Anthem of the seas is headed back to Cape Liberty now due to a storm

lazeyey

I've seen so many weird things. The guy pouring milk from his glass back into the pitcher really took the cake. "Good grief," I thought, "now I'm going to have to find someone to take care of this." But fortunately, a crew member hurried up and carried it away as soon as the passenger put it back on the counter.

When we were on Oasis about a month ago we were in the Solarium Cafe for lunch. This kid, who I would estimate to be about 10 years old, is by the dessert station. He picks up a cup of whatever it was, smells it, and then puts it back.

Maybe during muster drill they should include instructions on proper behavior when using the buffets aboard ship and include that parents are responsible for the actions of their kids.

Could that someone possibly be some of the 1000+ crew members aboard each ship?

The statement that "someone was sick and came onboard and infected others" is not quite correct. You could have noro and not pass it to anyone else if you practice good personal hygiene.

Could a crew member have brought it onboard? As I posted before, sure. But then that person's poor hygiene would continue to reinfect the ship every cruise, which is not what you see.

Was this a damp cloth used to wipe the table down? It usually is, and it is not just water that is in the bucket where the rag is kept. It is a 100ppm chlorine solution, which has a contact time to kill noro in about 30 seconds.

I didn't know this and I am really glad to read it. I always thought wiping down the table with a damp rag was to make it look ok. I always grab an extra napkin on the way in and use it as a table cloth to keep what I am using off of the surface of the table.

Was this a damp cloth used to wipe the table down? It usually is, and it is not just water that is in the bucket where the rag is kept. It is a 100ppm chlorine solution, which has a contact time to kill noro in about 30 seconds.

Is this only used during Noro Outbreaks because I have never smelled Chlorine yet on a cruise. At 100 PPM everyone would be smelling chlorine.

The statement that "someone was sick and came onboard and infected others" is not quite correct. You could have noro and not pass it to anyone else if you practice good personal hygiene.

Could a crew member have brought it onboard? As I posted before, sure. But then that person's poor hygiene would continue to reinfect the ship every cruise, which is not what you see.

The average duration of illness is typically from 12-60 hrs. and slightly longer to fully clear the virus though some people do shed the virus from the gut for some time after resolution of symptoms. A crew member bringing the virus aboard could easily clear it in a week and not be speading it during the next cruise.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Yes it could. Could also be the Customs and Immigration Agents that are invited to have lunch in the WJ after they are done. Also local Travel Agents that can visit the ship while the ship is in port.

Passengers are not always to blame.

We witnessed a group of Travel Agencies visiting the WJ on Jewel while we were docked in San Francisco in September who should have been the poster children for what not to do at a buffet. They were eating opera cake with their fingers while deciding what dessert to take next. One lovely lady then licked her fingers clean, took the server out of the opera cake to then get a piece fruit crumble but was careful to slide the server back under the opera cake slices when she had what she wanted.

Needless to say, we skipped dessert that day.:eek::rolleyes:

When we were on Oasis about a month ago we were in the Solarium Cafe for lunch. This kid, who I would estimate to be about 10 years old, is by the dessert station. He picks up a cup of whatever it was, smells it, and then puts it back.

Maybe during muster drill they should include instructions on proper behavior when using the buffets aboard ship and include that parents are responsible for the actions of their kids.

I agree! I've seen some truly cringeworthy buffet behavior on ships. People need to be reminded, educated, and instructed on proper buffet behavior. The worst thing I ever saw was in the Windjammer several years ago, and it was an adult, not a kid. It was Day 1 lunch and WJ was crowded. I was waiting in a bit of a line to get to the mashed potatoes and green beans, and there was also a container of some kind of goulash type dish at that buffet station. A serving spoon was resting on a small plate in front of the pan. The woman in front of me dragged her finger across the residue on the spoon and then licked her finger to taste it. OMG! I was horrified! She moved on and I 'accidentally' knocked that spoon off the plate onto the floor. (Oops!) An attendant saw the spoon fall and brought a clean one. After I saw that I have been less than enthused about WJ meals.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Thanks for posting that, Patti! Do you know when Captain Andersen will be back aboard?

Judy

All I know is that he will be returning to Anthem, I just don't know when.

Update: From a very reliable source on Anthem, I just learned that Captain Claus is returning to Anthem tomorrow!!!:D:D:D

You're welcome.

Poor guy. He left a battered ship (that was fixed) only to return to a sick ship (that has be completely sanitized). He just can't catch a break!!!

At least now he knows the USCG and NTSB report praised his actions on the 2/6 cruise. Maybe he'll catch a break this week since they have an extra day without passengers to do all that sanitizing. Hoping the next cruise will be virus free and smooth sailing!!

Judy

Is this only used during Noro Outbreaks because I have never smelled Chlorine yet on a cruise. At 100 PPM everyone would be smelling chlorine.

No, this is an everyday requirement of USPH. In fact, the buckets are routinely checked by sanitation supervisors with test strips to ensure the proper concentration still exists. 100ppm is about a capful (from a bleach bottle) in a 3 gallon bucket.

Edited by chengkp75

Do they ever delay other cruise lines coming out of New York and returning bc of storms?

Yes they do.

October 28, 2012 the port was closed to all marine traffic. (Sandy)

Feb 12, 2006 (Blizzard) caused NCL Dawn to not sail as scheduled. They spent the night @anchor in the channel.

It's rare, but it happens.

Exactly right. There are hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE! It's the passengers who don't use them that allow this to spread.

Sanitizers do not kill NORO. You must wash your hands with soap and hot water for at least 20 sec.

The average duration of illness is typically from 12-60 hrs. and slightly longer to fully clear the virus though some people do shed the virus from the gut for some time after resolution of symptoms. A crew member bringing the virus aboard could easily clear it in a week and not be speading it during the next cruise.

But as I said, that crew member's personal hygiene would be such that they would be continually reinfecting themselves and others. As I've said, the crew is not entirely blameless, but with crew being onboard for extended periods, if they were the primary transmission vector, there would be many repeat outbreaks. I've seen the CDC reports where they trace back outbreaks to one or two people who most likely brought it onboard, and their statistical analysis of epidemiology is pretty impressive, just from the answers on the questionnaire.

Unfortunately, Norovirus is notorious for not being susceptible to the hand sanitizers. I think it gives people a false sense of security using the gels and sprays at every turn.

Exactly. Such as this person.....

Exactly right. There are hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE! It's the passengers who don't use them that allow this to spread.

:rolleyes:

I think RCCL should be reconsidering Bayonne for Anthem in Winter cruising. Better to do the Caribbean from Florida in Winter and go back North for Spring - Fall. Florida doesn't have a quantum class ship at all.

Ncl Gem and Breakaway both leave in the Winter months to the Caribbeans,and somehow manage to go around storms ! and not right through them, maybe hitting a bit rough seas but nothing to cause a cruise to be canceled.

Marion