New to Oceania - confused about restaurant reservations

M&Dcruisers

Where does one inquire about making add'l reservations once onboard an R class ship? Thanks!

And if you are in a suite (PH, VS or OS on an "R" ship), ask the butler.

Newbies often do not realize that the "one reservation per restaurant" is a guarantee, not a limitation. As others have already said, if you are on a cruise where lots of people want extra reservations -- it can be difficult. If you are on a cruise with people like us (who tend not to use all of our available reservations), then it may not be difficult at all.

Mura

Thanks everyone (and sorry for hijacking the thread). There's a few things on the Toscana menu that I want to try and my guaranteed 2 trips there for the next cruise aren't going to cut it. :) I love Polo but we have so many really great steakhouses in Orlando that it's not "as special" (first world problems all the way) :D

You can also ask the maitre d when you enter the gdr for dinner. Sometimes there are openings. Some people actually go to the specialties and ask. You never know

I've posted this before but on our first Marina cruise (Oct '11) we'd tried to book a table for 6 in Jacques on the first night but I didn't have the other booking numbers so the butler couldn't do it.

Okay, so we went down to the GDR. When we told the maitre d' that we needed a table for 6 he asked us if we wanted to go to Jacques ...

So we did.

This WAS the first evening when it seems that specialty restaurant reservations are often easier to get.

On a later cruise, also on Marina, we showed up in Jacques and asked if they had a table for two. The maitre d' recognized us from our previous cruise but he did NOT have space.

So you never know ... But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Mura

I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes, if you are talking about attempts to bribe the maitre d' to give you a table!

But I don't see a problem with checking to see if there might be a cancellation that would give you a place ...

Mura

Used to be the podium at the entrance to the Terrace (starboard side)

It still is. The more flexible one is about the time and table size, the more likely one is to get extra reservations.

As posted above, sometimes you can get many extra ones - other times just one or none.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes, if you are talking about attempts to bribe the maitre d' to give you a table!

But I don't see a problem with checking to see if there might be a cancellation that would give you a place ...

Mura

I was thinking that they wanted people to make reservations not just show up at the restaurants when they feel like it

Bribing not allowed either :D

It still is. The more flexible one is about the time and table size, the more likely one is to get extra reservations.

As posted above, sometimes you can get many extra ones - other times just one or none.

Thanks Paul we are back on Regatta in April ..last time was 2008

geez time flies

I'll be taking my first Oceania cruise in April. I have a Concierge class room and have made my allotted one reservation per speciality restaurant. Am I able to make additional restaurant reservations when I board the ship?

Just off the Marina and most of our specialty bookings were at 6:30.

They were often only 30 - 50% full however they were full at later times.

Just off the Marina and most of our specialty bookings were at 6:30.

They were often only 30 - 50% full however they were full at later times.

They do not seem to fully book the restaurants for the earlier sittings

Maybe because they do not know how many courses people will order & how long it will take (just guessing)

Never seen any of them full when dining early

That may be how it worked on your cruise but not necessarily on all.

If enough people want Toscana reservations, extras won't be available for everybody. We have often gotten extra reservations for Toscana, but not on every cruise we've taken.

Mura

Go to the website and select MY ACCOUNT. If you haven't registered before, you will have to do so. At your account you should see your booking. If you don't, enter the information including your booking number.

At some point after final payment you will be eligible to make your dining reservations. It's pretty clear at the website but I can't say more than I have already.

Maybe someone else can!

You can also call Oceania or have your TA do the work. But once you've gone through the process, it's easy enough to do online.

In going through the process myself just now I discovered that our next cruise (the first of three we are taking but only recently booked) was on our list. So I entered the info and discovered that we can make our dining reservations on April 11th for a June 25th departure.

Mura

Thanks Mura And LHT28, My problem was that my booking was loacked, so I contacted Oceamia and I see it, good thing I did ck the booking th e flight was added to it and we had the worse seat so I contacted the airline and changed them. I want to thank you guys for all the information you provide.

Hi, I'm new to Oceania, looking forward to our June cruise. One of the things I really like is that the "speciality" restaurants, if they call them that, are "free" with one exception, unlike on most ships where there is an upcharge.

My question is, does it matter which days you book the special restaurants and when you eat in the GDR? Should I look at the itinerary and figure out which days are best depending on what time we get back from the excursions? Are there certain nights in the GDR that are special, like the Captain's dinner in some of the other lines? Should we try to book all of the special restaurants to try them all? Are there menus for those restaurants so I can see if I even like what's offered? I understand the food in the GDR is very good, and I know there's enough variety I could find something I like. Advice please? Thanks!

Edited by cruisegal415