Pompeii - how walkable?

linkerbink

My sister and I would like to see Pompeii on our stop in Naples. She is recovering from surgery and has a little difficulty in walking. How walkable are the ruins? Is the surface very uneven, lots of steps, long distances, etc? This has been a dream of hers for many years and I hope she will be able to manage this. We were thinking of a private tour so she won't have to keep up with a guided group. Any thoughts here?

My sister and I would like to see Pompeii on our stop in Naples. She is recovering from surgery and has a little difficulty in walking. How walkable are the ruins? Is the surface very uneven, lots of steps, long distances, etc? This has been a dream of hers for many years and I hope she will be able to manage this. We were thinking of a private tour so she won't have to keep up with a guided group. Any thoughts here?

Hello Susan

From memory it was all fairly flat. There must be some uneven parts away from the main traffic areas but these are easily avoided. I hope you and your sister enjoy it as much as I did. Because we were a party of differing mobility we just did this on our own, using a guide book, the Rick Steve podcast and having watched a couple of TV documentaries about the city. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]bTLA4hKQtkM[/YOUTUBE]

Unfortunately it is very difficult walking but where there is a will, there's a way. The Porta Marina entrance requires a fairly steep uphill walk on uneven terrain but that can be avoided by entering at either Piazza Esedra (where many tour groups enter) or at Piazza Anfiteatro.

If this is important to your sister, and it sounds like it is, I would contact a tour guide in advance so they have time to lay out an itinerary that will be as easy as possible on her. I would start by e-mailing a service like this one and explain your needs: http://www.guidepompei.com/

Thanks both of you for your quick and valuable responses! I am confident we will be able to find a way to accomplish this visit.

PS - loved the video, Cornishpastyman1!

Edited by linkerbink

My husband who has 2 metal hips and an arthritic ankle managed Pompeii

The trick is to take it easy

The surfaces are uneven and it can get hot out there!

Make sure your sister has a walking stick/cane that can convert to a seat so she can rest frequently

use an umbrella as a sunshade and make sure you take plenty of drinking water

it is a large site so there will be areas that are crowded and then you will find yourself in an open empty area

In the crowded parts make sure your sister is protected so she doesn't get jostled and lose her balance

it's a challenge but worth it

Edited by fabnfortysomething

My husband who has 2 metal hips and an arthritic ankle managed Pompeii

The trick is to take it easy

The surfaces are uneven and it can get hot out there!

Make sure your sister has a walking stick/cane that can convert to a seat so she can rest frequently

use an umbrella as a sunshade and make sure you take plenty of drinking water

it is a large site so there will be areas that are crowded and then you will find yourself in an open empty area

In the crowded parts make sure your sister is protected so she doesn't get jostled and lose her balance

it's a challenge but worth it

Thanks for the great tips! She has a walker with a seat but that probably would not work too well on that terrain. I will see if I can find a cane with a seat.

I'd just take it slow and do as much as can be done safely.

I don't mean to ask type of surgery she had but if it was either knee or hip replacement or open heart surgery with full sternal incision, I would not recommend she walk Pompeii.

If she had a small incision abdominal surgery, she probably can walk enough to make it worth it.

How long has she been recovering?

I agree that a private tour would be the way to go so you can go at the pace she feels comfortable with. One thing to point out -if it is raining (one of the times I went to Pompeii it was) then it is incredibly slippery and if you are doing a private tour you can have a back up / alternate tour planned in case. Just something to keep in mind...

Hope you and your sister have a wonderful trip!!!

If you think you might need a substitute, google Ostia Antica and take a look . I believe your sister could use her walker there and it would be much easier than Pompeii. Also, I would suggest that you google pictures of Pompeii and take a good look at the streets. If you believe you can make it; follow your dream.

There is a cameo factory at the bottom of the hill. I bought a signed cameo that I wear proudly to remember my day in Pompeii.

Bobbie

You might try Herculaneum instead much better preserved smaller overall with plenty of places to sit and more walker friendly. It's less well known than Pompeii but actually prettier to look at and it was buried in the same blast as Pompeii.. I've been to both and honestly liked Herculaneum better

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are two older ladies with limited mobility. We had cane seats, but upon approaching Pompeii, we soon knew it would be a waste of money to enter the site. We walked around the outside with only views of the inside. Hopefully you can open the photos.

100_0168.jpg.6f8a54105d7b3f99f5e36aa953b23577.jpg

100_0169.jpg.8bea68b15ad61cb3dd753f7dadec3e1a.jpg

Edited by agabbymama

We are two older ladies with limited mobility. We had cane seats, but upon approaching Pompeii, we soon knew it would be a waste of money to enter the site. We walked around the outside with only views of the inside. Hopefully you can open the photos.

That's a pity, the other entrances are flat :(

In all honesty, I would not advise you to go. I don't have any mobility issues but after the walk from the parking lot to the ruins and up the incline, I was winded and had to sit down. We were there in August and it was unbearably hot. The roads are cobbled.

In all honesty, I would not advise you to go. I don't have any mobility issues but after the walk from the parking lot to the ruins and up the incline, I was winded and had to sit down. We were there in August and it was unbearably hot. The roads are cobbled.

I was not going to respond as enough replies as it,BUT this response would have been what I would have written.Save it for another trip/cruise whatever,but just having a little difficulty is enough IMHO to say don't go at this time.I have been a couple of times and it never is easy.

I would also suggest Herculeum with a private tour. A car/van could go right up the the entrance. Plus, you might be able to arrange a push wheelchair for Herculeum. It is beautifully preserved. The walk to Pompeii has a steep incline and there are lots of stones, ruts, as pictured. You would not regret Herculeum and I think it would be a better experience.

I was watching a recent documentary about Pompeii on BBC last week. I have limited mobility so am always attentive as to how manageable places are. I noticed they had steel walkways for wheelchair users on top of the uneven stones.

I would email and ask them. I would also put a question on Tripadvisor. Years ago, before I had mobility issues I visited both Ephesus and Pompeii and the best advice I had was wear a hat, put on sun tan lotion and take a bottle of water and it wasn't even summer time.

Thank you, everyone who responded. It sounds like this would not be a good idea for her/us. I was a nice thought to do it but we have decided to defer for now. Anyway, it would be a great excuse to come back to Naples at a later date!:D