Have you ever cruised in hurricane season?

tbmrt

Timing and price were right for us so we booked the Dream 9/18......

A bit worried since it is hurricane season.

We're not worried about having to switch ports if Captain decides to due to weather because we've been to those on our cruise in the past.

Took out trip insurance just in case.

Would be interested in input from cruisers regarding your experiences w/cruising in hurricane season...good and bad.

Thanks!

Taken seven Caribbean cruises; none during hurricane season. However a friend's very first cruise, was during that time period. A tropical storm created havoc. The ship had to try and out race the storm, back to Miami. The sea was extremely rough, of course.

I prefer the stability of cruising, at other times.

Timing and price were right for us so we booked the Dream 9/18......

A bit worried since it is hurricane season.

We're not worried about having to switch ports if Captain decides to due to weather because we've been to those on our cruise in the past.

Took out trip insurance just in case.

Would be interested in input from cruisers regarding your experiences w/cruising in hurricane season...good and bad.

Thanks!

Yes. We once took a cruise in September. The price was too good to pass up. We knew that the weather would be "iffy", and that there was a possibility that the itinerary could change. Because of some rough weather, we had to skip Grand Cayman. There were 10 -12 foot swells, and it was too dangerous to take tender boats to the island. A disappointment, but the captain made the right call. Passenger safety comes first. I heard a few passengers grumbling and saying "I'll never sail on Carnival again!", as if Carnival somehow had control of the weather. Despite that one change, we still had a fun time.

We have often sailed in hurricane season because our grandson always comes with us and we don't take him out of school. Never had any real problems, but we did miss one of the tender ports - can't remember which one. There was some bad weather and Captain sailed around it, so no real ill effects from the storm. PS - we always get trip insurance.

Our very first cruise was during the hurricane season, and was sometime in September of 2009. We were OK with the itinerary changing if needed - but it wasn't necessary. The weather was beautiful and we made both Nassau and HMC as expected.

I know there is always a chance that you will hit bad weather - but I think as long as you go into that with a positive outlook on things changing if needed, then you should be fine!

We cruised 3 years in a row during hurricane season and have never had any problems. We usually leave out of Galveston cause I have family in the area. We also buy travel insurance. I am booked on a cruise in October this year and I not the slightest bit worried.

I cruise during hurricane season every year. Out of 15+ cruises during hurricane season, have had tropical storms on 2. On 1, we were in port while a nasty storm came out of nowhere (not sure if it was a tropical storm or just a bad storm). Had to wait to get onto the tender. One the other, tropical storm was going through the Caribbean and the captain went around. Had a bit of rough seas, but nothing worse than doing the Southern Caribbean during their winter.

If, and it is a huge IF, you have a hurricane and/or tropical storm while you are cruising, the captain will go around it. He will either cancel the port and you get an extra at sea day, or they sometimes will see if they can re-route to another port.

I will continue to cruise during hurricane season. The prices are just too doggone good to pass up!

We've cruised numerous times in September-October and weather has never been a problem, aside from those ten minute showers on Caribbean afternoons.

We once encountered a nor'easter during a Bermuda cruise but there was nothing frightening about it.

Cooler weather and discounted fares will keep us coming back. :)

Like some others here, the majority of our cruises have been during hurricane season and we've never had a problem. As a matter of fact, our next (#16) cruise is Oct 1st.

The worst weather we've ever encountered was in January.

I have cruised twice during hurricane season. Both in October. Our very first cruise we had a hurricane chasing us. It rained when we got to the Cayman Island's but the sea was calm. We had to leave Cozumel early. They had canceled all water activities that day. The weather was warm and sunny but the ocean was a little choppy. That night it was a little rough but not real bad. The other time we took a Halloween cruise. Weather was perfect the whole time. We also took a cruise in July out of Charleston. Had bad weather for the first two days. Ship was rocking pretty bad the second day. It was a tropical storm. There were a lot of green people on board that day. Once we got into the Caribbean the weather was perfect. Hopefully your weather will be great! Hope you have fun.

YES...... last week of August last summer. We flew into Miami to get on the Glory, heading to eastern caribbean.... and a hurricane was headed directly into our path to St Thomas. When we arrived for checkin to the cruise, we were ALL handed a sheet saying the itinerary had been switched to Western caribbean. Some of the people were irrate, screaming and ranting. Amazing! So you would rather said directly into a hurricane? ***. One couple, at our dinner table every night, could not get over it, had to bring it up every night that they had already done the western and this cruise was a waste for them. Boo hoo. You are cruising, shut up!

We had a great cruise, even though we had just done every port on the western caribbean itinerary during the past year. Oh well, just another reason to go on another cruise!!

We have sailed three times, all in hurricane season. We have only had rough seas 1 day out of the three cruises. Really, it's just a crap shoot. You can trust that the captains aren't going to do anything to risk the lives of the passengers or the very expensive cruise ship that they are responsible for. Just be flexible and go with an open mind. It sounds to me like you are on the right course (pun intended).

Yes, never had a problem. The recent incident happened off season. They hit a big storm. From what I've read and seen in the news the Captain should have known it would intensify.

Very strange that he would choose to sail into it not to mention the head office of RCCL allowed him to do so.

YES...... last week of August last summer. We flew into Miami to get on the Glory, heading to eastern caribbean.... and a hurricane was headed directly into our path to St Thomas. When we arrived for checkin to the cruise, we were ALL handed a sheet saying the itinerary had been switched to Western caribbean. Some of the people were irrate, screaming and ranting. Amazing! So you would rather said directly into a hurricane? ***. One couple, at our dinner table every night, could not get over it, had to bring it up every night that they had already done the western and this cruise was a waste for them. Boo hoo. You are cruising, shut up!

We had a great cruise, even though we had just done every port on the western caribbean itinerary during the past year. Oh well, just another reason to go on another cruise!!

Learned a long time ago there is no guarantee that the cruise you booked will go where you booked. Better to change itinerary than risk the ship and passengers sailing thru a major storm.

Have sailed twice during this time of the year, early October, both times itinerary was completely changed. We were okay with this, because safety is the most important issue. However, I would suggest not booking Bermuda (which is usually a more costly cruise) during this time, due to the fact theres no way to avoid a hurricane in that area. Most cruises during that timeframe are usually priced for the season, so it's part of the risk you take. Like I stated, we were okay with our itinerary changes, but have to admit the Canceling of Bermuda was kind of a disappointment since it was a more expensive cruise even during hurricane season. As someone else mentioned above, hurricane season does last through most of the cruising season, it's just more likely to happen in the early fall.

I have cruised many times during the season. Once we were on during HURRICANE Sandy.We were rerouted during that cruise and missed a few stops but the captain and crew were great. The weather was extreme but I always felt safe due to our captain and crew. I am cruising again this August. We shall see....Isn't the saying lightning don't strike twice? Positive vibes!:):):)

What you can "hurricane season" we just call "summer"... Yes we cruise all the time... Had a few route adjustments, missed ports, rain etc... But again.. Summer. Actually we always had the worst weather during winter and spring due to cold fronts sweeping through and north winds kicking against the Gulf Stream... They generally re-route to avoid hurricanes since most are well predicted and follow patterns.

Hurricane season prices are generally lower exactly for that reason ... hurricanes can happen :D (note: we always buy trip insurance)

That said ,,,, we see it as pick and pray :eek:... but the odds for not having a storm are better than for having one.

We don't get seasick so a tropical storm rocking the boat doesn't make much difference to us.

We've outrun tropical storms on a cruise ship a couple of times but nothing that would ruin the cruise.