Alaska, all help appreciated!

torybruno

We are a group of 8 adults, (52-65), hoping to do an Alaskan cruise, and possibly side extended trip before or after this summer. We are not cruise line loyal. We will probably be choosing the ship by itenirary, excursions offered or booked privately at port, and price.

So the big question? What is just not to miss for our first Alaskan cruise? We are more "active go and do people" as opposed to sitting in a bus and looking at scenery.

I should also include we would like to embark between July 15-aug1.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments :)

Edited by torybruno

How about a little reading down the board? Every port is covered. The many discussions about the importance (or not) of Glacier Bay, and what cruise lines go there. The pluses and minuses of the differing routes.

"Must do" is what interests you, not what we tell you it is, and all 8 of you don't have to do the same thing.

All of this, and much, much more, is just down the board if you look.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree that you should investigate and plan according to your interests. However, in our 15 annual trips we have chosen the following as our "can't miss" excursions. Ketchikan, floatplane to Misty Fiords; Juneau, whale watching with Orca Enterprises; Skagway, rent car and drive to Yukon and Emerald Lake or take ferry to Haines; Hoonah, bear watch with Teckk Outfitter's; Sitka, great walking town; Haines, scenery, bears eagles; all glaciers-Tracy Arm and Sawyer glaciers, Glacier Bay, Hubbard glacier-are all spectacular in different ways. Whatever you do, you will love it, and probably return.

We will probably be choosing the ship by itenirary, excursions offered or booked privately at port, and price.

So the big question? What is just not to miss for our first Alaskan cruise? We are more "active go and do people" as opposed to sitting in a bus and looking at scenery.

Some can't miss ideas....

• This port called Vancouver! If you are in town July 23, 27, or 30....you will be greated by a massive FREE fireworks competition. You want to budget 3 or 4 days there.
    http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/
  • how "active" are you? Are you interested in trying out the Sasquatch zip line?
  • Do you like glaciers? Look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Some want to do Tracy Arm... some cruise lines allow you to do both with a mid-ship side excursion.
  • you didn't mention if you were looking at 7 day return, 7 day one way, 14 return, or a HAL Yukon Denali combo where your Anchorage/Skagway segment can be over land, train and plane!

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Head to your library and check out Frommer's or Fodor's guide books and explore just want you want to see or do before making your booking.

I create a graph chart with the cruiselines/ships across the top, then the things of importance to me (size of ship, cabin type, cost, ports, time in ports, excursions, etc) down the side. As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box, as you near the end of your research, one should have more x's.

As an example, RCI ships do not get permits to go into Glacier Bay. HAL and Princess get the most, with a few to NCL and Carnival. Know the difference between Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (lots do Tracy Arm or try to) as Glacier Bay is a National Park with limited access.

My first cruise I chose a cruise that went to Sitka versus Skagway as I wanted to see the Russian History. Second cruise included Skagway then over land to the Yukon as it seemed to go with Alaska in my mind.

Only you know what you want from the cruise, so it's up to you to do your research. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise to Alaska. It is an awesome destination.

Cruises and cruise-tours for those dates this year are probably close to being fully booked . Maybe start looking for 2017 and book when you can start booking.

All ports are the same with all cruise lines . You have to look at the individual ships and their port times. Keep in mind that Alaska is about scenery and wildlife not the ship.

If you want to do a land tour . I suggest you start with it and finish with the cruise.

All ports have plenty to do that doesn't require use a vehicle for the whole tour.

Yes, you might be cutting it close booking for this year.

If I am right, with the new Summer On Sale promotion that began today with Princess, some fares went UP.

There will be plenty of active excursions, with most any cruise line or cruise ship. We have also booked direct excursions with recommended operators.

I could not imagine an Alaska cruise without Glacier Bay.

I think Princess and HAL are the two lines with the most permits for Glacier Bay. The cruise lines that are considered to be more 'fun' or 'active' than Princess and HAL do not have permits for Glacier bay.

I would prioritize according to itinerary and ports. Then make that the priority for which sailing to choose. I am going to assume that this cruise is more about ALASKA than the onboard experience.

With the time-frame that you have mentioned, You might want to look into the Salmon Run- Bear Vewing opportunities as a do-not-miss.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We are a group of 8 adults, (52-65), hoping to do an Alaskan cruise, and possibly side extended trip before or after this summer. We are not cruise line loyal. We will probably be choosing the ship by itenirary, excursions offered or booked privately at port, and price.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments :)

"Active and go", is a poor mix with a cruise tour, in my opinion. Do all 8 have the same time investment available? Another week is ideal. I would suggest going independent, since you don't want the long bus transits. A rental car opens up a whole lot more, especially freedom. :) But a bus, is a given for Denali park- essential you get to at least Eielson in my opinion. But the "ride" is all about what is outside, with good wildlife potential, and changing scenery.

As for the cruise, read up on EACH, Alaska port- there are only 6 on the inside passage. Rank those interests, especially a through look at the activities and tours available. That list goes a long way toward narrowing down your choices. Viapond's Alaska By Cruiseship is a great reference. Also, Fodor's and Frommer's Alaska also have port of call books. Try your library.

