GoPro

Denversail

We are thinking about getting a GoPro to bring on our Royal Caribbean cruise in a few weeks. Can anyone who has taken one share their experience? Was it worth bringing or more of a pain than it is worth? Did you find yourself in a lot of situations where you were using it?

We just returned from a 21d Equinox cruise and used the go pro all the time. We used the setting for video and shot every five seconds so we got some really cool pictures. We had it on a telescoping stick and it was fun to put it in the water shooting the bow of a sailboat. Snorkelling? Perfect. I suggest getting a small case (see Amazon) to put all the bits in and get extra batteries.

I have had one for about 4 years now.

It was pretty cool at first but I rarely use it anymore.

Sure I take it with me but only took a few photos on the last trip.

Tried it diving, snowboarding and all the cool things but it's not something you want to really watch more than once.

If I ever lost it, I would not get another.

Save the money...

When my wife to be stopped in a shop and looked at one and said 'this looks good' I took full advantage and said 'it will be good for the wedding' when I was really thinking it will be amazing underwater on our Caribbean cruise Honeymoon...practiced with it for a year, finally got on that beach in Barbados got in the sea....the thing packed up!!! Was gutted! Was never really that impressed with the quality but it was probably just me and I had an older one.

I have a Hero 2 and a Garmin VIRB camera, primarily for motorcycle use. Hero is on the bike (various mounts) and the VIRB goes on the helmet.

If you are the type of person who carries a camera while on vacation and snaps lots of pics, then an action cam is a great addition.

If you don't, you'll have a hard time getting used to it and it will seem like a burden. Plus there will be that "How do I use this damn thing" frustration, your results won't look that great and then there's the post vacation editing that you never get around to. You'll finally say "screw it" and sell the action cam cheap because you're not using it.

And that is how I got the 2 of them.

We are thinking about getting a GoPro to bring on our Royal Caribbean cruise in a few weeks. Can anyone who has taken one share their experience? Was it worth bringing or more of a pain than it is worth? Did you find yourself in a lot of situations where you were using it?

If you want pictures it is not worth it, if you want videos, maybe it is, but be careful.

Since last year, I travel with my Go Pro Hero 4 Session (the very small one).

But with an added piece of equipment, you got to think about when you use it as well as the follow-up video editing etc. I am into making videos so I enjoy having the additional footage coming from a Go Pro.

I bring along a computer laptop to download the videos every other day because the memory card will fill up very fast especially if you let the video recording run.

Here are some videos I made using Go Pro footage, which would have been very hard (if not impossible) to do with normal cameras as we were touring.

Taking the water slide on the MSC Preziosa.

[YOUTUBE]Ns1ynVRQ7js[/YOUTUBE]

Boarding a Ryanair flight in London Stansted.

[YOUTUBE]2Ki3o2Gui_M[/YOUTUBE]

Caught this footage of illegal street vendors packing up and running away before a police patrol came - this was in Barcelona.

[YOUTUBE]0Uhf_SHVE0Y[/YOUTUBE]

Boarding the MSC Preziosa Yacht Club.

[YOUTUBE]QYM1lHmhqS4[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Iluvcruising2

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black and a Sony HDR-AS100V action cam. I would say that the Sony are better then the GoPro on most things except underwater.

The Sony has image stabilization and the GoPro doesn't. This makes a BIG difference when you are watching the movies.

I would buy the Sony HDR-AS200V hands down before I would buy a GoPro 4 Silver/Black. In Sweden you can find a Sony HDR-AS200V for half the price of an GoPro Hero 4 Silver.

You can find a lot of clips made with both the GoPro Hero 3 Black and the Sony HDR-AS100V on my Youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraKimB/videos

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

The side camera is the GoPro and the bow camera is the Sony.

Edited by Extra Kim

I have a Hero 2 and a Garmin VIRB camera, primarily for motorcycle use. Hero is on the bike (various mounts) and the VIRB goes on the helmet.

If you are the type of person who carries a camera while on vacation and snaps lots of pics, then an action cam is a great addition.

If you don't, you'll have a hard time getting used to it and it will seem like a burden. Plus there will be that "How do I use this damn thing" frustration, your results won't look that great and then there's the post vacation editing that you never get around to. You'll finally say "screw it" and sell the action cam cheap because you're not using it.

And that is how I got the 2 of them.

Nailed it!

I've found my GoPro Hero 4 to be the least intuitive motion camera I've ever owned. I pack it when traveling but by the time I get the thing set up and running whatever I wanted to shoot has already become a documentary on PBS! If I stumble into getting the thing to do what I want, when I want and actually film something - no one wants to watch it when I get back home anyway.

I know 90% of my disfavor is 'pilot error' and if an expert were to really show me how to use the thing on the run (the directions that came with the camera are not all that helpful) my Go Pro review would be much improved because it's a really slick camera when used as intended. Short of bike, plane or boat motion work stick with a quality small point and shoot digital camera and let your eyes do the filming. Your brain is very capable of handling the replays and in very hi def.

My kids bought me one for Christmas to use on our vacation in CO. I got some great video after just a day of scanning the instructions. The only complaint I would have is the inability to review from the camera (but there may be an accessory to do that...haven't checked).

I officiate high school basketball and have been trying to convince the trainers in my association that it would be a great teaching tool in a camp setting. Either have a camper (official being evaluated) or a staff member wear it using the head strap. That way after the game you could use a computer and really explain (and emphasize) how you don't have as clear a view of the action as you think or that you aren't watching where you should because the camera would be pointed at the same thing the face is pointing to all the time.

Now, if you are basing the decision to get one on need it will probably be hard to justify. However, every time I mentioned getting one the word "need" was never used...I used the word "want".

I have one, but never have found much use for it. If you like to watch videos, I say, why not. I'm not one to watch vacation videos at home or online. I prefer photos. If I want a video, I use my iPhone. But, I find myself that after I shoot the video, I almost never watch it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app