What Royal Caribbean did to a dying cancer patient...

loislanee

On any given week there are probably a number of passengers that get turned away from their cruise because of improper Identification.

Everyone of those people also have a background story that deserves special attention.

Nobody's story is more important than the others.

Why should he get a refund instead of all the others just because they stick him on the news?

Exactly! Imagine what would happen if all the people who have been turned around at the pier over the years for lack of documentation found out this guy was reimbursed. All kinds of stories would come out of the woodwork, like living paycheck to paycheck, dying, sick, ruined honeymoon, etc. The precedence would probably result in lawsuits. Despite this man's unfortunate condition, the fact still remains he was turned around and lost his cruise fare due to the fact he failed to carry proper documentation. His condition actually has nothing to do with what happened. It's just being used to sensationalize and to try to bring public disdain against a company who is actually sticking to their well published policies. Yet another case of selfish people not taking responsibility for their own actions.

I love seeing stuff like this on forums. A member posts something controversial and then pulls a cowardly disappearing act.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree. They seemed to disappear. But, they did post a link so the story appears legit.

Imagine if RCCL reacted differently and a poster appeared with a post saying RCCL is the greatest and posted a link to one of those happy tv stories that are often at the end of a newscast- suppose they bent over backwards and gave the guy not only his money back, but paid all expenses for a trip of a lifetime that he COULD take (apparently DR wouldnt approve cruise now)?

Imagine how much good will & PR that the 8 billion dollar plus RCCL would have gotten out of that.....

I work for a big company too. Often mid managers dont know when to pick their battles and PR wounds are often self inflicted.

What is the cruise line's financial responsibility when it comes to weather? They have little to none because it's a act of God. My guess would be return of all port fees and the prorated cost of the days the cruise was cut short. Way didn't RCL take a hard stance on this? What did the poor passengers of the Anthem get? all their money back, 50% off their next cruise, the cost of changing their airline tickets, free internet, free mini bar, and others. I'm not saying they didn't deserve it.

I would like to say they were compassionate but it's really them trying to buy off the passengers from suing. How many millions of dollars has this cost so far? In a civil suit you only have to prove that maybe the line made a mistake by sending the ship out. Add in the ambulance chasers fee and you're looking at millions more.

There are several charities out there that help make terminally ill people's dream come true, why couldn't RCL be one of them? The total refund would have given him a plan b. It's less than $2,000 for god's sake.

I know there is a huge difference between the terminally ill man and the Anthem situation but it boils down to have you got it in your heart to make an exception or is it all about the all mighty dollar.

What is the cruise line's financial responsibility when it comes to weather? They have little to none because it's a act of God. My guess would be return of all port fees and the prorated cost of the days the cruise was cut short. Way didn't RCL take a hard stance on this? What did the poor passengers of the Anthem get? all their money back, 50% off their next cruise, the cost of changing their airline tickets, free internet, free mini bar, and others. I'm not saying they didn't deserve it.

I would like to say they were compassionate but it's really them trying to buy off the passengers from suing. How many millions of dollars has this cost so far? In a civil suit you only have to prove that maybe the line made a mistake by sending the ship out. Add in the ambulance chasers fee and you're looking at millions more.

There are several charities out there that help make terminally ill people's dream come true, why couldn't RCL be one of them? The total refund would have given him a plan b. It's less than $2,000 for god's sake.

I know there is a huge difference between the terminally ill man and the Anthem situation but it boils down to have you got it in your heart to make an exception or is it all about the all mighty dollar.

The problem with providing a refund is that then others that show up without proper documentation and are denied boarding might think they are entitled to a full refund, perhaps even making up stories for sympathy.

I have to ask again why is RCI the one to blame here and having to step up?

The cruiser showed up without proper documentation and was rightfully denied Boarding.

From here on it´s between the man and his insurance Company - definitely not with the cruiseline.

The problem with providing a refund is that then others that show up without proper documentation and are denied boarding might think they are entitled to a full refund, perhaps even making up stories for sympathy.

You are the 2nd person to suggest that everyone will start doing it (making up stories).

I don't believe that.

Also, they are making exceptions to policies EVERYDAY with people over all sorts of things....its what businesses do to keep customers satisfied.

In this specific case- we KNOW the man is legitimately dying of brain/lung cancer. A very curious case to draw a line in the sand suddenly.

But, hey- it can work to RCCL advantage in future- 1st words out of mouth to disgruntled customers is- "hey we dont even accomodate dying customers, so why should we help you......:rolleyes:

The OP should definitely have advised the OP not only about proper Documentation to bring, but also to have proper trip insurance, including pre-existing conditions.

Yes, this!! In addition to what others have said someone with terminal cancer should have had good trip insurance including pre-existing conditions. I would say cancel for any reason insurance would be preferred for this circumstance.

I actually think anyone traveling with a serious illness should be traveling with a passport not just a BC. The odds of needing to interrupt the trip for medical reasons is much greater under the circumstances which could mean the need to fly back to the US from a foreign country.

Unfortunately this man's well intentioned friends failed to help make sure all of the appropriate documentation was in place so he could enjoy this trip.

Imagine how much good will & PR that the 8 billion dollar plus RCCL would have gotten out of that.....

Probably next to none. If you read the thread about the Anthem 6 sailing, virtual;ly everyone that had something positive to say about how RCI handled their situation was ignored by the news - only the people with something negative to say made the news. There are exceptions, like the Flowrider girl story, but most of the time, good deeds don't make the news - mostly the negative ones do.

