we typically sail not only has gastroenteritis (although I believe it is Norovirus as the ship has been Code Red), but has been stuck in one port for three days with mechanical problems. Passengers are reporting from the ship but not one post has brought up being compensated for the fact that they have no laundry facilities, etc. (the same things that were going on during the last Riviera sailing). In fact, passengers are coping quite well. My favorite quote from the cruise is "Life goes on! It's really not all THAT terrible, just a first-world annoyance problem but the crew are back to doing their double-duty with a smile. One said to me today, 'Madam it's not so bad...we are used to it now.'😌 "

In terms of being stuck in one place, another passenger posted "I have a feeling that we may be here for a while. We are trying to look at the situation as staying in a luxury hotel! "

I just wanted to share a different point of view.

HI. we got on the reviera around the 13 of December of 15 and was deep cleaned before we got on the boat. for the 12 days we were on we heard nothing of anyone getting sick. the crew kept cleaning and disinfecting the whole cruise and they did admit that yes they did have an outbreak just before we got on but that was about it. no ice in the ice bucket unless you called for ice and the laundramat was closed for most of the trip. boarding and access to our rooms was almost on schedule too. we are set for a 17 day next December thru the panama canal on the regatta so I have my fingers crossed.

Although I was extremely interested in this thread, I left it for a couple of days as it was going in circles. Obviously, it still is rehashing the same things. Just for comparison purposes, the cruise line we typically sail not only has gastroenteritis (although I believe it is Norovirus as the ship has been Code Red), but has been stuck in one port for three days with mechanical problems. Passengers are reporting from the ship but not one post has brought up being compensated for the fact that they have no laundry facilities, etc. (the same things that were going on during the last Riviera sailing). In fact, passengers are coping quite well. My favorite quote from the cruise is "Life goes on! It's really not all THAT terrible, just a first-world annoyance problem but the crew are back to doing their double-duty with a smile. One said to me today, 'Madam it's not so bad...we are used to it now.'😌 "

In terms of being stuck in one place, another passenger posted "I have a feeling that we may be here for a while. We are trying to look at the situation as staying in a luxury hotel! "

I just wanted to share a different point of view.

Yes it is different. My point of view is that you should get what you pay for. Being stuck in a port for three days or more or in your cabin is not what we signed up for. The cruise line takes your money and promises you the things it sold to you and has to deliver or give you a refund. Why is a cruise line any different than other companies? No one else could get away with that. :confused::confused::confused:

Yes it is different. My point of view is that you should get what you pay for. Being stuck in a port for three days or more or in your cabin is not what we signed up for. The cruise line takes your money and promises you the things it sold to you and has to deliver or give you a refund. Why is a cruise line any different than other companies? No one else could get away with that. :confused::confused::confused:

By the way, which cruise line are you talking about?

You bring up a good point about cruise lines being different than other companies. If ships were not registered in other countries, a lot would be different. They would have to pay more taxes - would have to abide by U.S. Labor laws, pay "Federal Minimum Wage" plus overtime, etc. This would probably double the cost of our cruise fare. However, there would be recourse if they did not deliver what they sold (and, again, I'm not convinced that this is the case here as illness on a ship would likely be exempt from this unless it could be proven 100% that the ship caused the problem - not the passengers).

Yes - the ship currently in a Code Red situation is Regent's Mariner. And, of all places to be stuck, they are stuck in Brazil.

P.S. It is possible that passengers on the Mariner will receive some type of compensation because of the issue with the ship that caused the delay in the cruise as it clearly Regent's fault. I suspect that they will receive a discount on their next cruise. If you are interested, I'll post any news of compensation on this thread when I learn more.

Edited by Travelcat2

Brazil is a nice place especially if you like meat. I think that this is a RTW cruise. If so missing something is not such a big deal as missing something on a two week trip.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Brazil is a nice place especially if you like meat. I think that this is a RTW cruise. If so missing something is not such a big deal as missing something on a two week trip.

But many (most?) of the passengers probably are on a shorter portion, not the full RTW.

For them, 2 or 3 days stuck (and worse, sick?) is a bigger deal.

We are on the transatlantic to Barcelona in April.

I must say that this news is making us very nervous. We have sailed several times before with Oceania including a trans-Pacific cruise with no problems but the prospect of getting ill on a cruise which is several days at sea is very worrying indeed.

I really hope that the management will step us and take extra special precautions to avoid any further repetition of this serious problem.

At least they must ensure that everyone entering dining rooms has their hands disinfected. Some cruise lines insist on actually squirting disinfectant on passengers' hands before they can enter.

