All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie - if you want to stand out from the tourist herd, look at the daypacks from Cotopaxi.  Being the bag hoarder that i am, I have multiple packs and bags from them.  

My latest aquisition was the Taal bag.  It is a convertible bag - use like a messenger/tote or a backpack.  It is 16L.  I wanted a bag that I would be able to put all my "in the plane" things and then use it for my everyday bag.  It ended up exactly what I wanted and it didn't look like just another pack.  

I also have:  Allpa 35 and 28L travel packs, Tasra 16L daypack, Batac 16L daypack, Luzon 18L pack Bataan hip pack and Mariveles 32 duffel.  The duffel went with me - it folds down flat to take up very little room in a suitcase.   I used it as my 'cabin bag' when I did my 2 Coasts trip last week so I could have a little more room in my roller bag (I checked because it's free for me) to put my cowboy booties plus I wanted to put my toiletries bag and stuff in there.  I was bringing back some stuff from the Mennonite store so I needed that room.  no judgement, please...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, you are the bag queen 😉

I usually say another word than queen, but it gets censored.  😉  

Some of the Cotopaxi bags have permanent functions for camping things.  One is my 'in case of emergency" bag that i keep in my car.  The Allpas are for when i need a carryon size bag, but don't need a roller bag.  

• Haha 1

Margaret, thanks for the picture.  I always want to wear the best thing for what I am doing, and I think that utility shorts are ideal for the ruins.  Your picture heled a lot, thank you.  With the walk, I need to double check the exact name, and then google it to get a better idea.  It seems more to be a bit of cross between a tour and a very easy hike, if that makes sense.

I got out the two pair of pants I have from Athleta.  I haven't had them on in a bit so I want to be sure they fit, but they both have the same general styling and fit.  They have zippered pockets in the front, and one has zippered back pockets, I think.  The other has a dyed to match tech type knit in the back, so no pockets.  They are both fitted, but not closely fitted, and are ankle length.  I might opt for one of those, once I try to find more info.

So I ordered a few pair of shorts from Eddie Bauer and from Macys.  Both were clearance specials.  all have pockets, but not with zippers.  one pair is a bit longer and has a cargo style pocket with a velcro flap.  I was mostly looking to replace where I was short in my wardrobe, in general.  I recall having a pair of shorts that looked great and that I loved, that I had for two full years and only wore once.  They had a side zipper and no pockets.  I didn't even wear them at home!

So I generally want front and back pockets.  When me and my daughter were cruising, it was a short trip and I had a few denim style shorts.  I love my stretchy ivory ones...light weight, great summer color, and they look nice on.  They don't have holes and all that.  Then I had two other similar styles, but they were much heavier and I did not like that for the heat. I also didn't like the overall fit either.  

I will take a picture of my new short purchases, but I also grab a skort in a quick drying fabric, and it has zippered pockets.  I might have a winner for the eco walk.  

I was just thinking how much I talk about jewelry and shoes being just right.   You guys really know your backpacks!  I am lost when it comes to those.  I confess that I feel like they make me all sweaty.  My husband doesn't mind wearing one, but he has enough going on with his knees and stuff.  I really need to get out what I have, and see if I need something else.  In the past, my husband has brought along a backpack for our longer cruises.  He puts a change of outfit in, along with his phone charger and some magazines, and puts it under his seat on the plane, like  do with smallish tote that I treat like a purse with all our travel docs and so forth.  (okay, Twizzlers.  I have to have a very big bag of Twizzlers for every trip!)

• Like 2

Y'all are SO FUNNY. So DS does have one more year before graduation. I am planning for next year, trying to figure out the logistics of two ideas…the first being practical…move all his stuff back. The second is more fun…like trying to take advantage of DS already being in London and thinking about using that as a spring board to some travel. The cruise would combine the efforts of both but I’m not sure that’s what we really want to do.

There is a company out there that specializes in international student shipping which means that we could just use that business for our shipping needs.

