Al fresco dining

janecambridge

The Terrace Cafe, on the back of the ship, can be a beautiful spot to dine. The main drawback is that it's a self service venue, but this doesn't mean that the food isn't good. We chose to dine al fresco in Istanbul two years ago and the view was magnificent. Last year, in SE Asia we sometimes couldn't believe the views we had from tables right on the rail - amazing settings

It's also a venue that has a more relaxed dress code so if you are into casual dining it will be ideal. You can also be in and out much more quickly than you can in the main dining room, and if you're late back on board from touring it's ideal.

On those glorious evenings with either a late departure, overnight, or a beautiful sail away to outside tables in the Terrace are a wonderful choice. However, they are also very popular, with a good percent of fellow cruisers opting to Bogart the tables. That is, they come in at opening and stay, having after dinner drinks, enjoying the company of their fellow cruisers, and taking in the view, which means table turnover can often be near zippo on some of those glorious evenings. With Terrace being a buffet, people normally come in, eat, then leave. Not necessarily so with those tables on those evenings. Best of Luck! ;)

The view can depend! When we were in an OS (last minute upsell from a PH) on Regatta in 2005 in Mallorca we had a wonderful view of the town. In Malta we had a view of cargo ships ...

Our views from a PH (where we usually are) have been equally as variable!

But it does come down to the terrace at Terrace, or your own balcony. But you don't have to book the table weeks in advance! And you don't have to worry about the time of your reservation ...

Hope it works out for you.

Mura

I do agree with Bitbob. If you are in a top suite the area is sufficient, even more than sufficient for dining on the terrace if you are in an OS, VS or OC (assuming you are on Marina or Regatta). If on an "R" ship only the OS or VS. In all ships (my opinion) the terrace is too small if you are in a PH or lower.

Mura

If you have a PH or top suite your bulter can serve you on your balcony

Just a regular balcony ...just order room service

We were in a PH but would not want to have dinner on the balcony. The terrace is very nice if the weather is good. Food from the grill or buffet is wonderful and you will have a great dinner.

The Terrace Cafe, on the back of the ship, can be a beautiful spot to dine. The main drawback is that it's a self service venue, but this doesn't mean that the food isn't good. We chose to dine al fresco in Istanbul two years ago and the view was magnificent. Last year, in SE Asia we sometimes couldn't believe the views we had from tables right on the rail - amazing settings

It's also a venue that has a more relaxed dress code so if you are into casual dining it will be ideal. You can also be in and out much more quickly than you can in the main dining room, and if you're late back on board from touring it's ideal.

Let's clarify "self service." Though passengers go up to displayed items or to order cooked-to-order dishes, Terrace Café food is served by staff. There's no touching by passengers. In addition, additional servers are readily available to transport your dishes to your table. Very civilized, hygienic and delicious.

Evenings on the Terrace it will be then...but sshhhhhhh don't tell too many,we will want a seat!!:D

It's super easy - just show up as soon as they open and then drop a bunch of personal belongings on the chairs at the table you want essentially "reserving it" and then come back when you want to eat. Simple as that.

(I'm kidding of course - I couldn't help myself). :D

Depends on the balcony

99% of the balcony's are the same size so it did not matter which one it was. We thought it was nicer to eat in the Terrace. Only problem was at the back it is a little dark. Still very nice in the warm weather. :):):)

Let's clarify "self service." Though passengers go up to displayed items or to order cooked-to-order dishes, Terrace Café food is served by staff. There's no touching by passengers. In addition, additional servers are readily available to transport your dishes to your table. Very civilized, hygienic and delicious.

But not quite the same as waiter service.

No, it isn't, but it isn't exactly standard buffet service either ... especially if you go to the grill section and have something made to order. There are so many choices that we find it hard to go wrong.

As to waiters carrying your plate to your chair, sometimes that works for me and sometimes not. And I'm no longer one of the younger passengers! Still, I don't mind carrying my own plate to my table.

Mura

No, it isn't, but it isn't exactly standard buffet service either ... especially if you go to the grill section and have something made to order. There are so many choices that we find it hard to go wrong.

As to waiters carrying your plate to your chair, sometimes that works for me and sometimes not. And I'm no longer one of the younger passengers! Still, I don't mind carrying my own plate to my table.

Mura

Works for us sometimes. A good choice after all the other restaurants. Need to be less formal sometimes.

We have met passengers on various ships who refuse to dine in the GDR, so it's either a specialty restaurant or Terrace. (Unless they are in a suite where they can have dinner from one of the restaurants delivered there.)

As for us, we like Terrace very much and will dine there at least several times on a cruise. We also like the GDR, but aren't so wild about the specialties unless it is Jacques.

Some people seem to think that Terrace is a step down. We don't think so at all. But it IS more casual, and it's a great option if you are tired after a day of touring.

Mura

We have met passengers on various ships who refuse to dine in the GDR, so it's either a specialty restaurant or Terrace. (Unless they are in a suite where they can have dinner from one of the restaurants delivered there.)

As for us, we like Terrace very much and will dine there at least several times on a cruise. We also like the GDR, but aren't so wild about the specialties unless it is Jacques.

Some people seem to think that Terrace is a step down. We don't think so at all. But it IS more casual, and it's a great option if you are tired after a day of touring.

Mura

We love the specialties very much, all of them but also like the terrace as it is very casual and sometimes we need a break from the much formal resturants. The GDR is not well liked by us at all.

RJB, we have discussed the pros vs. cons regarding the GDR with passengers on board as well as here at CC. And obviously we all have a right to our opinions. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change his or her mind!

We like the GBR -- have ever since Renaissance days -- because we like the variety of choice and changing menus. ALSO because we've generally had excellent meals, although I won't claim that we never had a lemon there. But we've had lemons in the other restaurants as well.

(One benefit of Terrace is that if you get a lemon, you can always get something else. Of course, that is true in any of the restaurants. If you don't like what you received, you ask the waiter to bring you something else!)

Cruise well ...

Mura

Mura we also prefer the GDR

I am paying big $$ to be served ..not hop up & down to get my own food

I also avoid those restaurants that seem to be the in thing where you & cook your own food for an extortionate sum to do so :D

Personal choice

Edited by LHT28

This discussion is taking an interesting turn, for some of you may recall I have a real interest in the use of words. The phrase "hop up & down to get my own food" sums up what I meant by self service. For me the terms self service and buffet are not synonymous. In the UK, from whence the OP and I both hail, when I think of self service I think of going to a counter and collecting my food. At a buffet I would go to a large table and select my own food. I'm sorry if I'm confusing everyone.

I think maybe I should have used the phrase "cafeteria style" but I'd hesitate to describe any venue on O as a cafe :D! However, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is it not the case that O describes the venue as "The Terrace Cafe"? In which case they are describing it most accurately. :).

I'd love an outdoor full service venue.