Tell me about your favorite diamond perks

APDMOM

Flaunting my Diamond PLUS status around the ship because it irritates so many....NOT... just kidding.

My favorite perk is, unquestionably, the free drinks. I like the environment of the Lounge. You can meet some fun people in there. The 3 free drinks is a fantastic option too. It saves a lot of money, and as some have mentioned, sometimes rates are not combinable with the Balcony Discount. But a good example of the savings on drinks, we did a Greek Isle cruise in Sep. Heavy port itinerary. We bought a 5 bottle wine package, and a total of 3 drinks the entire cruise! We would meet at the lounge every night for drinks, and that was it. Great Perk!

LOL! That was funny :D Thanks for weighing in with a bit of wit, followed by wisdom. :)

I personally don't equate an OBC that I will receive after fully paying for my cruise as the same as getting an upfront reduction on the price of the cruise I am taking to be the same thing. Others may see it as 'how does the offer net out'....but the difference would have to be tremendous for me to view it in this way and to date, that has not been the case. For use it made sense to use the balcony discount upfront.

I want to get the best upfront pricing for the cruise and then I have other options to utilize so I can receive OBC's to use onboard.

I agree with you, Paulette. I look at the "money out of pocket" spent. I will likely use the balcony discount more than the other sales. To me, the only time paying a bit more out of pocket works is when I know the OBC will cover gratuities, and therefore really save me money in the end.

Just Jewel and Majesty left without a DL. Jewel gets a DL in April. Then it will be just Majesty and Empress.

And both are scheduled for major renovations now and soon. (I am pretty sure that Empress is in Cadiz at this very moment).

Do we think that they will be getting dedicated lounges?

Stay tuned!

;)

Does cruising to achieve a certain level "prevent" you diamond members from checking out other cruise lines? I like Royal but I'm not "Royal or nothing!" I hate alcohol, so that discount doesn't matter to me, and I find that seeking "discounts" by obtaining enough points for a free flight and/or hotel stay negates any discount I'll find onboard.. At that point, would people like me still benefit from obtaining a status such as Diamond?

Hi I don't get it. I can't criticize RC because I never sailed them. However, I did an X TA last year, and most had statuses.

I started cruising SEP 2013, I have been on 4 cruises and 4 different lines. Currently booked on two this year on two repeat lines. One gave me an Ultimate beverage package, and no single supplement, and the other OBC Totaling 450$ and a Classic Package. I booked time frame and destinations, got pretty decent deals on both. So no, I won't sail one line just to get the points.

And if I were really disciplined I wouldn't book until the last two months.

So I may reach an elite status on a cruise line I don't foresee it in my near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We take a formal picture on every cruise so we love that we get 2 for free. We also take advantage of 3 free drinks during the dinner hour. We've never been to the Diamond Club because we've heard that its always crowded so we were thrilled when they introduced this benefit.

My wife really likes getting the photos and the drinks. I really like Royal and cruise with them a lot, but I just found that another line has a matching program, prove to them what level you are and they will match that, no starting over from the bottom.

Dying to know.... Which line?

This was our new perks at the bar for our Feb. 3 cruise on the Grandeur. You will notice that Beringer White Zin is no longer on it. We were told we could only get it at the Diamond Lounge. On our Jan. 24 cruise you could get white zin at the bar but 3 days into second cruise it changed. I took photo of print out that the Ambassador gave me when I inquired about not being able to get the wine at the bars. She was also surprised that it was no longer being offered at the bars. I guess perks on the card change by ship.

001_zpsbndqxv2w.jpg

We're also newly diamonds. If you get drinks in the Diamond Lounge, do they have to be drunk in the lounge or can you take them back to your state room.

If you can "takeaway", can I get a coffee for both myself and my wife or do we have to get our own?

Thanks.

They don't care much if you bring drinks (or coffee) out anymore. No problem taking two coffees out.

Sorry for possibly being dense here.

Do I understand there are unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge in the evening but from a limited selection?

Then do I also understand there are 3 drink "coupons" loaded on our SeaPass card daily? Or those 3 drinks can only be used during the evening happy hour at any bar on the ship, besides the MDR?

Turning Diamond in time for the Harmony TA in the fall so want to know all my options of whether to purchase the premium package or not.

Thanks!

Sorry for possibly being dense here.

Do I understand there are unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge in the evening but from a limited selection?

Then do I also understand there are 3 drink "coupons" loaded on our SeaPass card daily? Or those 3 drinks can only be used during the evening happy hour at any bar on the ship, besides the MDR?

Turning Diamond in time for the Harmony TA in the fall so want to know all my options of whether to purchase the premium package or not.

Thanks!

Yes, unlimited drinks in the DL, during the cocktail hour, which is usually 5pm to 8:30pm if early dinner is at 6pm. Shifts 30 minutes earlier if early dinner is 5:30pm.

The 3 drink vouchers can be used at any bar, same drinks as in the DL, and only during the DL's cocktail period. Any vouchers you don't use are lost, and you start with 3 the next day.

Edited by clarea

Yes, unlimited drinks in the DL, during the cocktail hour, which is usually 5pm to 8:30pm if early dinner is at 6pm. Shifts 30 minutes earlier if early dinner is 5:30pm.

The 3 drink vouchers can be used at any bar, same drinks as in the DL, and only during the DL's cocktail period. Any vouchers you don't use are lost, and you start with 3 the next day.

Perfect! So I anticipate I'll still get a drink package to get those morning bloody marys and premium liquor at dinner.

Are the bartenders wise enough to know I'll order a drink from the package during "happy hour" but if I wanted to use the voucher for a friend, they'd be cool with that? Complex, I know.

It's not that complicated. The vouchers (3) are yours to do with as you wish. When you go the bar just tell the bartender you want to use one of your vouchers for the drink. They'll ring it up that way.

I've never purchased the drink package, but I've seen a few people do this with their friends.

Tom

Perfect! So I anticipate I'll still get a drink package to get those morning bloody marys and premium liquor at dinner.

Are the bartenders wise enough to know I'll order a drink from the package during "happy hour" but if I wanted to use the voucher for a friend, they'd be cool with that? Complex, I know.

Hi MoM

Congrats on making it to diamond! So you will have already become diamond before sailing right? Cause you can't get the perks till AFTER the sailing that puts you over the number of points.

For us- that balcony discount usually just about makes the cost just about the same as an ocean view if you book early enough.

I like the free internet minutes and the discount on laundry (Though as the price per bag has gone up, it's pretty nominal now)

I never used to care about the diamond lounge and free drinks there because frankly, most times, it wasn't worth the free booze to have to spend time there, but now that they load the drinks onto your sea pass to drink where and with whom you choose, it's a great perk!

The free photo is nice too. We each get one, so it's really 2 photos!

Since the vouchers are limited, they don't seem to care if you use them to give drinks to others.

Does cruising to achieve a certain level "prevent" you diamond members from checking out other cruise lines? I like Royal but I'm not "Royal or nothing!" I hate alcohol, so that discount doesn't matter to me, and I find that seeking "discounts" by obtaining enough points for a free flight and/or hotel stay negates any discount I'll find onboard.. At that point, would people like me still benefit from obtaining a status such as Diamond?

I can't imagine cruising on one line exclusively, but I cruise frequently so I eventually achieve a higher level on most of the lines I like. The balcony discount on RCI is great, but I enjoy the benefits on other lines just as much - especially internet on Princess. I choose my cruises on itinerary and price - the rest is icing on the cake.