All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

We need to redo our deck, I want to do the recycled plastic as the Colorado sun, snow, heat & altitude have destroyed any Paint/stain that we use. Next year. 

yay Anita!  Sounds like a perfect place for your son!  Huge relief 

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

A deck was the original plan for this year, until I found out the cost was more than planned so we were aiming for next year.  Then things came up....but we will get a deck at some point!  I really, really want an outdoor area.  If money wasn't an option, I'd have a screened in porch opening up to a deck.   At this point in life though, I will take just a deck.  The cost Is just one of those things.  You pick and choose, right?

The snow here in the winter and then the hot sun in the summer have me determined to get a composite for the deck.  It will cost a lot more than pressure treated lumber, but it won't need restaining every year and will last twice as long.  It will be well worth it in the end.

I've been thinking about chalk paint.  I also had another thought.  Metallic?  Like a dark oil rubbed bronze or something like that?  I am pretty sure you can pick up metallic paint in Lowe's or HD.  I just need to think it out.  If I do go with chalk paint or mineral paint, I was thinking a darker ivory.  I have white woodwork throughout my home, and I hate putting different shades of white in a room so the ivory would need to be dark enough to create contrast, and not just feel dirty looking next to the white.

Maybe I'm just being silly put I want it to be some sort of warm color that seems to harmonize with the finish on the base of the table.  So I don't want a light shade of white, a dark color or a bright color....hm...

• Like 1

Laurie , Have you considered a paver patio instead of a deck . The pavers only need occasional pressure washing .My daughter who lives in upstate NY just tore out her deck and replaced it with the pavers . We also have a paver patio on our first floor .Our deck is elevated 17 feet because we live on the water . Otherwise I would not have a deck .

• Like 1

We have a 12x20 paver patio adjacent to a 10x10 paver patio in our backyard; very low maintenance. Our 20x40 upper level deck, however, is a different story. Definitely not low maintenance (it’s the only way we can access our backyard from the upper level)

granddaughter leaves today to go back to her Mom, wish she’d just stay here!  Sorry, I’m grumpy today. Melody

ACDAA69A-4563-4C78-8877-54C198FA0649.jpeg

9CE24DB1-2058-460F-9C65-2A7F59575194.jpeg

Laurie...I'll definitely share the refurbished fan! I still need to do a second coat on the metal. And do the blades.

Focus changed last week to getting the big furniture out of the apt. Then to doing "last things before he leaves" with DS. He left yesterday and is currently making his way to the hotel where he will self-isolate for 14 days. NOW...the focus is on clearing out the last loads from the apt...the closets what is remaining and that is not an insignificant amount of stuff...so several loads. Then the final cleaning...

Yesterday we put our bed back together. It seems so tall! Especially after sleeping on a mattress on the floor since July 8! Getting in and out of bed is so much easier! OMG.

The moving/homeownership increased activity lifestyle is changing my body composition. Yay! I can tell by my clothes that my upper back is slimming down and my thighs are too. I don't own a scale any longer. So I'm judging solely by looks and feel and how clothes fit.

It's odd to have my dresser after not having it for over a month. I have more choices in clothes but no reason to wear anything different than what I have been. Also no motivation or care to. After having had "a break" from the greater part of my wardrobe...I find that I don't miss anything that I hadn't already brought...a part of that weather related. But I can also share that as more and more things enter our home...I can feel it. The house gets heavier and heavier...and I can also feel my motivation for dealing get a bit overwhelmed by the volume. I'm much more aware of FEELING the effects of the clutter. I'm not looking for it...I'm really hoping to have a happy home that is sorted and settled! But man oh man...challenging.

We have until the 21st to be done with the apt. The timing works out well...DS is off to school...we're a bit sad and grateful all at the same time...DH has work and with the urgency of the move, I have work too. The deadline helps and it's a good distraction from feeling the lack of DS around the house. I will say...I'm so very grateful that DS was able to be with us for these 5 months. DH was especially happy since he had done the traveling work for the last half of DS's senior year in HS. And I'm glad to have some DS memories in the house...that he was here for the purchase and the move. It's nice. 

• Like 1

Anita, Hope all goes well for your DS in school. Is he isolating in England?  Sounds like you’re getting all put together & really settling in on the Space Coast. 