Here is how I decided...

- Do not want to be gone for more than 8 nights, so chose round trip

- Non-stop flights available to Seattle and DS wants to go to Boeing, so chose that embarkation port

- Want to go to Glacier Bay, so that left Princess, HAL and NCL(not sure if HAL even goes out of Seattle)

- Do not want to take any dress up clothes as we will have a lot already with layers for Alaska weather, plus HAL did not seem our style and Princess balcony cabins do not sleep 3, so NCL Pearl for us. Their ports meet our wishes as well.

Booked last summer and have seen fares for our sailing up 4 times for about $500 total. For Alaska best to book early or last minute.

Hope you find one that works for your group.

T

We chose the Southbound on the Coral Princess

It is a 7 day cruise.

Princess does have cabins for 3 or 4 guests.

(Be careful of any misinformation here!)

Seattle is a convenient point for many, but we found that we could hit more of our priorities on a one-way, and the airfare was not that much more. I am not an expert, but believe that most cruises from Seattle will sail on more open water, with possibly higher seas, and not as much of the scenic inside passage.

Different cruisers have different priorities!

Decide what is most important to you on your Alaskan Cruise, and then pick an itinerary/ship that ticks the most boxes!

CruiserBruce has it right.

Just read as many threads as you can. This is one of the most informative boards.

There are very few must sees as there are just so many places to enjoy. This is why many of us sail Alaska multiple times. There are always new discoveries and various factors can change things up including the weather.

Keith

Head to your library and check out Frommer's or Fodor's guide books and explore just want you want to see or do before making your booking.

I create a graph chart with the cruiselines/ships across the top, then the things of importance to me (size of ship, cabin type, cost, ports, time in ports, excursions, etc) down the side. As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box, as you near the end of your research, one should have more x's.

As an example, RCI ships do not get permits to go into Glacier Bay. HAL and Princess get the most, with a few to NCL and Carnival. Know the difference between Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (lots do Tracy Arm or try to) as Glacier Bay is a National Park with limited access.

My first cruise I chose a cruise that went to Sitka versus Skagway as I wanted to see the Russian History. Second cruise included Skagway then over land to the Yukon as it seemed to go with Alaska in my mind.

Only you know what you want from the cruise, so it's up to you to do your research. Have fun planning, then taking your cruise to Alaska. It is an awesome destination.

Excellent advice.

Here is how I decided...

-and Princess balcony cabins do not sleep 3, so NCL Pearl for us.

T

Per Wishing on a Star's post..

Princess does have cabins for 3 or 4 guests.

(Be careful of any misinformation here!)

Thanks for pointing this out. Sorry about the misinformation. I recall now that we ruled out the Crown Princess after looking at the floor plan for balcony rooms. It looks like the third berth (when offered) is a pullman which we did not want. We prefer a pull out sofa and would have had to go up to a more expensive mini suite to get that.

Decision process is the same. Make some choices and start narrowing down the field.

T

The Museum of Flight is not "Boeing", but at the Boeing Field. Also their excellent gift shop is nearby. This is an easy location gotten to via city bus, stops right out in front- 124. An interesting museum tie to, both, our resident poster Kennicott and my husband, with museum pieces. :)

Thanks BQ. I wouldn't have thought to post my Seattle questions here on the Alaska board.

We are arriving at 11:15 am day before cruise and plan to rent a car so that we can visit the museum before heading to hotel. On disembarkation day we go home on the red eye so planning to get a car again and get a late afternoon tour at Boeing plant. How far in advance to buy tickets for mid June? At last check, all times were available. Also thinking we should pre-purchase Space Needle tickets but worried about overcast weather/poor viewing...

T

Thanks BQ. I wouldn't have thought to post my Seattle questions here on the Alaska board.

We are arriving at 11:15 am day before cruise and plan to rent a car so that we can visit the museum before heading to hotel. On disembarkation day we go home on the red eye so planning to get a car again and get a late afternoon tour at Boeing plant. How far in advance to buy tickets for mid June? At last check, all times were available. Also thinking we should pre-purchase Space Needle tickets but worried about overcast weather/poor viewing...

T

Cruise ship, dump days increase the demand for the Boeing Factory, I'd be booking at least a couple weeks ahead. I would not book the space needle ahead.

ToryBruno I am 58 and we have a group from 48 - 73 on our upcoming cruise in August. I'm also a Travel Agent....I'm telling you this because Alaska is booming!!! a lot of things are sold out, but if you are planning a land/sea combo you better book now! Most land parts sell out before the sea part. With that said, I have found it very easy to do Alaska on your own. We have stayed 4 days on a previous trip post cruise and went to Denali, this time we are spending 4 nights in the Kenai/Seward area before the cruise. Go for as long as you can. 10 nights minimum...7 cruise, 3 land. It's very easy with the threads on this site to plan. Go to websites for Anchorage or Seattle and you will find a lot of information there. Whatever you do, try to get the ports that afford you the most time in port. Don't be too caught up in everyones suggestions...you will love Alaska and what it has to offer not matter what itinerary you end up taking, BUT DO IT NOW!! If not, start planning for next year, which I might add, already some sailings have some categories sold out.