Passports, Honestly who cruises without them ?

Jenk0677

That's what I thought as well. I think it's dangerous to post here that a copy is ok. People will think a photocopy is a copy. That's what I would think and what I assumed from the post I quoted. I don't have my original BC, but an official one with the raised seal. I don't consider it a copy. Or perhaps the post should have said copy "with raised seal".

That's what I thought as well. I think it's dangerous to post here that a copy is ok. People will think a photocopy is a copy. That's what I would think and what I assumed from the post I quoted. I don't have my original BC, but an official one with the raised seal. I don't consider it a copy. Or perhaps the post should have said copy "with raised seal".

Actually Carnival's FAQ's states this when looking under Birth Certificate documentation:

"A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified. "

I also believe I read before where Sparks tried it with a photo copy with no problem. There have also been multiple documented cases where people were able to board with copies that were Faxed to the cruise line. Also to note, some states do not use raised seals in certifying birth certificates.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but:

When were traveling for military and when you drove to Mexico/Canada with just your DL/military ID, was this before or after the current requirements for more than that were implemented? Makes a big difference. What used to be can't be used to justify what is now.

When I was in my 20s, we'd drive to Tijuana for the day - only used my DL. Makes no matter that I did that back in the day; the rules have changed.

Yes, that was back in the day when it wasn't required and I wasn't trying to say that the rules haven't changed, just saying that I have traveled extensively without a passport so I am not as enamored with them as a document. I wasn't going to get a passport until I needed it for international air travel since, to me, it didn't make sense to since there were alternatives available for the type of travel I could do.

If you want to get technical no one has an original of their birth certificate, that stays on file with the state. What people get is a document certifying the birth record that is on file and when DHS says "original" that is what they mean. And yes, a "copy" is a photocopy of that document (one that issued by a government entity). As Warm Breezes said I presented a photocopy of my birth certificate when I boarded the CCL Pride because there was a lot of argument about the meaning of "photocopy" and no one looked at it twice. Anyway here's a link to the regulations themselves:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2008/04/03/E8-6725/documents-required-for-travelers-departing-from-or-arriving-in-the-united-states-at-sea-and-land#h-111

And here's the language "When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate...".

It is important to keep in mind that cruise lines may have stricter requirements than the regulations so it is important to verify that (some permium lines even require passports for all sailings).

So what I am getting from this thread is that I don't necessarily need my passport? I plan on bringing on board (NCL Escape from Miami - St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau), but was trying to plan how to keep it dry when I was snorkeling and scuba-ing - would I be ok with just my drivers' license on these ship arranged excursions?

Anyway, I always wondered why passports don't have addresses. I know one can move in the ten years it's valid, but same with DL too. They are good for a long time too and people move.

In every state I have lived in, if you move within state you are required to get either a new license or the DMV provides new address documentation to go with your existing driver's license (some states give you a choice). Florida gives you 10 days, Virginia 30, Massachusetts 30, etc. to report your new address.

So what I am getting from this thread is that I don't necessarily need my passport? I plan on bringing on board (NCL Escape from Miami - St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau), but was trying to plan how to keep it dry when I was snorkeling and scuba-ing - would I be ok with just my drivers' license on these ship arranged excursions?

Keep you passport in the safe in your cabin. I'm sure there will be a reminder the night before arrival in each port to bring ID with you on your excursions. A Driver's License has always been fine for ID in every Caribbean island we have visited (and that is almost all of them).

This is another one of those personal preference things- many people will keep their passport in the cabin safe reasoning that it is safer there from loss or theft and that if they were to miss the ship for some reason the ship's crew will retrieve it from the safe and turn it over to the line's port agent. Of course if you are on a ship sponsored excursion they will generally wait for you if you happen to be running late, so many would say you are even safer leaving your passport aboard. (Some excursions will leave one island and go to another and for those they do say you need to bring your passport so make sure you aren't on one of those).

To reboard a ship in the ports you name, all you need is your Ship's ID and your DL. You do not have to bring your passport ashore with you. Many of us have color copies of the information page of our passport and we laminate that. (Reminds me I need to make a new laminated copy of my newly renewed passport. :) )

Actually not even military can travel on their ID and orders. You get a govt issued passport for all official travel and when stationed overseas are basically told a tourist passport is required. One or two sets of friends didn't have one and basically had no opportunities to go anywhere. But we traveled from Japan to Hong Kong, Australia and other nearby locales.