I know what you mean about clothes. I’m doing another purge of my closets & drawers after I have this seroma drained tomorrow (I’m hoping that bending over will be easier!!!). Melody

• Like 1

DS is having to do a 14-day quarantine. He's all settled at the hotel we picked out. He has a kitchenette and we've got groceries being delivered. It's a nice set up for self isolating. And handy to have all the amenities and conveniences. His move in date for the flat is Aug 31, so he'll check out of the hotel and move into his flat...so very nice timing.

I hope your procedure tomorrow does help. What a pain, Melody. Hopefully this will be it and you can move forward.

We are settling in. I just unloaded the majority of the rest of our bedroom. There's still a few things in DH's closet. It isn't a one for one transfer so it feels like I just dumped a mess into the house. It'll take some figuring to sort how to deal with our stuff in this place. This is what makes me crazy...but I have nothing but time for dealing and organizing, etc...I just have to stay motivated and take care of it. 

• Like 1

Well I thought I would be the absolutely LAST person here to post a travel wardrobe these days! I went to Pittsburgh last week to meet my brother for a few days. We had the most wonderful time. It was a 5 hour drive for him, 6 for me. I rented a car so I could leave mine home with DH since we are a one-car family. I arrived about 4:00 and he was already there.

We stayed at a Doubletree Hotel by Hilton in a neighborhood called Green Tree on the southside. I chose it because it had outdoor seating, free parking, and each room had separate ventilation -- the three things that were a must for me. The pool was a nice bonus. Hilton has a very good cleanliness/sanitizing program in place that seemed effective: my room was very clean, the halls were clean, the public spaces empty for the most part and tidy. Masks were evident on the staff and probably 85% of the guests. We always rode the elevator just the two of us. People seemed un-surprised and accommodating if the door opened and we asked them to wait for the next one. We were on the 7th floor, so no upstairs neighbors keeping us awake. Since the hotel was on a hill, we would go down to the 5th floor and walk out the back entrance to the back parking lot, where our cars were parked just under our rooms (no having to walk through the lobby all the time). In this picture, the back part of the hotel looks just three stories tall because of how the facility steps down the hill, but from the other side you could see all 7.

Doubletree.jpg.62b5f57c25277484aa39bea6bd2c283c.jpg

I'm a benefits member in several hotel chains. With the Hilton Honors app I was able to check us both in the night before, choose our side-by-side rooms, authorize my brother to check in before me, and do remote checkout when we left. All I had to do was stop and pick up my card key when I got there. They also allow keyless entry using an app on your phone, but I didn't want that option.

The pool had a limit of 25 people, so you had to sign up for a time slot at the desk ahead of time, and then check in with them before going to the pool. When you arrived for your time slot they handed you a towel. All but one of the access doors to the pool were closed but the one nearest the desk, where they kept an eye on who went in. The pool had an inside section that was under that mansard roof section on the left in the pic, which was equal in size to the outside pool, maybe a tad bigger. You could swim from one to the other through a gap at the bottom of the window. We went for a swim after we dropped our bags, and there were at most 10 persons in the pool including us, with some kids going inside for part of the time.  We never felt the least crowded. It worked out very well. I surmise from recent TA posts that the weekends get busy with locals staying overnight to take advantage of the pool for their kids, but the weekdays were very quiet (for a pool with some kids in it).

So, as Anita can attest, safe hotel stays are possible with some planning.

After swimming we called a local Mexican restaurant and asked if they had outdoor seating. They said yes so off we went on a very short drive. They had dragged a table and chairs outside for us! Not in the parking lot, but just in front of the windows. We got served by the owner and had a lovely chat with him, partly in Spanish -- I am so out of practice! He and his brother had been there for 17 years this summer. The food was amazingly good and fresh. We went back to the hotel, grabbed a glass of wine each, and sat on benches outside and visited for a long time. It was wonderful.

Here is my travel outfit. It was going to be in the 90s in PGH. I love this shift dress that I got at Steinmart. I've worn it so much this summer. Dansko sandals that are great for walking. Tiny turquoise ball earrings. Hat for the sun. I planned to wash this dress in the sink and wear again for the drive home.

20200811_163935.jpg.810264b18cb9d3f0c5213e6e44a53600.jpg

I took my favorite brown bathing suit from Lands End and a pair of black shorts to wear over it when going to the pool. I also brought a rash guard and bottoms plus a bigger hat so I didn't have to lather up in sunscreen in case we wanted to swim during the day, but I didn't end up using them.