DS’s Visa is good through October 2023 I think…so he’ll have a few months following graduation, which will be mid-July 2023. He’s contemplating a gap year before graduate school…or at least a gap semester since his end of term is so late compared to US schools…it would be such a short break between undergraduate and graduate school. It would be nice to have a bit of a break between…and he has several business projects going on. If he can defer admission by a semester, his lease may also be up more around October and we might be able to do a different kind of travel in the late summer/early fall. So many options would open up… Applications are due in the fall, at least by December but I”m not sure if he would know by December or later. 

His plans are to do the full ride of schooling through a doctoral degree so he’s in it for the long haul, which is why the gap time would be welcome. He’s looking at some very specialized graduate programs in the Northeast. He is a self taught coder and he has been combining his composition skills and computing skills. He attended a special workshop in Berlin that was all about how the creative arts are using AI. From that he’s been working on a collaboration with an artist from FInland for an audio visual art installation among other projects he has going on. Back when he was in high school, we had a long talk about work and careers…he knew and wanted to do a bunch of all kinds of work to make a living and that has started for him. So in addition to his degree program work and the art installation collaboration, he has 3 other projects going on that are all about game design in addition to a paid internship that he got for the summer. One project is for Microsoft…he is on one of several teams I think that are a part of some program that Microsoft has going on for new game development. His team had a meeting with Microsoft last week that went really well and they are supposed to have a trailer for their game done by the end of the month. Who knows what kind of doors can open through that process. And he had rushed up to GA earlier this summer to attend a gaming convention to show a different game that he and his friends have made. He is working on many things…and his thoughts in the gap year were to have the time to continue to work on some of these other projects he has going on. Sorry if I’m boasting…I’m very proud of him.

Kat…all your bags are so funny. I need to look them up! I also have many bags, but not as many backpacks, though I have several. Some of mine are more for backpacking. I did get a smaller very lightweight backpack for our Glacier trip. We’re under 3 weeks away! Yikes!

Laurie…The most important thing is to be comfortable, I think, whatever you decide. The backpacks can be a little sweaty on the back, but I think you talked about how a crossbody bag can dig into your shoulder? Water can be heavy…I do prefer the sweaty backpack to the digging in crossbody bag. I have a few crossbody bags for various types of travel but they can be painful to carry when they are seriously packed and heavy.

• Like 1

Anita you have every reason to be proud of your son, sounds like he knows exactly what he wants to do & is well on the way to making it happen. 

I normally throw my backpack over one shoulder as I don’t like the sweaty feeling either. I use it more for excursions & beach days. My daughter borrowed mine when she had knee surgery this summer as my pack was so much lighter than her one shoulder Cavu (I think that’s the nam) bag. I’m not sure I’ll get my bag back!!  Melody

• Like 1

Melody - it's Kavu for that sling bag.  I had one to use after I had shoulder surgery years ago.  much more comfortable than doing the 1-shoulder backpack thing.

Anita - I like a clamshell carryon that isn't a roller for when I camp.  Easy to keep at the end of the tent and easy to open up and get what I want out of it.  that's where the Allpas come in.  the smaller one also makes a good cabin bag if I need to take a little more with me in the plane.  The shoulder straps are nicely padded.  The larger Allpa also had a good padded hip belt (removeable).   I like the company because 1)it's local, 2)uses remnant fabric they buy up from other companies, 3) pay fair wages to workers, 4)have a very good warranty.  As much as I do like other brands, I will always try to support a local company first.  

• Like 2

Kat...those Allpa bags are very fun. Took a look and I really like the "surprise" option to purchase. The function of the bags is somewhat similar to the Motherlode styles by eBags, which open like a clamshell for the main compartment, but don't have that side by side quality when you open them. More like two layers...the "lid" is like a layer that you can access without having to completely open the bag and then when you do the clamshell you can get at the main. Otherwise, the tuck away backpack straps and the handles and the eBags also have one long strap serve the same function of being a handy non rolling bag. I might like the Allpa bags better but for now I've got two of those Motherlodes...the regular and the junior. I bought them a while back when I decided that rolling bags can be a PITA while traveling through public transport and up and down areas with stairs and steps.

I don't do the one shoulder backpack thing...that was the "cool" way to wear a backpack back in my high school days and because of the weight of all those books etc., really messed up your back, shoulders, neck...so I commit to wearing both straps if I wear a backpack. If I can't stand the coverage on my back, I pick one of my cross body bags.

