March 2016 update: HAL dry docks, charters and groups

CJcruzer

This isn't HAL-specific, but some of the regulars who subscribe to this thread may be interested to read this article from the BBC News website today: Whatever floats your boat - the unstoppable growth of themed cruises.

And that doesn't even mention the ones that aren't themed but 1/2 to 2/3 of the ship is an organized group that will take over several to many venues on a regular selling itinerary, without advertising they are going to do this to the regular pax also on board.

Yesterday I put the NA on hold for Nov. 20 and I see the Rebel Group has booked 120 cabins on that sailing.

Would a group of that size have much impact? I can't see them using the theater or having much impact on the dining room--we do open seating and are not set on a certain time.

Thank you for keeping this list. It helps to know what to expect.

Does anyone happen to know when Noordam is scheduled to get the suite upgrades?

I'm anxious to know this, too. I just booked a 16-night South Pacific Crossing for April 2018 on Noordam, and I have been shocked by how "colorful" she is. I'm hoping HAL installs the whole suite of new features, including Billboard On Board, Lido Market, Gallery Bar, the digital entertainment system. But I'm really hoping for some new carpeting in some of those public areas.

The CC future dry dock listing says sometime in 2016, so I would think someone must know an approximate date. Thanks for any answers that might be floating around. :)

I'm anxious to know this, too. I just booked a 16-night South Pacific Crossing for April 2018 on Noordam, and I have been shocked by how "colorful" she is. I'm hoping HAL installs the whole suite of new features, including Billboard On Board, Lido Market, Gallery Bar, the digital entertainment system. But I'm really hoping for some new carpeting in some of those public areas.

The CC future dry dock listing says sometime in 2016, so I would think someone must know an approximate date. Thanks for any answers that might be floating around. :)

It looks like there is a 2+ week gap in the Noordam's schedule in late December 2017 so perhaps that's when it will be taken out of service for maintenance? :confused:

It looks like there is a 2+ week gap in the Noordam's schedule in late December 2017 so perhaps that's when it will be taken out of service for maintenance? :confused:

Doesn't it seem unlikely they would take a ship out of commission over the holidays? And, would they really refurbish a ship in Australia/NZ? I have no clue. :confused:

Thanks for the speedy reply. That date seems to be a lot later than what was suggested by CC, but who knows.

Doesn't it seem unlikely they would take a ship out of commission over the holidays? And, would they really refurbish a ship in Australia/NZ? I have no clue. :confused:

You make excellent points. I'm just hoping that the big upgrades arrive before April 2018, so plenty of time to worry. Koningsdam, and the Koningsdam-inspired fleet enhancements, have been so popular that I would think HAL would be motivated to complete them sooner rather than later. Eurodam is done, and Oosterdam goes into dry dock next month, so four more ships to go. Let's get moving, HAL.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Yes it does seem a bit strange on both points but that's the only extended unscheduled time I saw over the next 18-24 months. It has a 15 night Australia/NZ starting on December 6, 2017 (ending in Sydney on December 21) then nothing until January 5, 2018 when it starts another 15 day/27 day NZ/South Australia itinerary. I suppose there could be a charter during that time.

Edited by joepeka

Yesterday I put the NA on hold for Nov. 20 and I see the Rebel Group has booked 120 cabins on that sailing.

Would a group of that size have much impact? I can't see them using the theater or having much impact on the dining room--we do open seating and are not set on a certain time.

Thank you for keeping this list. It helps to know what to expect.

I am also booked on the Nov. 20 Thanksgiving cruise on the NA. Just checked their website and they are a politically conservative group based out of Canada. I would estimate that 120 cabins would mean roughly 240 people. I'm hoping that won't have much of an impact on a ship of 2000+ people. As long as they don't bother me then it's all good!

Helen

• 3 weeks later...
One week no meat available!!

I just spoke to a lady from vegan cruise planners..... I am trying to fix my "boo boos" on the list LOL...

I was advised that originally they had wanted to book the Oct 29th Mexican cruise on the Westerdam (I incorrectly had this as a charter, and also Oct 20, instead of Oct 29) - but they were informed by HAL that the ship is CHARTERED OUT. I will repost the list with updated information, but I do not know (as yet) who is chartering the ship.

So they are currently booked AS A GROUP, for October 30-November 09, 2016 on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise.

Their group has approximately 120 registered thus far, but they are maxing signup to 200. They have their own vegan menus planned and arranged for, along with some demonstrations for their group by their own guest chef.

Hope this information helps.

Carol