Port put bags on wrong ship

richmke

We sat in the MDR with a couple that drove down to Miami. Carnival's signage in Port of Miami is very poor. All I saw was one sign on the way in that told you which ship was in which dock. If you missed that scrolling sign, you were SOL.

The couple ended up at Dock D, whereas our ship was at Dock E. They asked the baggage handler if it was the Glory, and the guy said "yes" and took their clearly labeled bags - You know, the tags Carnival gives you that has your ship, sailing date, and Cabin number.

They went to park their car, and when the shuttle dropped them off, they suspected a problem.

Well, the bags ended up on an 8-day cruise on the Breeze, vs a 7-day cruise on the Glory. It took Carnival until Monday for the Breeze to acknowledge that the bags were on the Breeze. Then Carnival told them they would not be able to get their bags until Sunday, when the Breeze returns to Miami.

As far as we know, Carnival never "owned" the problem, and said it was the passenger's fault. The couple did get a few token things like a 20% discount in the ship's store to buy some clothes, free laundry, and a free bottle of wine. I know the Cruise Contract says that Carnival is not responsible for luggage until Carnival has the luggage "on board". Since "on board" is never defined ... well, the bags ended up "on board" of the "wrong ship".

I understand that dock workers are not "employees" of Carnival, but they are hired by Carnival to handle the bags for Carnival. As such, they are Agents for Carnival. If I were a lawyer, I would sue Carnival and the Port of Miami, and let the Defendents work out the liability between themselves.

If Carnival never "owns" the problem, then they have no incentive to keep the problem from happening again and again and again. The Dock worker wants their tip, and could care less if the bags are for the right ship or not. Maybe the passenger bill of rights should be expanded to include luggage handling by AGENTS of the Cruse Line. Carnival can always claim it is the other guy's fault. Let's say a bag is lost when you disembark. Who's fault is it? Carnival's or the Port's? Carnival will claim they gave the bag to the Port, and the Port will claim they never received the bag. How can a passenger prove anything?

Carnival should also put electronic signs everywhere on the Dock letting people know which ship is docked there. Just like you see an Airline's sign everywhere at an airline terminal where you drop off/pick up passengers.

Edited by richmke

An unfortunate situation all around.

Since you're going to pay to go to court, you're going to pay $150/hrs for the attorney, plus court costs/filing fees, etc. to resolve a $500 mistake,,, if I was on the jury, I'd find the passengers at least 50% at fault.

Since you're going to pay to go to court, you're going to pay $150/hrs for the attorney, plus court costs/filing fees, etc. to resolve a $500 mistake,,, if I was on the jury, I'd find the passengers at least 50% at fault.

I'd find the passengers at more fault then that! The dock worker should know what ship he is working the bags for but people should be able to see what ship is where and where they are dropping their bags off at. :eek:

but people should be able to see what ship is where and where they are dropping their bags off at. :eek:

There are no signs that I could see. You could tell which dock you were at, but I never say a sign saying which ship was at that dock.

When we dropped off our bags (I had a rental car), I remembered Dock E from looking it up on the POM site. I never saw a sign that said the Glory was at that dock. I asked 3 persons (2 were directing traffic, and the porter) if this was the Glory. Since I got the same response from all of them, I felt fairly confident.

Only when I returned on the Car Rental Shuttle did I see the electronic sign at the entrance that showed for 1 second which terminal the Glory was docked on.

I definitely feel it is a lack of signage at the dock, and lack of caring by the Porters, that caused the problem.

Wasn't his problem. Table mates problem.

I have to go with it is up to the pax to know they are giving their luggage to the right place. If no signage, then you really need to ask a few more questions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maybe they didn't tip enough.

Reason why I tipped the handler, lol. Anways. The passengers are 100% at fault. Theres be plenty of times I mindlessly gave the wrong directions to someone and realized it later. Why would you leave you luggage a lt dock D, but board dock E? Because they also were not paying attention.

The biggest sign of all is on the ships themselves. Also the Glory and the Dream look different and are different sizes. Isn't there a mid ship sign on the Dream with 10' letters spelling out its name, as well as its name on the bow and stern?

