Travel Ins & Offer Package Gratuities

Received Beverage and Specialty dining package offer when I booked the cruise.

Had to pay gratuities.

When searching for travel ins. do I add the gratuities to the total price of the trip?

No need to because if you don't take the cruise gratuities that are prepaid are refunded.

Edited by zqvol

Trip insurance generally only compensates the actual loss. When we had to cancel at the last minute, we lost only the fare. The cruise line refunded our prepaid on-board charges as well as port fees etc.

Read the cruise tract and the insurance policy. It may cost you more to over insure and you may get nothing if you under insure.

Trip insurance generally only compensates the actual loss. When we had to cancel at the last minute, we lost only the fare. The cruise line refunded our prepaid on-board charges as well as port fees etc.

Read the cruise tract and the insurance policy. It may cost you more to over insure and you may get nothing if you under insure.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I don't want to spend more than I have to.

If I don't include the gratuities & service charges I can save $100 on the travel ins policy. That's a big savings!

That's what I'm trying to avoid.

I don't want to spend more than I have to.

If I don't include the gratuities & service charges I can save $100 on the travel ins policy. That's a big savings!

anything you will be refunded you do not need to insure for

No need to because if you don't take the cruise gratuities that are prepaid are refunded.

Received a reply from NCL

Daily Service Charge is refundable where the gratuities for food and beverage is not.

Would you say, the service charge on the beverage and dining offers are not refundable then?

So confusing!

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

:( So sorry, I'm not getting it.

So I asked NCL if the 18% on the specialty dining package and beverage package are a non-refundable gratuity and should be included in the total trip price when quoting travel insurance?

My invoice states the 18% as Service Charges not Gratuities. ..I have not pre-pay the Daily Service Charge.

Their response was - this may have a minimal affect your travel insurance.

But it does, if the S/C is refundable I do not need to have it insured, I save a big chuck of change.

:( So sorry' date=' I'm not getting it.

My invoice states the 18% as [i']Service Charges[/i] not Gratuities. ..I have not pre-pay the Daily Service Charge.

Their response was - this may have a minimal affect your travel insurance.

But it does, if the S/C is refundable I do not need to have it insured, I save a big chuck of change.

If you cancel the cruise will the 18% DSC be refunded ? if yes then do not add to insurance total

If you leave the ship mid cruise with they prorate the DSC & refund the days not used ? if yes do not add to insurance total

If the answer is NO they will not refund the DSC then add it to the total for insurance

You are way over thinking the issue

any charge that is NON REFUNDABLE just add it to the insurance

We booked a hotel with the advance rate & non refundable ...since at the time of booking I had planned to use the hotel prior to the cruise

Unfortunately we did not make it to Miami so trip insurance kicked in & covered the hotel amount plus the cruise & airfare up to the insured amount