Laurie..I forgot to comment...Twizzlers?!? Our family is Red Vines all the way! DH gets really really excited if we ever come across those long rope ones that used to be sold separately? They were like, IDK, 2-3 feet long? He has perfected his selection technique and will literally squish all the Red Vine packages looking for the ones that have that perfect give to them and haven't hardened up too much already.

Much excitement here all around the launch that didn't happen yesterday. I haven't looked up to see if they are shooting for Friday or Monday for the next attempt. DH got a new job and actually works onsite at KSC. He could have gone on base to see the launch but he would have had to stay where his office is. They had the gates open from 3:30 to 6:30 am and then shut them down. He didn't want to deal with fighting the traffic and preferred to hang with DS and I. Friday's launch window is smack midday...Monday is evening so not sure what he'll do. He was able to just work from home yesterday. Traffic was a total jam but we know the neighborhoods and were able to get around quickly to grab breakfast and get home while the maps read red for hours following the scrub. I hope all the people who came to town planned to stay for the whole week. A family next to us had come down from Huntsville AL.

I can't believe that we are just over 2 weeks out from our Glacier trip. I really should amend my title for it because we aren't going to be in Glacier the entire time. We've rented a van conversion (old school Chevy cargo van style not a Sprinter) from Outdoorsy and are giving van life a try for a Week+. We arrive just after midnight so that's a bit awkward and still to be sorted but we have a reservation at a State Park on Flathead Lake for our first night. It's the last day of the season that the on site kayak rental place is open, so we've also secured two kayaks for that afternoon. The park is 5 miles from a local craft brewery so there's dinner that night and whatever else Friday night in cute downtown Kalispell has to offer. We've been there once before about 25 years ago so I'm excited to go back. At this point, my memories are more impressions and very isolated but they are all positive of the area.

Then we plan to have a relaxing lake side morning. Check out for the campsite isn't til 1 PM!! Some plans will be weather dependent but our thoughts are that we might drive the Going to the Sun Road Saturday, exceedingly leisurely, stopping whenever and often to do short hikes and see sites and hope to grab a camping spot on the East side of the park to make our drive to the trailhead for our backcountry camping shorter.

We have about a 9 mile hike into the lake side backcountry site we have for two nights. I'm slightly concerned that it will be a lot, BUT the elevation gain and loss is minimal really...it's not a strenuous hike except for the length...so we're giving ourselves all day to do it. Since we stay two nights, we plan to just enjoy the full middle day...sticking around the area where there are some little sites to see...but mainly relax and soak up being surrounded by the beauty. 

Again, we're giving ourselves all day to hike out too...with a plan to just get to a campsite on the east side again. DH enjoys fishing so I imagine him fishing in the evenings and the mornings wherever we are. We'll always be near a lake or river. I'll be playing photographer and may do some fishing also. Maybe I'll do some yoga?

You know, I found out the most interesting thing... I must admit that my body really knows how to cool off...that is, I know how to sweat. I've been doing yoga on and off all my life. Literally. I was 2 or 3 and watching Lilias on PBS with her long hair braided and her red outfit. Now here's the thing...she didn't use a yoga mat back in those days, she was just on regular carpet.  But somehow along the way, yoga mats became a thing. And that's when my yoga practice became more difficult because of my aforementioned sweaty hands/feet sliding away from me in opposite directions on the stupid yoga mat.

SO. Do you know WHY yoga mats became a thing? They were invented by a woman who had issues because she couldn't sweat. There are people like that in the world...I taught one in one of my Zumba classes. Anyway...because she didn't sweat, she couldn't get any traction on her hands and feet. You know...a little bit of water creates tension and grab...like window cling and having to lick your fingers to get a plastic produce bag open in the grocery store. So the STICKY mat, helped her have grab because she would just SLIDE along any other normal surface. But the sticky mat is made for DRY PEOPLE...not sweaty people...because I just SLIDE right along those supposedly STICKY mats! ANYWAY...