I can understand someone, especially a new cruiser being confused, however, that is a sign that one needs to be more vigilant.

I haven't run across this as a problem because I generally walk my carry on luggage on board myself.

If it makes any difference, my luggage went on a Princess cruise and we were on MSC. Took 2 days to locate the suitcases and of course met up with them upon our return. Passengers donated things to us. Ours drop off was second, but our cases never got back to the bus storage after the 1st drop off. Didn't have any laundry once unpacked at home:D After the fact, it was a great memory we told over and over.:)

Reason why I tipped the handler, lol. Anways. The passengers are 100% at fault. Theres be plenty of times I mindlessly gave the wrong directions to someone and realized it later. Why would you leave you luggage a lt dock D, but board dock E? Because they also were not paying attention.

Haha! Maybe you should stop giving directions... :D

The biggest sign of all is on the ships themselves. Also the Glory and the Dream look different and are different sizes. Isn't there a mid ship sign on the Dream with 10' letters spelling out its name, as well as its name on the bow and stern?

I can understand someone, especially a new cruiser being confused, however, that is a sign that one needs to be more vigilant.

Agreed, this is terrible and would suck but even if there isn't a sign (and there should be), you can look up and see what ship is where. They're pretty big. :rolleyes: Also, as the OP did himself, check the website before you go. If you don't have internet, I'm sure there's a phone number to call. Take responsibility for yourself and show up prepared.

Haha! Maybe you should stop giving directions... :D

Yeah well in NY someone is always asking for directions so you quickly answer. I know the correct directions, but if I'm not paying attention I may mutter something else. My fav was when tourist would ask "Is this train going downtown?" First, how could you miss the arrival announcement, the arrival board that says the train is approaching, and the signs above the platform that says "Downtown". LOL

While I think the port workers should have said something,they might not have heard them right as it can be very noisy and chaotic out there. I made a similar mistake the week before so I agree the signage does need some updating and it is hard to see the ship with the building in the way. Let me explain.

I took Uber from my hotel to the Port. When he asked where I wanted to be dropped off, I told him "Here is fine". Little did I know I told him to stop in front of the wrong ship. It was the Victory instead of the Glory. I didn't realize it until I went to the door to check in and saw the sign. "No problem, it's just next door" I told myself. WRONG! I walked what seemed like forever up and down curbs, dodging forklifts, almost getting run over by busses pulling in. All the while pulling my carry on sized suitcase with tote bag on top. It was a challenge for sure. Finally arrived at the right terminal downright exhausted and sweating profusely. I won't make that mistake again!

Once they suspected a problem, they should have addressed it right then and there. Responsibility ultimately rests with the guest. It's not Carnival's fault they made a mistake.

. . .

I understand that dock workers are not "employees" of Carnival, but they are hired by Carnival to handle the bags for Carnival. As such, they are Agents for Carnival. If I were a lawyer, I would sue Carnival and the Port of Miami, and let the Defendents work out the liability between themselves.

The longshoremen are not hired by Carnival, they are hired by the port. It is not their responsibility to get the bags on the correct ship. It is their responsibility to get the bags that are handed to them on the ship that they are working on. The only people at fault were the passengers. I Have cruised out of Miami many times and it is clearly marked.

Only blame here lies with teh people who can't read signs or see the lettering on the side of the ship where they dropped their luggage off.

We sat in the MDR with a couple that drove down to Miami. Carnival's signage in Port of Miami is very poor. All I saw was one sign on the way in that told you which ship was in which dock. If you missed that scrolling sign, you were SOL.

The couple ended up at Dock D, whereas our ship was at Dock E. They asked the baggage handler if it was the Glory, and the guy said "yes" and took their clearly labeled bags - You know, the tags Carnival gives you that has your ship, sailing date, and Cabin number.

They went to park their car, and when the shuttle dropped them off, they suspected a problem.