I really hope that the management will step us and take extra special precautions to avoid any further repetition of this serious problem.

At least they must ensure that everyone entering dining rooms has their hands disinfected. Some cruise lines insist on actually squirting disinfectant on passengers' hands before they can enter.

I agree

I think they should force people to wash their hands after using the W/C

they should have a crew member standing at the door & not let people out until they do wash :rolleyes:

If they do not comply then toss them overboard

Seriously I cannot believe that grown adults cannot figure this out on their own :eek:

It isn't a RTW cruise but rather a "Circle South America" cruise - a 72 night itinerary with multiple legs.

Agree that Brazil has good meat but I would not want to be stuck there on a "Code Red" ship.

This thread seems to have gotten off track. :rolleyes:

The Riviera seems to be all clean now, or at least we haven't heard otherwise in a few days. :)

Checked my Visa statement today and do not see a refund for our 25%. It's been 10 days, but I suppose Oceania meant business days. I seemed to have misplace our letter. :rolleyes:

I believe that this thread remains on track since the topic is not having Norovirus on the ship but rather whether the compensation offered is enough. While I clearly feel that Oceania is giving a generous compensation (based on returning to port early - not because of Norovirus), discussing how other cruise lines handle this situation seems very on topic to me.

We are on the transatlantic to Barcelona in April.

I must say that this news is making us very nervous. We have sailed several times before with Oceania including a trans-Pacific cruise with no problems but the prospect of getting ill on a cruise which is several days at sea is very worrying indeed.

Sounds like it's OK now .I do believe I'm on the same cruise .Been on this ship before . Actually took almost the same itinerary back in 2013 . With all the cruises you show you must have spent long stretches on the ocean before . They usually do have someone posted with sanitizer at the dining room entrances . But you can't hold a gun to peoples heads . It's really stupid of someone to just ignore it . :mad:

Edited by iamkingofall
I'm so clever

Sounds like it's OK now .I do believe I'm on the same cruise .Been on this ship before . Actually took almost the same itinerary back in 2013 . With all the cruises you show you must have spent long stretches on the ocean before . They usually do have someone posted with sanitizer at the dining room entrances . But you can't hold a gun to peoples heads . It's really stupid of someone to just ignore it . :mad:

Just for discussions sake, I am currently on Marina, which has no issues. While there are sanitizer dispensers set up all over the ship, there are ZERO actual people at the entrances of restaurants with the squirt bags. When they do put them there on Oceania is when I start to worry, as you know there is a problem, unlike Celebrity that has people stationed there all the time.

BTW, there are various employees on board from our TA on Riviera, including the GM.

I believe that this thread remains on track since the topic is not having Norovirus on the ship but rather whether the compensation offered is enough. While I clearly feel that Oceania is giving a generous compensation (based on returning to port early - not because of Norovirus), discussing how other cruise lines handle this situation seems very on topic to me.

Not even close. 25% in an insult to all of us who had to go thru at least 5 days of washing, cleaning and kept on the ship for at least 2 hours extra in St. Maarten. Sure only lost 2 days, but the last 2 days on the ship were a speed run back to Miami with a lot of things on the ship closed or being washed down. 50% would have been more like the number that was fair. The reason for our early return was Norovirus and Oceania as the owner of the ship is responsible for everything that goes on during the cruise. Lets stop to blame some some mystery person from outer space and have Oceania own up to what happens on their ships and finally do the right thing.

Just for discussions sake, I am currently on Marina, which has no issues. While there are sanitizer dispensers set up all over the ship, there are ZERO actual people at the entrances of restaurants with the squirt bags.

I guess the big question is are the passenger using the gel stations ???

I guess the big question is are the passenger using the gel stations ???

The real question is, are the gel stations really killing the noro? The CDC does not seem to think so. Or is the gel something different from what they have tested and said it does nothing to kill the noro? A lot of questions, but no answers.

The real question is, are the gel stations really killing the noro? The CDC does not seem to think so. Or is the gel something different from what they have tested and said it does nothing to kill the noro? A lot of questions, but no answers.

There are some gels that have some effect on Norovirus

But not the ones you buy at Wally World

So now the Ocean Princess is a sick ship I hope they get it cleaned before she is handed over to O

Edited by LHT28

There are some gels that have some effect on Norovirus

But not the ones you buy at Wally World

So now the Ocean Princess is a sick ship I hope they get it cleaned before she is handed over to O

When is that going to happen? Thought it was done already. Guess I am wrong.