New orleans

mykindaparty

24 hrs before cruise in new orleans on a Thursday night, what are the must see and do?

If you like zydeco (sometimes Cajun) music, the Rock n' Bowl club (South Carrolton and Earhardt) has alive band, usually a very good one, every Thursday evening. It's a party. They have a website and schedule.

I just came back from NOLA this past Thursday!!!! Look on Livingsocial for deals! We got a 2 for one deal for Mardi Gras World where they make the floats and store them, they still have the set that paraded Tuesday befor last. We also got a 2 for one cemetery tour which included a tour around the Quarter and was extremely informative and interesting. Johnny's Poboys was amazing, Court of 2 sisters, Deanies Seafood (the bbq shrimp!!!) The Ruby Slipper Cafe for breakfast, Cafe Du Monde, The Praline Connection. Avoid Bourbon st. It smells like garbage and vomit and all the creepy dudes in NOLA seem to hang there. Do Royal street instead. The shops are nicer, tons of art galleries. Frenchman street is good for jazz clubs. There is a homeless problem around the Quarter, no one was overly aggressive but I live in NYC and I'm used to shaking off beggars but I know it can turn some people off so be wary

24 hrs before cruise in new orleans on a Thursday night, what are the must see and do?

I would recommend the World War II Museum, visiting the Cabildo and Jackson Square.

Food wise, I would recommend Central Grocery (923 Decatur) for a muffuletta, Cafe De Monde (800 Decatur) at the French Market across from Jackson Square for beignets and cafe au lait.

The is a restaurant called Mothers (401 Poydras) that has an outstanding poboy and jambalaya. Acme Oyster House also is very good.

Edited by djacobson

Hello everyone!! My family and I are cruising out of New Orleans in a few weeks. We will be there a couple of days ahead of time. We are not seafood lovers. Can anyone recommend a pub style restaurant that serves great food other than seafood. Or both for that matter. So long as seafood isn't the only option.

Thanks a lot

Heimey

Last month we stay 4 days prior to our cruise and 2 days after. Our hotel was on Bourbon Street. Had so much fun watching what happening on Bourbon. We even participated in a parade. As mentioned above, The Ruby Slipper was great for breakfast. We ate at Pat O'Brien's twice, loved the courtyard fountain! We also at lunch twice at Bayou Burger, which is right on Bourbon. Really great food. Also mentioned above is the homeless situation. Every time we had leftovers at a meal, we would get them to go and offer it to a homeless person in stead of throwing it out.

If your only there for 1 day, I would suggest doing one or two of the following things: check out the French Market, ride the street car to the Garden District, go on an evening ghost tour, just walk about the French quarter.:D

We want to do a cruise from NOLA "someday" and spend a few days there pre cruise, so I was interested in this thread. I googled the WW2 museum. Looks awesome, but beware of prices. $24.50 for adults. I don't do museums and IDK if this is the "norm." Just a heads up! :cool:

Hello everyone!! My family and I are cruising out of New Orleans in a few weeks. We will be there a couple of days ahead of time. We are not seafood lovers. Can anyone recommend a pub style restaurant that serves great food other than seafood. Or both for that matter. So long as seafood isn't the only option.

Thanks a lot

Heimey

Most restaurants in NOLA offer options other than seafood (I'm allergic). We don't have a lot of "pub style" restaurants. There is a Gordon Biersch restaurant near the cruise ship terminal that is "pub" type food and it's pretty good. There are a lot of "poboy" shops, which is probably your best bet for New Orleans, non-seafood. Johnny's as mentioned above is good. Mother's is also a favorite for tourists. Muriel's near the port is also a favorite spot.

I'd strongly encourage you to extend you time to spend at least a few days in NOLA if you can. If not, I would recommend keeping your schedule flexible and just walking around the French Quarter and doing and eating whatever looks good. Your 24 hours will go so quick, it's just not enough time to plan to do much. All the above suggestions are great but avoid committing yourself to doing something which is going to suck up a bunch of your very limited time. Walk up and down Bourbon and Royal Streets and Decatur down by the river, and along Frenchmen at night for the live music.

For the other poster asking about non-seafood options in NOLA, po-boys are a great option and can be ordered at most traditional NOLA style restaurants. For a few specific suggestions other than po boys, the Joint is a very good bbq spot in the Bywater and Willie Mae's towards Uptown on St. Charles has some of the best fried chicken and traditional NOLA soul food ever. don't miss their butter beans and mac n cheese!

I am so confused. We received a hotel stay at HI Metairie near Airport in our cruise package that includes parking and free shuttle back and forth to our cruise.

Would appreciate info to help me decide between Plan A and Plan B below:

Plan A: Stay at the HI Metairie Airport for an extra night before the cruise so we'd have a total of 2 nights there. We'd arrive at the hotel around noon the first day and take a taxi or drive/park our car to see some attractions downtown.

The second day we thought we'd take a taxi or Uber downtown and back and spend the day and part of that evening sightseeing, eating and trying great drinks.

From what I read the cost of a taxi is about $39 each way. That's not so bad, but I'm worried about sitting in traffic and having a huge taxi bill.

Plan B: The alternative would be to just stay in the Metaire hotel the night before our cruise and get a hotel nearer to downtown and streetcar for the night our cruise disembarks. However, I believe the downtown hotels with extra parking charges are extremely high.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Most restaurants in NOLA offer options other than seafood (I'm allergic). We don't have a lot of "pub style" restaurants. There is a Gordon Biersch restaurant near the cruise ship terminal that is "pub" type food and it's pretty good. There are a lot of "poboy" shops, which is probably your best bet for New Orleans, non-seafood. Johnny's as mentioned above is good. Mother's is also a favorite for tourists. Muriel's near the port is also a favorite spot.

Muriel's would be first on my list. It ain't exactly pub cheap though lol.