Well, the bags ended up on an 8-day cruise on the Breeze, vs a 7-day cruise on the Glory. It took Carnival until Monday for the Breeze to acknowledge that the bags were on the Breeze. Then Carnival told them they would not be able to get their bags until Sunday, when the Breeze returns to Miami.

As far as we know, Carnival never "owned" the problem, and said it was the passenger's fault. The couple did get a few token things like a 20% discount in the ship's store to buy some clothes, free laundry, and a free bottle of wine. I know the Cruise Contract says that Carnival is not responsible for luggage until Carnival has the luggage "on board". Since "on board" is never defined ... well, the bags ended up "on board" of the "wrong ship".

If Carnival never "owns" the problem, then they have no incentive to keep the problem from happening again and again and again. The Dock worker wants their tip, and could care less if the bags are for the right ship or not. Maybe the passenger bill of rights should be expanded to include luggage handling by AGENTS of the Cruse Line. Carnival can always claim it is the other guy's fault. Let's say a bag is lost when you disembark. Who's fault is it? Carnival's or the Port's? Carnival will claim they gave the bag to the Port, and the Port will claim they never received the bag. How can a passenger prove anything?

Carnival should also put electronic signs everywhere on the Dock letting people know which ship is docked there. Just like you see an Airline's sign everywhere at an airline terminal where you drop off/pick up passengers.

What an unfortunate situation for the passengers. I disagree it's Carnival's fault though. The workers that take bags are in no way "agents" of Carnival Cruise Lines. They are union workers that have no affiliation with the cruise lines. They work for the port of Miami and are not "hired by Carnival."

I don't have an opinion as to who is at fault. However, I find it a bit disturbing that you can drop bags with any porter and they will make it on a ship. Someone with bad intentions could do some damage.

Most unfortunate; however, did they not look up to see that where they were dropped off was where the Glory was docked? The pier workers should know what ship it is on. The issue with shipping the bags to port is simple, no airline will fly baggage to another airport if the owner of the luggage is not onboard the plane. Now a courier will, but saying it will be there at 10am the next port day is uhm, well, never guaranteed.

I haven't cruise out of Miami since 2012, so have no idea how the new road or port access is....New Orleans and Galveston are easier.....

Really...someone realizes that they have handed their bags to the wrong drop off team and yet they breezily board the correct ship obviously thinking that someone down the line will discover the mistake and transfer the luggage before the ship's sail. What idiot actual thinks that is how it works. If I noticed it before boarding I wouldn't board until I had my luggage in hand and they had found my misplaced luggage or, realizing my mistake, I'd board anyhow and just "live" in my clothes for 7 days. Since I would have all my valuables and medications and at least one change of clothes in my carry-on it would be no big deal....but then I only bring carry-on so the problem would never exist for me.

I was thinking more of something the could damage the ship or injure someone.

You mean like a pipe bomb or thermal nuclear weapon? I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The Xray scanners would pick that up just as it picks up beer cans, rum bottles, knives and steam irons.

At best, a "small claims" matter (so, no attorney representation). Here in CA, $75 filing fee. From the brief description, the argument is that the Port Authority is the responsible party (I.e., their porters and signs). Of course, if you don't live where you plan/need to file suit (and or "trial by written declaration" is not permitted) you'll have other expenses which, if like any judgement in your favor, you'll still have to try to collect.

For the next time: if there are multiple ships at embarkation, be hyper vigilant and triple check what you're doing with your luggage.

That must have been miserable with none of your own clothes for an entire week, I can't imagine. I'm too much of a control freak and agree ownership is key here.

I stand and watch while they put the orange FTTF tags on my luggage and then each piece of luggage put on the cart. I probably annoy the porters to no end ;). What I don't understand is when they knew they were boarding a different ship that they didn't notify Carnival staff in the terminal. If it were me I would have notified and probably have gone back to the adjacent terminal to deal with it myself. I have seen them pull luggage from the carts on the dock assuming either the passenger had packed their passports or were not boarding for some reason. The port certainly could do a better job with signage but I feel it's my own responsibility to ensure my belongings are going to the right place. I check the destination on my luggage tags at the airport as well.