I referenced I was thinking back to the days of Viet Nam when most of the soldiers and sailors etc did not have passports. My DH did not until some few years later but they sure let him 'in country' and thankfully brought him back home to me.

That is what they told me, in a very rude way. That if I was doing something illegal with the PO box (um first of all, F you for assuming that's what I am going to do...), that they "can stop my car, but can't stop my passport". Not really knowing what authority they have to stop my car, I dunno. I also overhear at this same office where a guy wanted to use his CCW as a second ID and they said no. :rolleyes: And asked if he was law enforcement. Not that that matters, and you don't have to be in law enforcement to have one.

Anyway, I always wondered why passports don't have addresses. I know one can move in the ten years it's valid, but same with DL too. They are good for a long time too and people move.

What is CCW?

There is a page on my passport (a US-issued one, expiring next year) called the Personal Data and Contact Information page (or something close to that). On the page itself, you are instructed use pencil to write it in - you erase and re-do if you move or if your ICE info changes.

The lack of a permanent address on the document is one reason I use my passport or my Global Entry card for ID when I travel. The less PII I have to give out, the better! I actually use my GE card in everyday life for my ID. When some one comes to my hotel and presents their GE card, we give a knowing smile to each other that we protect our PII...

I recently read an article that said that 10 million people traveled on cruises in the preceeding year (I think the article was written in 2015). If you calculate that a majority of those passengers probably embarked here in the US that would give us 6 million pax. I have read various numbers about how many on a closed loop cruise used something other than a passport, anywhere between 40% and 60% or higher. So if we take the middle ground that's roughly 3 million people that travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport and without experiencing any problem.

OP, yes, people travel without passports all of the time, I've done it several times myself (in fact I've traveled all over the world and didn't need a passport until our trip to Germany just last year). You will face some delay in returning if you have to fly back, but you are the best judge to know how realisitic that possibility is for you.

Traveled "all over the world" without a Passport? Unless you are on active duty in the Military we are wondering how you could do this. You cannot even board a flight to Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Mexico, Canada, etc. without a valid Passport. And other then a closed loop cruise to participating islands/countries (which are very limited) you would need a Passport. We have been to more than 100 countries, and with the exception of a few short cruises (mostly to the Caribbean) we always needed a Passport. We cannot even drive over to Canada without a Passport. Last week friends of ours were flying from Chicago to Puerto Vallarta and forgot their Passports. When they tried to check-in at O'Hare they were quickly denied boarding. (they had to go back home, get their passports and take a flight the following day).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Traveled "all over the world" without a Passport? Unless you are on active duty in the Military we are wondering how you could do this. You cannot even board a flight to Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Mexico, Canada, etc. without a valid Passport. And other then a closed loop cruise to participating islands/countries (which are very limited) you would need a Passport. We have been to more than 100 countries, and with the exception of a few short cruises (mostly to the Caribbean) we always needed a Passport. We cannot even drive over to Canada without a Passport. Last week friends of ours were flying from Chicago to Puerto Vallarta and forgot their Passports. When they tried to check-in at O'Hare they were quickly denied boarding. (they had to go back home, get their passports and take a flight the following day).

Hank

If you had continued reading the thread you would have read that I was in the military:). Need a passport to go to Canada? Well, no, not really. DW and I just spent the weekend in Montreal and our passports stayed in the safe deposit box. Our EDLs worked just fine getting us there and back. I mentioned traveling without a passport only to demonstrate why I decided to wait to get one- I've never needed one and didn't really see the sense of getting one until we could fly internationally. That was our personal decision and I recognize that what worked for us won't work for everyone. The fact is that each traveler has different needs for travel documentation. For many a passport is the way to go, but for many another form of documentation works for their needs.

If you had continued reading the thread you would have read that I was in the military:). Need a passport to go to Canada? Well, no, not really. DW and I just spent the weekend in Montreal and our passports stayed in the safe deposit box. Our EDLs worked just fine getting us there and back. I mentioned traveling without a passport only to demonstrate why I decided to wait to get one- I've never needed one and didn't really see the sense of getting one until we could fly internationally. That was our personal decision and I recognize that what worked for us won't work for everyone. The fact is that each traveler has different needs for travel documentation. For many a passport is the way to go, but for many another form of documentation works for their needs.

