Do most recommend Air2sea?

On 3/2/2016 at 2:32 PM, slyone14 said:

OR should I wait and prices will go down? Im new to booking flights, im curious is the longer I wait the more they drop?

Prices for flights can and do go up and down, repeatedly.  You can wait, and maybe they'll go down, but maybe they'll go up instead.  It's not like widgets on a shelf that all start out at the same price and go on clearance later on. Airlines use complicated algorithms to determine if and when to release or withhold fares in various fare buckets.  If fares are selling faster than the airline expected, you could easily see prices go up to compensate for the increased demand.  Find a price you can live with, purchase, and then quit checking prices.

On 3/2/2016 at 6:11 PM, Riff Sniff said:

booking flights through Royal provides some peace of mind that they will get you to the ship in the event there is a problem with your inbound flight.

Keep in mind that the cruise line will not hold the ship indefinitely for you.   The big advantage of buying cruise air fare is that if you do miss the ship, they will generally do whatever is reasonable to fly you to a subsequent port to catch up to the ship.  But if there are sea days it won't automatically be the next day.   It also depends on seats being available, you having a passport if needed, and working within the confines of the PVSA if applicable.

19 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

This time, we are concerned about possible delays etc, and whether doing it through Air2Sea gives us any additional protections, should delays occur.   

See above.  Air2Sea may help you catch up to the ship but there are no absolute guarantees of what will happen.

19 hours ago, kag19 said:

If they are the same price or less then we book through them.

Just understand that there may be differences in that ticket that you through them for a lower price.  What those differences are, exactly, and whether they will end up mattering is anybody's guess.

14 hours ago, sally4909 said:

Delta offers non stop flights so probably book with them and would prefer either business class or extra comfort/legroom seats.

Just understand that there is a HUGE difference between business class and Comfort+.  You're talking about two completely different products.

Yes, I understand that there is a huge difference between business and comfort plus. I was more just asking if there are larger discounts for business class and or comfort plus compared to the discounts for a basic seat ticket if using Choice Air. Just looking for information that other  Cruisecritic members may have experienced when using Chouce Air. 

22 hours ago, sally4909 said:

Yes, I understand that there is a huge difference between business and comfort plus. I was more just asking if there are larger discounts for business class and or comfort plus compared to the discounts for a basic seat ticket if using Choice Air. Just looking for information that other  Cruisecritic members may have experienced when using Chouce Air. 

I doubt there is any firm "rule" about that.   As with regular airfare, it likely varies from flight to flight, depending on date, itinerary, plane configuration (i.e. inventory of each type of seat style) and assorted other factors.

On 3/2/2016 at 2:07 PM, slyone14 said:

HI all my fellow brothers and sisters of RCCL;

I have a couple questions for those who can lend advice and help. I have been cruising for about 3 years now all with Carnival. I live in Tampa, Florida, so im used to just driving wherever I need to portwise to catch my ship.

Well! I just got a promotion and this life time Florida boy is moving to Philadelphia, PA for my job. I booked a cruise out of port Can. in RCCL freedom of the Seas for my first RCCL cruise. in Sept for my birthday cruise sept 25th. My work will get me the days off, so that's not an issue at all. But, seeing I am a budget conscious person, I want to get the best deals, but protect myself in the process. I have seen flights on expedia and price line for direct flights at 630am the morning of the cruise and arriving at 930am. ANd for the flight home around noon for around $245.

I checked out RCCl AIr2sea program for direct flights each way for $325, but I think it includes transportation to the port. Which again, im used to just driving into port, lol. SO my questions is this, do most loyal RCCl people book the AIR2Sea flights, they seem to protect me, give money back for any reason, and help change items? If I book on another site, once I pay, im screwed. Second, I hear if I do book here, RCCL provides free transportation each way?

Any help, advice, or tactics for doing this would be greatly appreciated. Im really new to this and really nervous and scared about this. I hear people say they arrive night before, but again, that's extra cost. THank you everyone, need to get a sense of what to do, and how best to spend my money with flights and transportation from ORL AP to PC.