A while back I got a yoga RUG...and that's been my thing to use...but I've come to realize that somehow I've made a rule for myself that I need to have a rug or mat to do yoga. And I've also come to realize that that's the stupidest thinking... I really enjoy doing yoga...my body always feels better when I do...so I've been thinking that I might just do some yoga...some neck rolls...some simply stretching every time DH does some fishing. See if I can't renew my enthusiasm for yoga again...remembering and experiencing how good it feels to do...and not thinking of it as this thing that might be good for me but I struggle with motivation to do it because I've put it in a "work" category inside of this thing I actually like and enjoy doing category.

Wow...what a rant! LOL!! I'm just there...needing to plan how I'm going to age...recognizing that aging gracefully takes some effort but it doesn't have to be painful. It can be enjoyable.

My last main thing to plan is a guided fishing excursion on the Flathead River. Once that is set for after our backcountry camping, I can envision the rest of our trip. We have 3 full days after our hike out day and one of those will be the fishing day.

We definitely want to also see the Upper Fork Flathead River which is a National Scenic River. At this point in the season, it should be running pretty low, which makes it a great river for doing a more wading style fly fishing a la A River Runs Through It...which we can do on our own. 

It's going to be an active vacation but I'm hoping to strike a happy balance between being active and enjoying the great outdoors and relaxing. A certain level of physical excursion can help with the relaxing actually...and it can feel so good to use your body to do the things you love and be in places that feel like they are renewing spirit and soul, but we definitely don't want to feel like we need another vacation to recover from our vacation. That's the whole point of the van life experiment...there's good reviews on the bed in this van and that's the whole reason I wanted a van and not just to be camping in a tent for over a week while I celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary...kwim? That and the convenience of not having to set up a camp so we can more easily camp in several places. Or should I say park and sleep?

• Like 1

Anita - as the resident bag 'sl*t", I did have the Motherlode and Jr.  I donated them.   The Allpa has a side zipper that lets you slip into the one side without opening up the clamshell.  I haven't done the "surprise me" yet - I either buy at one of our two brick & mortar stores here down in the Valley or I select something from the bags shown.   yes, it doesn't come with a carry strap, but, if you have one laying around ( or buy one in the San Lorenzo market in Florence for 10EU), you can clip one on using 2 of the lash points.  This is what I did with the Marabeles duffle I packed.  I just now put it on the Allpa and did a few pics for you to visualize. This is the 35L one it just looks little. The strap I actually did buy in the market.  I'll just rotate it among bags as needed.  The big colorful staps were for sale all over the market and I saw them on just small purses all over France and Italy - a fashion trend, i guess.

I'm a bit jealous of your trip to Glacier NP.  I may miss any camping this year ☹️  Glacier NP is on my short list of road trips - maybe next year.  Be sure to have your bear bell with you!!!

ySLWL3zmQsKhBLIhW9UTqg.jpg

c3pkhBkmRHq7Vz8cegLt3w.jpg

xGbQc8dHTqGrLx2i0TE3Rg.jpg

• Like 1

Kat how funny!  I was going to tell Anita to be sure to pack a bear bell & whistle. We’ve had an abundance of bears this year, here in town can’t imagine how many grizzlies are in Glacier

• Like 1

Those Kavu bags are the style I was referring to.  I don't really need one of these big backpacks.  At the same time, they looked like they might be too small, so I need to take a better look.  I'm thinking sunscreen, water bottle, prescription sunglasses, battery pack for phone. 

Seeing some of your bags has me thinking, Kat.  I don't really bring anything when I travel that is soft sided.  If feels like everything moves around.  For flying and the like, I imagine packing cubes help to keep those organized?   I was even looking at some of that hard sided luggage recently.    

I don't need new luggage yet, but one airline told me that my carryon is now too big.  

Anita, I thought it was too soon for your son to be graduating, but I also thought he had like three years to go, lol.  He is doing so well, and seems to be doing what he loves.  Good for him, and kudos to you for raising him so well.

Bears...oh my.  A friend of mine has a camp in the Adirondacks, and she is seeing them everywhere.

I took pictures of the new shorts.  I will post them in a bit.  They will do the trick for the trip in general, as well as for the ruins.  I'm likely to wear one of my existing pants from Athleta for the eco walk.

If you want to google it, there are some videos.  A suspension bridge is involved, so my palms are already sweaty, lol.  I think the name is Mayan Eden Eco Park.