I do apologize, but you are being misleading again, I believe. Unless you are a resident of one of the very few states that will issue EDLs for an additional fee, you cannot go into Canada with just a DL - you need that passport or passport card. If I try to drive through to Vancouver with my DL, I will be stopped at the border and turned back around. You "traveled the world without a passport" when you were in the military in a previous time when military personnel were permitted to travel with only the military ID and orders. Try that now a days and you will be sitting in the departure lounge waving goodbye to your comrades.

Each person's situation is indeed different, but unless you fully describe your situations, it may be taken by someone from Iowa that they can travel without a passport and visit Canada with just their DL.

I do apologize, but you are being misleading again, I believe. Unless you are a resident of one of the very few states that will issue EDLs for an additional fee, you cannot go into Canada with just a DL - you need that passport or passport card. If I try to drive through to Vancouver with my DL, I will be stopped at the border and turned back around. You "traveled the world without a passport" when you were in the military in a previous time when military personnel were permitted to travel with only the military ID and orders. Try that now a days and you will be sitting in the departure lounge waving goodbye to your comrades.

Each person's situation is indeed different, but unless you fully describe your situations, it may be taken by someone from Iowa that they can travel without a passport and visit Canada with just their DL.

The military is still allowed to travel with their ID card and orders, that is in the current DHS regulations as one of the exceptions (I believe there are 9 or 10 exceptions to the passport rule). That I crossed the border with an EDL was used to demonstrate that one needn't have a passport as stated by a previous poster. And my traveling the world comment was used to demonstrate why I feel the way I do about not having a passport, similar to the way folks have said "I've had a passport since I was three and I've never let it lapse". If someone reads one of my posts and decides based on that alone that they are good to go they've not done their due diligence.

Sparks wasn't misleading he said he traveled to Canada with his EDL instead of a passport. What part of that is misleading? He didn't say he traveled to Canada with his DL.

Actually Sparks is very misleading when he talks about traveling with Military ID (I too was in the military). Military on active duty can travel on a military ID card ONLY if they have active official orders. So for example, if I was stationed in Japan (and I was) I could travel from the USA to Japan because my orders specified my assignment to a base in Japan. But if I decided to take 30 days leave and fly from Japan to China, Europe, etc. I would need a Passport. And military ID is worthless on cruises. Even a closed loop cruise would require a Passport or Birth Certificate in addition to a Military ID Card (which is accepted as government issued picture ID).

Hank

Sparks wasn't misleading he said he traveled to Canada with his EDL instead of a passport. What part of that is misleading? He didn't say he traveled to Canada with his DL.

Not many states issue EDL and it is worthy to note that there are a handful of states who issue a DL that TSA will stop accepting as ID for any flights, foreign or domestic. There seems to be a reprieve on the date that goes into effect but if you live in a state where their license does not meet TSA standards, you may wish to prepare for trying to fly in the future.... even within U.S. Avoid the rush and get a Passport. :)

Actually Sparks is very misleading when he talks about traveling with Military ID (I too was in the military). Military on active duty can travel on a military ID card ONLY if they have active official orders. So for example, if I was stationed in Japan (and I was) I could travel from the USA to Japan because my orders specified my assignment to a base in Japan. But if I decided to take 30 days leave and fly from Japan to China, Europe, etc. I would need a Passport. And military ID is worthless on cruises. Even a closed loop cruise would require a Passport or Birth Certificate in addition to a Military ID Card (which is accepted as government issued picture ID).

Hank

DH flew internationally on Active Orders with no passport going to Viet Nam. Of course, that was some years ago. :)

DH flew internationally on Active Orders with no passport going to Viet Nam. Of course, that was some years ago. :)

And we thank him for his service. We were also in Vietnam (DaNang) and flew on Military Orders. And like your DH, it was some time ago (early 70s). Must admit that Vietnam is more interesting these days :). Have been back twice and would love to return again....except for the long flights.

Hank

Hank

I don't see how it was misleading because I did it and the regulations are in force so it may happen today. I was in the Navy so I kind of went wherever my duty station did (at least when I was onboard ship). Since there was always plenty to see and do in the ports we visited I didn't have a need for a passport to take me anyplace else. And again I will say that I mentioned that little tidbit to show why I feel the way that I do about passports. I used to travel into Canada with a regular drivers license so I see no need to get a passport for the same trip when other alternatives are available to me (although I certainly could obtain one for that very purpose if I chose to).