Gregg

We used Air2sea only once with nearly disastrous results. When we got to the airport this sky cap handling our luggage said our flight was cancelled. I thought he was just busting me. We went inside and our flight was canceled. I called the emergency Air2sea number and no answer, early flight, no one answered phone. So we go inside and plead our case with Delta and get last 2 seats on a much later flight that barely gets us to ship in time. Extremely stressful. Not stress free as advertised!

I call Air2sea later and they say thanks for letting us know about your flight being canceled. No apology.

Return flight though Air2sea with Delta has stop over in Atlanta. We run to the gate and doors to plane locked 15 minutes before flight time. Find Delta agent too late no flights.

Delta puts us up for the night and flight next day.

Compensation $50.00 for Delta useless credit. Never used.

Compensation from RCL $0.00.

Now we book South West airlines with pre night cruise stay. Or cruise out of Baltimore Bayonne or New York City.

Experience about 5 years ago so maybe they improved?

Cancelled flights can happen and nothing to do with a Cruise Air program. If I am traveling for a cruise and depending on the City I am cruising from,  I plan to arrive 2 to 3 days early. I would never attempt to come in the morning of a cruise.  I know many do. Daughter & I are leaving from San Pedro in March for our Hawaii cruise and will drive in the afternoon before to relax and enjoy meeting some of our CC Members.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, cementhands said:

stop over in Atlanta. We run to the gate and doors to plane locked 15 minutes before flight time.

Generally speaking, the boarding door for any flight can be expected to close approximately 10 minute prior to scheduled flight time.  (Note that I said approximately; I would consider anything in the 1-15 minute window to be expected.)  This is necessary in order to finalize paperwork, including the final passenger manifest, in time to allow an on-time departure. 

Sometimes the door will remain open, if the airline knows a significant number of passengers is on the way and has determined that the cost of delaying the flight is less than the cost of re-accommodating those passengers.  And sometimes the door will remain open in the airline knows the flight will already be delayed for some other reason (bags late being loaded, catering late being loaded, mechanical issue, late-arriving crew, weather related delay, ground stop at destination airport etc. etc.)  But if a flight is scheduled to depart at 2:00pm, one should assume that they really only have until around 1:50 to get onboard.  Just something to be aware of in the future!

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Generally speaking, the boarding door for any flight can be expected to close approximately 10 minute prior to scheduled flight time.  (Note that I said approximately; I would consider anything in the 1-15 minute window to be expected.)  This is necessary in order to finalize paperwork, including the final passenger manifest, in time to allow an on-time departure. 

Sometimes the door will remain open, if the airline knows a significant number of passengers is on the way and has determined that the cost of delaying the flight is less than the cost of re-accommodating those passengers.  And sometimes the door will remain open in the airline knows the flight will already be delayed for some other reason (bags late being loaded, catering late being loaded, mechanical issue, late-arriving crew, weather related delay, ground stop at destination airport etc. etc.)  But if a flight is scheduled to depart at 2:00pm, one should assume that they really only have until around 1:50 to get onboard.  Just something to be aware of in the future!

I understand that but when you book through Air2sea and they land you at one end of Atlanta and you have to run to the other gate and it’s closed. Something is not right.

And when you call Air2sea emergency phone number with no help! 

So I’m saying that if you think it’s stress free and they help you that’s a Fallacy!

I spent my time dealing with Delta air. Air2sea was not helpful.

28 minutes ago, cementhands said:

I understand that but when you book through Air2sea and they land you at one end of Atlanta and you have to run to the other gate and it’s closed. Something is not right.

And when you call Air2sea emergency phone number with no help! 

So I’m saying that if you think it’s stress free and they help you that’s a Fallacy!

I spent my time dealing with Delta air. Air2sea was not helpful.

First of all, I absolutely agree that getting no help from Air2Sea was wrong.   They DO make it sound like you'll never have to worry if you book through them, and you are not the first person to find out that marketing hype doesn't always = reality.  That's a huge caveat of booking with them.  But it sounded like you were surprised to find the boarding door closed prior to scheduled departure, so I was explaining how that works...for any flight, regardless of how booked.

Now, as for what was booked for you by Air2Sea...