• Like 1

@laurspag I use packing cubes regardless of what bag i'm using.  i just like the extra organization I get with them.  mine are very lightweight and don't have any hard edges so they can adapt and get squished into whatever space they can fit.  inside the clamshell of the Allpa, one side has a mesh zippered covering to keep everything in place and the other size has 3 divided up sections, each with the similar mesh coverings.  So, things are not moving around any more than in my hard side.

• Like 1

Margaret, I thought of you when I saw the color.  It is lightweight and really comfy.  It has two zipper pockets too, so I could wear it on board and have a place for my sea pass card, or in port because it is nice and light.

• Like 2

Melody, I used my coupon also. 

I'm so - so on the green shorts, but they will work.  They have some knit near the waist area on the sides and back, and I think they might get a little sweaty.  They fit nice though, so I figured I'd give them a try.  Those are Macys clearance along with the Union Bay shorts.

I really like using packing cubes.  I don't use them for everything, but they are such a great, compact way to pack certain things.  Bathing suits, pajamas, socks, and underclothes are so convenient to pack that way.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, laurspag said:

I really like using packing cubes.  I don't use them for everything, but they are such a great, compact way to pack certain things.  Bathing suits, pajamas, socks, and underclothes are so convenient to pack that way.  

I love my packing cubes, and I finally got DH into them too. It makes it so easy to unpack and repack, and keeps our drawers neat and organized on board. I hate wasting cruise time hunting for things. 

• Like 2

Weee going to Cirque du Soleil this weekend with our daughter. They offered free tickets for disabled veterans & a family member for Sunday’s matinee. Both Les & Kristi qualified. We’ll go to dinner afterwards. Now to decide what to wear!!   Balloon Fest also this weekend. Busy times. Melody

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Weee going to Cirque du Soleil this weekend with our daughter. They offered free tickets for disabled veterans & a family member for Sunday’s matinee. Both Les & Kristi qualified. We’ll go to dinner afterwards. Now to decide what to wear!!   Balloon Fest also this weekend. Busy times. Melody

Tons of fun up there in CS!!  We have our traditional Miners Day parade down Main St.  Homemade floats from businesses and neighborhoods, a couple of marching bands, political people in convertibles, horse riders, camel riders, street lugers, local sports teams.   just a nice old fashioned deal.  

On the packing cubes - I also use one for my rolled Tshirts.  I'm a little weird in that I have to be somewhere for more than a week before i'll unpack - i just grab things out of my bag.  But, when I do unpack, I just take the cubes out and put them as-is into a drawer.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Kat, on the use of drawers, you aren’t weird, I don’t use the drawers. I do use packing cubes and just find it easier to keep them in my case. I do hang up some things, however. 

I didn't unpack or use drawers when i was over in Europe for the month. The week on the barge didn't have enough space for both of us to unpack anyway, and I was 3-5 nights everywhere else.  i can repack and be ready to go inside of 5 minutes.  Even when I went back to PA for the wedding week, i only unpacked my dress because i knew i had to press it.  otherwise, kept in my bag.

• Like 1

When I am onboard a cruise, the things that I use packing cubes for are mostly left in the cube for me too.  That would be underclothes for my husband and I, pajamas,, swimsuits and socks.  my husband wears sneakers during the day, and dress shoes at night, so we literally bring two pairs of socks for each day plus some extra....and he tends to wear every last pair.  They are so easy to pack when you roll them up and put them in a cube.  I just unzip the cube, and pop them on the drawer!

I debate a lot on using packing cubes for daytime outfits.  I tried once, but I'm not an expert on rolling so I had mixed results.  This was just for tops - shorts with zippers I leave alone.

Speaking of daytime outfits, I just worked on those a little bit.  I try hard to wear things that are comfy and mix and match.  I always bring one extra outfit, and then a pair of cropped jeans and a shirt with sleeves in case I need them in the evening.  The funny thing is that I brought two pair when my husband and I traveled last fall, as I was iffy on the temps.  I ended up wearing them both quite a bit.