20200811_164318.jpg.5cd83f8a2c937b4d2b7ad00a386ca151.jpg

Day One turned out to be successful on all fronts. 😁

• Like 3

Melody...feeling better?

I just have to say...I have not been this physically active in a very long time. Yesterday just about wore. Me. Out. OMG. So we have over half an acre...and the house isn't that big, so we have a lot of yard...and most of that yard is lawn...and the deal is that we have so many plans for the yard. I like outdoor spaces...so I have patio plans...and I have been gardening plans...so eventually, the lawn will be much, much smaller. Meanwhile...because I am me...we bought the same battery powered push mower that we had purchased in GA and sold to the incoming tenants when we left GA. And I mowed the entire yard yesterday...

Whew.

Luckily...like much of FL...the yard is pretty darn flat...

Laurie...I like the idea of a deck. We have a beautiful mature oak in the backyard. It's lovely...and because of the strong shade...not much grows under it. I think it'd be lovely to have a deck back there under the oak. My issue with decks normally is that they require so much more maintenance than most patios. But I think a deck would have a vibe that I'd like to look at. IDK why but a deck makes me think of Asian gardens? Maybe it's going to the Japanese Tea Gardens in SF so many times over the years. I think of the arched bridges and a deck overlooking a water feature...

So that would be an amazing thing in my yard...to have a deck over there and then a water feature pool... So many jokes with some friends I've shared with but we're thinking about getting a natural pool. It's a big thing over in the UK and Europe, isn't really anything in the states, but the idea is that you have a planned water plant area and a pump and water circulation and aeration so that the plants are what keep the water clean. It's a self sustained eco-system that means you can have a chemical free pool. Once it is established, the maintenance is no more than normal gardening for such things. And they are SO PRETTY with the greenery so close to the water...

We're going to contact some natural pool builders to see about having someone come out to the house to look at the yard to talk to us about it. You have the swimming zone and the regeneration zone...the size of the regeneration zone is based on the size of the swimming zone and how many people may be using the pool. We need to see how much yard this idea will take...and also where in the yard may be the best place for it because this will affect everything. Even if we don't do the pool right away (which we won't), we don't want to create issues with access for whatever would be used to dig out the hole with the landscaping.

So this is a look I like:

Image-8-19-20-at-9-55-AM.jpg

I can imagine a deck going right up to the water like in this photo...but I'd like the deck to be more substantial...not necessarily an access to the pool...just an overlook I guess...with a railing even.

But first...finish moving. I'm off to do the last two loads.

• Like 1

Wow Anita, that's one pretty pool.

Melody, hope you are feeling better now.

Back to Pittsburgh. Our first full day was partially planned. We got an early start because we wanted to visit the Pittsburgh Zoo as soon as it opened. We knew it would be a fun outdoor place to hang out, and I love animals. It turned out to be very pretty also, with beautiful landscaping and lots of trees, and a natural design that followed the topography. Pittsburgh is quite hilly, which I hadn't expected. Halfway through there is an area with restaurants and shops, which were closed at this time. They did have a tent where you could order from a basic menu, and then pickup at the door of the main restaurant. There were umbrella tables in the plaza. We sat and drank some water there, and the shade felt good.

https://www.pittsburghzoo.org/

This was my outfit for the day. I love this jjill dress because it is a lightweight cotton that works well on hot days, plus it has pockets for holding hand sanitizer etc. A sunhat is a must for me if I'm out in the sun for very long. I love this hat... it is great for lounging because the back doesn't hit your chair, and the brim when it's down makes great shade for reading, but you can turn it up for walking around. Super versatile.

20200811_164756.jpg.65a741c6028eaa7fe5f39fa6fe8ce0ab.jpg

zoo01.jpg.f799b596cd6b4a3435aa7c517c3d789b.jpg

zoo02.jpg.1de7c749218223598a30fa6da844ecea.jpg

zoo03.jpg.da02c1f031fddb3a7e3fb6644987ed8c.jpg

This guy was soooo funny. He would sigh. Then roll in the grass. Then sit up and scratch. Then sigh again and lay down to sleep. Then roll around again. Such a drama queen.

zoo05.jpg.93da06c5eb1b5ced26955d7b73f9b3be.jpg

• Like 2

More photos at the zoo. The sun was so bright my camera was freaking out a bit.

zoo06.jpg.8a98dafab50b6eb8034bfad10d37b0e2.jpg

This necklace was my Christmas present, and believe it or not, this is the first time I wore it. It's called Stars of the Met and is from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. Each star appears in a painting or object at the museum.