1.  Air2Sea has no way of knowing in advance what a flight's departure or arrival gate will be.   Delta can't even determine that, with certainty, until the time comes.  Gates can and do change at the last minute and that is not unique to Delta.  Atlanta is Delta's main hub and they have operations in all 7 concourses, so flights an and do arrive/depart from all over the place there.

2.  All that said, the minimum connect time for domestic-domestic flights for Delta at ATL is 35 minutes.  What that means is that if all goes according to schedule, a person can generally make a 35 minute connection.  If you try to book a shorter connection, the system won't allow you to do so.   That doesn't mean 35 minutes is ideal though, as it allows no cushion.  Your inbound flight could be delayed, the plane train could be temporarily disabled, a passenger might not have sufficient mobility to walk quickly, you could be seated in the very back of the plane etc.  But the connection should have been known to you at the time of booking.    I'm curious- what was the actual scheduled arrival time of your inbound flight, was it on time, and what was the scheduled departure time of your connecting flight? 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Does anyone know, if you book your choice air flight with a Royal Caribbean credit card, do you get double points for the purchase?

Yes, Air2Sea counts as a Royal Caribbean purchase.

Puerto Rico is US, so no price advantage for using Air2Sea if flying there from another US city.
Maybe, maybe not. We booked SDF - HOU on Delta a in 2016 for $100 less than booking directly through Delta. Currently watching prices for SDF - SJU for this fall. Air2Sea price on American is currently $180 less than directly with American. Prices are up from a couple of weeks ago, so still haven't booked.

Prices for SDF - EWR last summer were running slightly higher than direct bookings. We still booked Air2Sea.

4 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Maybe, maybe not. We booked SDF - HOU on Delta a in 2016 for $100 less than booking directly through Delta. Currently watching prices for SDF - SJU for this fall. Air2Sea price on American is currently $180 less than directly with American. Prices are up from a couple of weeks ago, so still haven't booked.

Prices for SDF - EWR last summer were running slightly higher than direct bookings. We still booked Air2Sea.

Are you able to use the Air2Sea website to see these good price, or do you have to call?

Are you able to use the Air2Sea website to see these good price, or do you have to call?
Seeing them on the website. Haven't booked yet in hopes of prices dropping back below $600 each, but that's looking less likely all the time.

1 minute ago, hapster85 said:
20 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Seeing them on the website. Haven't booked yet in hopes of prices dropping back below $600 each, but that's looking less likely all the time.

Do you need to already have a cruise booked to look at what the prices are for their airfare?  Sometimes, airfare prices can influence which sailing you decide to book.

I have saved through Air2Sea on domestic flights as well.  I always check all websites before booking.  Last time I saved $200 and the time before it was the same price.  If it is the same or less then I book through them.  If not, then I don't. :)

Do you need to already have a cruise booked to look at what the prices are for their airfare?  Sometimes, airfare prices can influence which sailing you decide to book.
Yes, there's a "search only" option on the site. Just need a ship and sail date.

12 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

No, there is a price check tab you can select.

I just did a price check to Barcelona for next year, and checked it from JFK 1 way non stop $412.20. Only thing I need to work out when time comes, is my best route since our TA returns to MIA. Do I fl a R/T ticket from Calif to MIA then to BCN or 1 way tickets all around. Mia out was more expensive

I did another search this morning for our trip to Barcelona next year and it will work out the best for both the daughter & I to do a 1 way ticket to Newark from our homes, then using Air2Sea Non Stop from Newark to BCN and then depart at the end of the TA out of MIA for our homes.  I used 2019 dates to get schedule & pricing

PSP to Newark $ 220, Newark to BCN ( Air2Sea ) $240, MIA to PSP $240

41 minutes ago, preschool teacher said:

Thanks to all for the advice. We are doing a TA from Tampa...we drive there .

ending in Amsterdam. I know it’s too early to book but it sounds Royal’s Air 2 sea would be the best price...? How far out do they book? One year out?

thaks again...oh our trip is May 2020....

About 11 months in advance of the flight.

My problem with air2sea has been they believe 30 min is ok to catch another flight. That being said, when going to Alaska and flying through Canada and Anchorage has been very helpful. Keep checking flight prices yourself just in case, be sure to go in a day early.