In May when I cruised with my daughter, we ended up spending the night at the airport, so I appreciated having the long sleeved linen shirt with me.  I had to add a zip up hoodie I had with me and we purchased fleece blankets at the airport....it was THAT COLD.  

Anyway, I try to make sure I have what I need without being too excessive.   The outfits are subject to change, and I haven't accessorized yet.  I keep that simple too, but I love a pair of earrings or necklace here and there, and figuring out which sandals to take along.

I'm also currently wearing a pair of shorts so one of the pairs in the coming pictures might be changed.  This is a summary picture, with everything.

20220905_124813_resized.thumb.jpg.efc27c8f949d01d592766cf4cb7b50fd.jpg

For both the ruins and the eco walk, I was thinking a lot about function.  I am thinking sneakers are the best choice, although I do have walking sandals that I always have with me, and use a lot.  The eco walk will be the pants and top, and the ruins with be the skort.  I don't really love light colored tops, but I think they are both good choices for what I am doing.  It is nice that three of the four things I've had a while, especially the shirts.  I love the one shirt - it has these little speckles and there is blue as well as a rust like color.  The shirt is Merona from Target.  The other, with the pockets, is a lightweight, quick drying knit from New York and Company that I have had for ages.  The pants are Athleta from a few years ago and the skort is a new purchase from Eddie Bauer.  I have earrings that I think are perfect for the skort outfit, but do I really need them when visiting the ruins?  

20220905_123456_resized.thumb.jpg.8d6dd64effaa5bc176d016e3bfe2343d.jpg20220905_123509_resized.thumb.jpg.40afda29a126e888aadfc39502788415.jpg

The rest of the photos cover the rest of the cruise.  I don't have anything designated for a specific day, but I have some ideas, which I may add.

Our trusty Dressbarn shirt!  I swear, it goes on every cruise.  If the shorts look familiar, it is because I recently purchased the tan ones that are the same from Macy's clearance sale.

20220905_123724_resized.thumb.jpg.bf7f4bbf3516e19492e90abbfe7d768d.jpg

The shirt on this is really soft and nice.  I may swap it out for a different tank, as I am bringing a few tops that require a racerback bra, and I only have two racerback bras right now.  There is another one on order, so we will see.  Note: racerback for me is something I can convert - I seldom find a racerback only bra that I can wear.

20220905_123810_resized.thumb.jpg.1a20dcb91bd2abe7e4c27278364c492c.jpg

I love this cold shoulder top.  It seems like a good choice for a sea day, since we often do trivia, towel folding or whatever, and the air conditioning is always on.  I can also wear it in the evening with ivory cropped jeans too.  The shorts have a cargo pocket so I have a place to put my sea pass card.

20220905_123939_resized.thumb.jpg.f34ec38a864a31d21fa3f085b5ecf8cc.jpg

I wore this shirt when we flew down to Miami in May.  I wore it with cropped ivory jeans that day, but here I have it paired with shorts.  If I ever see any chocolate brown shorts, I'm jumping at them because I'm always wanting those and can never find them.  Every time I see this shirt, I want to wear it with brown shorts.

20220905_124051_resized.thumb.jpg.3998a2f66e03974383b4dd51e16b553c.jpg

This outfit here is very comfy.  I think the short might feel a bit heavy.  I have a pair in the wash right now that are a rust color, and they have the same pull on styling but are a lighter weight linen blend, so there may a swap.  They looked very bright in the first picture, so I posted a second picture which is much truer looking.

20220905_124218_resized.thumb.jpg.c2798477db4ac05483167c405d814f01.jpg20220905_124243_resized.thumb.jpg.ee00d3e585a4a2097ee58342b487c90c.jpg

Lastly, this outfit here consists of a pretty basic active top.  I can wear it to the gym or with a pair of shorts...it pairs well with a lot of things.  It's a clearance purchase I got with my Eddie Bauer shorts and I've worn it once already.  These shorts may be swapped for the Union Bay shorts I posted last week that I have on right now.  I would honestly need to try on the shorts in the picture.

20220905_124342_resized.thumb.jpg.4a879b8c7185ac6ac6f75fb81aba1260.jpg

Pooh Bear was happy to make an appearance in some of the photos.  🙂  🙂

Edited by laurspag
typos
  • Like 1