Probably next to none. If you read the thread about the Anthem 6 sailing, virtual;ly everyone that had something positive to say about how RCI handled their situation was ignored by the news - only the people with something negative to say made the news. There are exceptions, like the Flowrider girl story, but most of the time, good deeds don't make the news - mostly the negative ones do.

Exactly.

Any refund would have gone back to the original payer, not the terminally gentleman. Was he actually going to travel alone? I can't imagine the entire scenario, dying of brain cancer which means you can't travel alone without great risk and traveling in complete ignorance of what's required of you. If he had a companion, how could they have never discussed boarding requirements?

Any refund would have gone back to the original payer, not the terminally gentleman. Was he actually going to travel alone? I can't imagine the entire scenario, dying of brain cancer which means you can't travel alone without great risk and traveling in complete ignorance of what's required of you. If he had a companion, how could they have never discussed boarding requirements?

According to the video the people who raised the money would give a refund to him after they got it, so he could do something enjoyable in his last days.

I don't have the answer on whether he was traveling alone or with someone. I am not a doctor so I don't comment on the risks of him traveling solo.

Nobody is arguing where the blame is, just what could have been done for the poor guy.

If they gave him a refund, where does it end? Other terminal diseases? what's considered terminal? What would your prognosis have to be? 6 months? a year? And who decides that? What if you're just very elderly? Does that count?

Once you make an exception, it can easily snowball.

Besides in his situation I'm sure missing the cruise is much worse than losing the money. Without being too cold, I will say that money means alot less at the end of one's life than experiences. The only way they could really make it right would be to let him go in a couple of weeks if they have any unsold cabins.

Though my heart breaks for your friend, and though I think it's wonderful you guys bought him a cruise, I see no reason why Royal Caribbean would be responsible. Since he wasn't well-traveled, you guys who booked it should have told him to get a passport right away. That's the first thing I always tell my friends and family when they book their first cruise.

You are the 2nd person to suggest that everyone will start doing it (making up stories).

I don't believe that.

Also, they are making exceptions to policies EVERYDAY with people over all sorts of things....its what businesses do to keep customers satisfied.

In this specific case- we KNOW the man is legitimately dying of brain/lung cancer. A very curious case to draw a line in the sand suddenly.

But, hey- it can work to RCCL advantage in future- 1st words out of mouth to disgruntled customers is- "hey we dont even accomodate dying customers, so why should we help you......:rolleyes:

Nope. I never suggested that everyone will start making up stories. Go back and read my post again.

On any given week there are probably a number of passengers that get turned away from their cruise because of improper Identification.

Everyone of those people also have a background story that deserves special attention.

Nobody's story is more important than the others.

Why should he get a refund instead of all the others just because they stick him on the news?

100% agree with this.

Do you normally go right to name calling when someone disagrees with you?...
Actually being a blustering bully is pretty much the MO of that poster. On a recent thread he called posts "asinine" for suggesting that full service was not included the cruise contract, and said that for the cruise line "to hold back these services would be a breach of contract". Yet when presented with a copy of the contract and asked to show where it promised those services he suddenly was heard from no more...

Actually being a blustering bully is pretty much the MO of that poster. On a recent thread he called posts "asinine" for suggesting that full service was not included the cruise contract, and said that for the cruise line "to hold back these services would be a breach of contract". Yet when presented with a copy of the contract and asked to show where it promised those services he suddenly was heard from no more...

Some times when geezers get older they get grumpier. It happens.;) :)

I did not read all these post so sorry if this is a repeat but my question is if he is that sick why wouldn't the people that booked for him pay for insurance because at anytime his health could have went down and caused him not to be able to sail. If they did get him insurance with his Drs note wouldn't he be able to get a full refund that way?

Don't you people and Royal Caribbean have any compassion in your heart? Granted without the proper documentation they could not let him board the ship. It's a multibillion dollar company, to refund the gentleman's fare, due to the circumstances, would have been the right thing to do. I bet they piss away more than that on every ship, every day. Offering a future cruise credit to a dying man is a slap in the face.

why? its his own fault and if they bent over backwards for every sob story out there they and every other cruise line would be out of business on a month.

newsflash: beings sick is not an excuse to be granted special treatment or to have policy ignored. no sympathy for the situation whatsoever especially since a supposed prior cruiser who SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER didn't give the 'non well traveled' individual the correct information.

Nope. I never suggested that everyone will start making up stories. Go back and read my post again.

Ehh, I think you did. :confused:

why? its his own fault and if they bent over backwards for every sob story out there they and every other cruise line would be out of business on a month.

newsflash: beings sick is not an excuse to be granted special treatment or to have policy ignored. no sympathy for the situation whatsoever especially since a supposed prior cruiser who SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER didn't give the 'non well traveled' individual the correct information.

This "sob story"? Wow. Another compassionate charmer.... :rolleyes:

Apparently, this "sob story" was confirmed as authentic, not a faker, with stage 4 lung/brain cancer.

Would you really have a problem if say the CEO of an 8 Billion dollar company decided to refund $997 to a man with weeks-to-months left on earth?

Ehh, I think you did. :confused:

Nope. I said people might think they are entitled to a refund. I did not say that they would think so. And I said that perhaps they would make up a story. I did not say that every one of them would make up a story. Big difference.

Edited by time4u2go