Bioluminescent Tour/ Mosquito Bay

Castle-Cruiser

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this tour? We are on the MSC Divina this November and we are thinking of doing this tour in San Juan. Also not sure if this is going to be a long drive from where we are docked?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this tour? We are on the MSC Divina this November and we are thinking of doing this tour in San Juan. Also not sure if this is going to be a long drive from where we are docked?

It just occured to me that you may want to check with your cruise line or the MSC forum as to what pier you would normally use in San Juan. My guess would be the Old San Juan pier, but it would be a good idea to check.

This appears to be the same experience as at Trelawny, Jamaica, known as Glistening Waters

http://www.visitjamaica.com/glistening-waters

Amazing.

But if it's the same thing, are you aware that this phenomenon can only be seen in the dark.

In other words, it's an evening thing.

Not something you'll see much about here on Cruise Critic because usually you're sailing out of port before it gets dark (around 6pm), when tours in Jamaica start - and I suspect the same applies at Mosquito Bay.

So check the timing.

I very much doubt it'll fit with your ship's schedule, but if it does then definitely go for it. And take an empty plastic coke bottle to fill - great entertainment for your shipmates, though they & the effect will be dead by morning.

JB :)

Edit.

Oooops. "they'll be dead in the morning". That's the microscopic organisms. Not your ship-mates.

Edited by John Bull

We did a similar tour when we stayed in San Juan for a land vacation. Definitely a great tour, however as mentioned above it is a tour that must take place after dark. The bay is about an hour drive from downtown San Juan so not sure it is one I would do as a cruise excursion. Also the moon can change the experience greatly so I would also check on the moon cycle to see if you are there at the appropriate time.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

JB great post.

By the way we will be in your neck of the woods soon.

We fly across the pond this week.

For us it will be cold. But we love to travel so no complaints.

Keith

No need for you to complain about the cold, Keith.

We can do that for you.:D

For us locals, complaining about the weather is a way of life. :rolleyes:

But it's been a remarkably mild winter in the south, mild but stormy for those up north. Turned chilly in the last week or so and with intermittent overnight frosts, but no snow at all this winter. Or is that tempting providence?????

What corner of Blighty are you visiting?

(apologies to the OP for going off-topic, a bad habit of mine :o)

No need for you to complain about the cold, Keith.

We can do that for you.:D

For us locals, complaining about the weather is a way of life. :rolleyes:

But it's been a remarkably mild winter in the south, mild but stormy for those up north. Turned chilly in the last week or so and with intermittent overnight frosts, but no snow at all this winter. Or is that tempting providence?????

What corner of Blighty are you visiting?

(apologies to the OP for going off-topic, a bad habit of mine :o)

JB, we'll be in London.

Sorry to for going off topic. Best to you.

Keith

I have done that back in 2012. Wasn't a "WOW-experience" for me.

We spent a couple of days in San Juan before a cruise and this was an okey experience since we had a lot of time to kill, but if you are only in San Juan for one day I wouldn't do this tour.

We did it when we spent a few nights on Puerto Rico. It is about an hour drive to the east end of the island from the port. If you are there for a day trip only I would recommend the ships excursion. Also be aware that you need to be able to paddle your kayak for about 90 minutes.

Great info! I need to give MSC a call and find of what time we need to be back on the ship. It says we depart at 2:00 am so I'll have to see if we can make it work. That tour looks amazing!

You will have plenty of time to do it if you depart at 2:00 a.m.

BTW you cannot swim in the bay, it is illegal and your guides will not allow it.

Edited by zqvol

Be sure to check the moon phase for when you will be in Puerto Rico. The amount of moonlight has a definite effect on the flagellates in the water. If I remember correctly, the tours do not go when the moon is full.

Go to the San Juan ports of call board. There aren't that many tour operators for the Mosquito Bay trips. Some may have transportation services provided from various hotel pickup spots; you could take advantage of that.