Bags or no bags when ridding rental car shuttle

cmptrwiz

When we arrive in Miami for our Carnival cruise we will rent a car to get us to our BNB. The next morning should I drop my wife and luggage at the port and then drive back to the airport and catch the shuttle to the POM or have both of us go to the airport and take all of our luggage on the shuttle to the POM?

When we arrive in Miami for our Carnival cruise we will rent a car to get us to our BNB. The next morning should I drop my wife and luggage at the port and then drive back to the airport and catch the shuttle to the POM or have both of us go to the airport and take all of our luggage on the shuttle to the POM?

Should this depend on what time window you have to enter the terminal for boarding?

We are just trying to figure out if it is a big pain to try and put all your luggage on the shuttle with everybody else.

Just did it, and yes, the luggage space fills up quickly. Better to drop your luggage off first.

Also, with your bags in the back, they might get accidentally unloaded with other passengers at an earlier stop.

Note: It does add 15-20 minutes to drop your bags first, and then drive out to the car rental place.

Who are you renting from? We just rented from Budget and they had an office right near the port.

Not sure what other rental places have offices near the pier but it was nice not having to go back to the airport to drop off the car.

Bill

I have a different opinion:

Rental car shuttles are designed for luggage that accompanies the riders. Most of the drivers assist with loading it on and off.

IMHO a few dollars to tip the driver for assisting with your luggage beats a round trip to the port every day of the rest of your life.

Will be doing the MIA to Port of Miami rental car shuttle myself in June, no intention of making a round trip to the port first. My wife, grandson & I will ride the shuttle with our bags and carry ons.

And yes, we have FTTF also (assigned check-in time is irrelevant with FTTF)

We are just trying to figure out if it is a big pain to try and put all your luggage on the shuttle with everybody else.

Not as big a pain as a round trip (with tolls each direction) from MIA to the POM.

Edited by lizardhowson

Have you considered cabs? Unless you plan on driving around a lot on the day of arrival it will be a lot more effective both from a time and a cost perspective.

Who are you renting from? We just rented from Budget and they had an office right near the port.

Not sure what other rental places have offices near the pier but it was nice not having to go back to the airport to drop off the car.

Bill

We are planning on renting from Enterprise. If we don't drop at the airport its a $50 drop fee.

We are planning on renting from Enterprise. If we don't drop at the airport its a $50 drop fee.

What's the $50 drop fee for?

I did a mock booking on enterprises website for 10/14/16 picking up at mia airport and dtopping off at 400 se 2nd ave.

All in for a rav4 was $45.21.:confused:

Bill

What's the $50 drop fee for?

I did a mock booking on enterprises website for 10/14/16 picking up at mia airport and dtopping off at 400 se 2nd ave.

All in for a rav4 was $45.21.:confused:

Bill

I had it backwards. If we pickup at 400 SE 2nd and drop at MIA then there is a $50 drop charge. That would be at the end of our trip.

I had it backwards. If we pickup at 400 SE 2nd and drop at MIA then there is a $50 drop charge. That would be at the end of our trip.

We just did a taxi at he end of our cruise. Flat rate of $27 although the driver tried to tell us it was $35.

Whatever you choose to do have fun planning and have a great vacation.:)

Bill

We just did a taxi at he end of our cruise. Flat rate of $27 although the driver tried to tell us it was $35.

Bill

Thanks. I'm rethinking this. Maybe whe will rent at the airport and the drop at 400 SE 2nd ave and the grab a taxi or Uber for the short ride to the port.

Thanks. I'm rethinking this. Maybe whe will rent at the airport and the drop at 400 SE 2nd ave and the grab a taxi or Uber for the short ride to the port.

hi there

They have shuttles going from the 2nd. ave. location to the port as well. They go back and forth all morning. It usually isn't much of a wait and they will take your whole family.

have a great cruise

Last cruise we were going to rent a car post cruise since we had until 6:30 pm our flight. Once we saw the craziness that is Miamis freeways we opted for a post carnival excursion to the Everglades. This time we are doing post cruise to south beach. I've never seen such narrow lanes and crazy drivers.

hi there

They have shuttles going from the 2nd. ave. location to the port as well. They go back and forth all morning. It usually isn't much of a wait and they will take your whole family.

have a great cruise

Thanks for the info!

Bill

I think this is good advice. Load al, the luggage into a taxi and take us to the car rental at MIA

Edited by cmptrwiz

Last cruise we were going to rent a car post cruise since we had until 6:30 pm our flight. Once we saw the craziness that is Miamis freeways we opted for a post carnival excursion to the Everglades. This time we are doing post cruise to south beach. I've never seen such narrow lanes and crazy drivers.

We are cruising next month and we have a 5:45pm flight back from Miami.. We were looking into doing this to kill time before our flight. Did you do the excursion through Carnival? If so was it enjoyable, boring etc? Approximately how much time does the excursion take from beginning to end ? Any input will help. Thank you!

I've rented from and returned to the Miami airport several times and then taken the shuttle to POM. It's so quick and easy. Those rental car shuttles are designed for luggage. They are the same shuttles that are used when an airport's rental car counters/garages are off-site and passengers have to be transported.