zoo07.jpg.7d6f27bbdc3aae1446c3c216ba7e8f04.jpg

zoo08.jpg.4d024e85348ac2197a3f88869a06d822.jpg

These monkeys were so sweet all curled up together and sleeping.

zoo09.jpg.7ddffb9609a12ca168b3c42f6e686b7f.jpg

A cloud leopard. Small and beautiful.

zoo10.jpg.dc54ef1d1a5c00169157658cfc730eb3.jpg

• Like 2

Margaret, what a lovely zoo! So nice to see animals in a natural setting. Our zoo also has doin a good job with that and is now undertaking another phase of the renovation. Your outfit looks so nice on you and perfect for a hot summer day. 

Melody, hope you are feeling much better and not hurting quite so much. 

Anita, that pool is beautiful. Your plans to renovate your yard sound interesting. It’s good to have projects to look forward to since travel is complicated right now. 

Well another 108 degree, bad air alert day for us. Lots of wildfires in the state and possibility of rolling black outs. 😌

Sharon

• Like 1

I love the PIT Zoo!!  When I was a kid growing up in South Central PA, we'd make daytrips to Pittsburgh.  The Zoo, the Buehl Planetarium, Kennywood Park, ball games at Forbes Field (yes, I am that old), Pitt football games.  We'd do one day in the beginning of December (usually the 1st day of deer season - a school holiday) and go to Kauffman's for our Christmas shopping. 

I still have a thing for zoos - if there is one where I'm going, I'll try to hit it up.  

Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your brother.

• Like 1

We stayed at the zoo until about 1pm when we wanted some lunch. Thanks to Google we found a Panera Bread nearby that had umbrella tables. It is in an area-in-transition called Bakery Square. There was quite a bit of construction going on, and we saw lots of yoga pants and little dogs. It appears to be a young professionals kind of neighborhood. All the new stores etc. were geared that way. No Marshall's in sight. 😄

https://bakery-square.com/neighborhood/

There was a place I knew my brother wanted to go... but he was being polite because he knew I would be a bit bored. But I knew he would LOVE it --  LOOOOVE it! -- so after lunch we hit Jerry's. It is one of the most famous record stores in the country, and DB is a huge audiophile with an encyclopedia of music in his head. He can talk about the different pressings of an album, and when there were changes in materials, and what different cartridges can to do the sound. He's a regular guest writer on a music blog (not as a job, just for fun).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g53449-d12995797-Reviews-Jerry_s_Records-Pittsburgh_Pennsylvania.html

After a while I got tired of standing while he browsed, so I went to the car and checked texts and voicemails until he was done. He was extremely happy with his few purchases and I know the first thing he was going to do at home was head to the turntable.

At this point we were hot and tired, and went back to the hotel for a nap before dinner. We were both tired from our drives on Wednesday.

The outdoor dining scene was a bit different than NYC because they can't use the streets. So except for places like Market Square, or ones with balconies or patios, restaurants with added outdoor seating are limited. A few of the places I called did not take reservations, and there were significant wait times, like 1.5 hours at a seafood place on the water. Our solution was to call early and dine at 6. Tonight we chose Hidden Harbor, which had paired up with their neighbor The Independent Brewing Company that had a backyard space with a few tents. In PGH, bars could only open if they also served food, hence the partnership. We had amazing burgers and I ordered a fine Belgian dark beer. So good after a hot day.

independent.jpg.4d1bf8b9a712c5003b9b20ad1872f229.jpg

independent2.jpg.6f838aa610b7b158930da425b9c7853b.jpg

It was fun just to drive through Pittsburgh and see the city. We got to see some beautiful old homes and a couple of pretty parks. We were always crossing bridges and you really feel the connection to the water there.

Back at the hotel, we had our wine and chat and went to bed. What a lovely day.

P.S. there was indoor dining in PGH, limited to 25% capacity, but we did not choose to do so.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 2

Loving the Pittsburg trip Margaret! I love a good zoo. When DS was in his second year, around 18 months old, we were members of the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita...which is a wonderful zoo. We went 3-4 times a week. So nice if the landscaping is good and the animal habitats are happy.

I wouldn't be eating inside either. I've made exception at Waffle House but in general, I prefer to eat outside anyway and would always eat outside if given a choice. And would generally choose to eat at places because I like their outside dining areas LOL.

👍 Melody

Edited by Host Kat
Per author's request.