Need Help Traveling With A Child- Parent Consent Form/Passport

lunaxmars

I am traveling next month with my little sister whom I am not the legal guardian of. I've got the Parent Consent Release Form signed by my mother who is her legal guardian. I have two questions because after I asked my personal cruise consultant my second question- he's made me very nervous with his answers.

1) The Parent Consent Release form says both living parents must sign the form. My sister's father lives about 2,000 miles away and is not part of her life. My PCC said that it's fine with just my mom's signature and a copy of her photo ID. Is this true?

2) I am doing the Gem 10 Day that stops in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, St Maarten, and the British Virgin Islands. I know for PR and the Virgin Islands she does not need a passport, but what about St Maarten and the British Virgin Islands? When I asked my PCC, he said he was "not an expert with that stuff" and referred me to travel.state.gov, which is a very confusing website. I don't know why he didn't just give me the NCL Required Travel Documentation page. On the NCL website, it seems to say that for sailings that are closed loop in the Caribbean, a Birth Certificate will be fine for a child. Is that so?

I really appreciate any help with this. It's the first time I'm traveling with a child!

I am traveling next month with my little sister whom I am not the legal guardian of. I've got the Parent Consent Release Form signed by my mother who is her legal guardian. I have two questions because after I asked my personal cruise consultant my second question- he's made me very nervous with his answers.

1) The Parent Consent Release form says both living parents must sign the form. My sister's father lives about 2,000 miles away and is not part of her life. My PCC said that it's fine with just my mom's signature and a copy of her photo ID. Is this true?

2) I am doing the Gem 10 Day that stops in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, St Maarten, and the British Virgin Islands. I know for PR and the Virgin Islands she does not need a passport, but what about St Maarten and the British Virgin Islands? When I asked my PCC, he said he was "not an expert with that stuff" and referred me to travel.state.gov, which is a very confusing website. I don't know why he didn't just give me the NCL Required Travel Documentation page. On the NCL website, it seems to say that for sailings that are closed loop in the Caribbean, a Birth Certificate will be fine for a child. Is that so?

I really appreciate any help with this. It's the first time I'm traveling with a child!

If your sister is 15 or under her birth certificate will suffice if it was issued by a government agency and if she is 16 or over she will need a government issued photo ID to go with it. If something happens and she needs to fly back early she would need to get a document from the Consulate/Embassy to let her fly (unless of course you are flying from a US territory). If your mother is sole legal guardian then I would think her signature alone would be enough.

Edited by sparks1093

If your sister is 15 or under her birth certificate will suffice if it was issued by a government agency and if she is 16 or over she will need a government issued photo ID to go with it. If something happens and she needs to fly back early she would need to get a document from the Consulate/Embassy to let her fly (unless of course you are flying from a US territory). If your mother is sole legal guardian then I would think her signature alone would be enough.

My apologies, I forgot to write that she is 9 yrs old. Thanks for your response! I think her father is still considered a legal guardian, I don't recall my mother ever getting sole guardianship. But my PCC said that they understand "in this day and age there are a lot of single parents". I just don't want to get to the port and her not get on the ship because of paperwork. I (as she) would be devastated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by lunaxmars

Yes if your mom is the sole guardian then that should be fine. But can you bring a copy of those court papers stating that just to be safe? And yes birth certificate is fine too.

I don't believe my mother is the sole guardian. I have a notarized document that states I am a guardian (my sister lives with me), which I am absolutely also bringing- but don't think it would help much. I just want to make sure I cross all my Ts and dot my Is. I don't want any surprises. Glad to know just a birth certificate will be ok!

My apologies, I forgot to write that she is 9 yrs old. Thanks for your response! I think her father is still considered a legal guardian, I don't recall my mother ever getting sole guardianship. But my PCC said that they understand "in this day and age there are a lot of single parents". I just don't want to get to the port and her not get on the ship because of paperwork. I (as she) would be devastated!

Unfortunately, "in this day and age", there has also been increasing concern - and therefore vigilance - about "parental abductions".

This is where the non-custodial parent "takes" the child to another country (often one where forcing a return is difficult or impossible).

NCL (or any other cruise line or airline, etc.) has no way to know if "the other parent" has any custody rights or is dead.

So court papers MAY be required (depending upon how careful the line is being) showing either full custody by the traveling parent, or death of the other parent UNLESS "the other parent" has given written permission.

Have you checked NCL's requirements about this, for the ports you will be seeing?

And have you check with the US agencies involved?

Will the father NOT give permission?

If that's not the problem, then just get the notarized docs from him, and you are all set (with birth certificate showing that both parents are the ones accompanying or giving written permission).

Here is the key wording that you already know about, because you wrote it:

"...The Parent Consent Release form says both living parents must sign the form..."

Good luck.

I think it is important to note it is the Port Authority, not NCL, that will determine if you and your sister have proper documentation to board the ship. So even though the travel.gov website is confusing, it is actually your best bet to get accurate information.

I don't believe my mother is the sole guardian. I have a notarized document that states I am a guardian (my sister lives with me), which I am absolutely also bringing- but don't think it would help much. I just want to make sure I cross all my Ts and dot my Is. I don't want any surprises. Glad to know just a birth certificate will be ok!

Can you email or fax the form to her Dad and will he sign it and send it back?

You do not need a passport for those islands, but you DO need the consent of both parents. The only exception is if your mom has sole legal custody.