Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 edition

While it is possible to head for Rosenborg first you will have a tight schedule.

At best you will have to leave around 10:30 and 10:40 in order to be at the pick up point at 11:00 and I´m guessing you need to be there 5 minutes before or so.

But they open at 09:00 and 90 minutes should be enough.

Rejseplanen.dk says that it takes 13 minutes from you walk from Rosenborg to Nørreport, taking the train to the central station and walk to Baresso.

The pick up point is here

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Bernstorffsgade+4,+1577+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.673935,12.5626173,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4652530d06675e49:0x73e750a12ae0efb1!8m2!3d55.673932!4d12.564806

A canal tour would be a nice relaxing trip after the walk.

Where does the trip end ?

While it is possible to head for Rosenborg first you will have a tight schedule.

At best you will have to leave around 10:30 and 10:40 in order to be at the pick up point at 11:00 and I´m guessing you need to be there 5 minutes before or so.

But they open at 09:00 and 90 minutes should be enough.

Rejseplanen.dk says that it takes 13 minutes from you walk from Rosenborg to Nørreport, taking the train to the central station and walk to Baresso.

The pick up point is here

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Bernstorffsgade+4,+1577+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.673935,12.5626173,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4652530d06675e49:0x73e750a12ae0efb1!8m2!3d55.673932!4d12.564806

A canal tour would be a nice relaxing trip after the walk.

Where does the trip end ?

I am so sorry - our meeting point is at the Dragon Fountain at Town Hall square. Honestly I don't know where we will end. I am assuming at the same point?

If the scehdule is too tight to go to Rosenborg first thing in the morning, then Rosenborg after the walking tour then the canal tour after to rest our feet.

Yes the Canal tour would really be nice then a nice restaurant after that. Wonderful way to end your last day in Copenhagen before we go to the port for our cruise the next day.

We won't be able to see Amalienborg but I thought Rosenborg is a much better choice. My group would be at this point may have too much castle tours since we are going to Kronborg and Federicksborg already.

Danish Viking-

I have been following your posts for several years. Thank you for all your great advice. This is the first question I have asked. This will be our third time in Copenhagen and we are thinking of going to the National Museum this time. We dock at Langelinie and wonder about how much a taxi would cost to get from there to the museum? We are thinking of doing the museum first and then walking back to Langelinie, enjoying the sights along the way. If it is raining then the museum would definitely be the thing to do.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

The instructions to take bus 25 to Oceankaj including photos are great. It seems to be easier to find bus 25 from Norreport. Please let me know the best way to get from Nybro Apartments - on Nybrogarde next to Fredericksholmskanal - to Norreport.

Thank you.

I am so sorry - our meeting point is at the Dragon Fountain at Town Hall square. Honestly I don't know where we will end. I am assuming at the same point?

If the scehdule is too tight to go to Rosenborg first thing in the morning, then Rosenborg after the walking tour then the canal tour after to rest our feet.

Yes the Canal tour would really be nice then a nice restaurant after that. Wonderful way to end your last day in Copenhagen before we go to the port for our cruise the next day.

We won't be able to see Amalienborg but I thought Rosenborg is a much better choice. My group would be at this point may have too much castle tours since we are going to Kronborg and Federicksborg already.

The Town hall square is only a few minutes away from the central station so its still duable.

Danish Viking-

I have been following your posts for several years. Thank you for all your great advice. This is the first question I have asked. This will be our third time in Copenhagen and we are thinking of going to the National Museum this time. We dock at Langelinie and wonder about how much a taxi would cost to get from there to the museum? We are thinking of doing the museum first and then walking back to Langelinie, enjoying the sights along the way. If it is raining then the museum would definitely be the thing to do.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

It will probably cost around 150-200 kroner but bus 26 will take you directly from Langeliniekaj at the Indiakaj bus stop to the Nationalmuseet, Stormbroen busstop and as the name indicates its just next to the National Museum.

Price for that bus is only 24.

The instructions to take bus 25 to Oceankaj including photos are great. It seems to be easier to find bus 25 from Norreport. Please let me know the best way to get from Nybro Apartments - on Nybrogarde next to Fredericksholmskanal - to Norreport.

Thank you.

Actually it would be easier to take bus 26 from across the channel to Østerport and take bus 25 or 27 from there.

Remember that bus 26 both stop at Østerport station where bus 25 departs from and Østerport station, Sløjfen where bus 27 departs from.

Hi, Danish Viking,

Thank you for all the great information. You were simply invaluable last year before our Baltic Cruise! We visited a lot of the must-see's in Copenhagen then, based on your recommendations, so thank you again.

We find ourselves unexpectedly returning for to Copenhagen for 2 nights next month. We're staying in Nyhavn, any suggestions for a decent restaurant nearby for our first night? I think we'll be pretty tired from the flight, so "nearby" is a probably priority.

On our one-full-day in Copenhagen, we hope to see some of the sites we didn't see last year. Plans are as follows: Over to Christianshavn to see the Church of our Savior*, then back for lunch at Ida Davidsens :D, then to Rosenborg Castle and finally to the Round Tower and probably dinner back in the Nyhavn area. *We were contemplating walking up to Kongens Nytorv and taking the Metro to Christianshavn (1 stop!), but then I read about the new "Kissing Bridge" from Nyhavn to Christianshavn......but I haven't found any articles saying it's fully open for pedestrians yet, and none of the map programs (google maps, mapquest) show it. Do you happen to know if the bridge is open and if that's a viable alternative to the Metro (and more in the correct direction as well)?

Thanks very much in advance!

The "kissing" bridge aka inderhavnsbroen (inner harbour bridge) has been delayed a few times already but It should open in June but I don´t promise anything :D

For places to eat near Nyhavn I will suggest this.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/pastis-fishmarket-gdk549986

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/rebel-gdk436347

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/pluto-gdk713402

The "kissing" bridge aka inderhavnsbroen (inner harbour bridge) has been delayed a few times already but It should open in June but I don´t promise anything :D

For places to eat near Nyhavn I will suggest this.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/pastis-fishmarket-gdk549986

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/rebel-gdk436347

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/pluto-gdk713402

Thanks so much, DV!

Dear Danish Viking,

Is the metro accessible from the airport? Can luggage be carry on to the Metro? I saw instruction from earlier link seem like it only show instruction from airport to the bus station and train but not the Metro.

Do you have instruction on how to go to the Metro from the airport?

Thank you.

LS

Thank you, Danish Viking.

Looking at the schedules for buses 25 and 27, maybe bus 25 leaves more often than 27 from Osterport. From your directions, after arriving at Osterport on bus 26, you walk up to the ticket hall, then pass Irma supermarket and the sports store, and cross the street for the bus 25 stop. Is that right? Or were the directions for arriving by train rather than bus 26? I hope there will be room on the two buses for 6 people and 8 suitcases plus backpacks?

Dear Danish Viking,

Is the metro accessible from the airport? Can luggage be carry on to the Metro? I saw instruction from earlier link seem like it only show instruction from airport to the bus station and train but not the Metro.

Thank you.

LS

The train station at the airport is one level down from terminal 3 and the metro is just one level up instead.

The main difference is that the train both stop at Nørreport and Østerport and the metro only stops at Nørreport.

Dear Danish Viking,

Thank you.

LS

The M2 Metro runs from the Airport to many different stations. If you are trying to get to the Oceankaj cruise port from the airport, you would get off at the Norreport station and take the bus. If you are going to a hotel, you might get off at a different station. (E.g., we were staying at a hotel near Nyhavn for a night before our cruise started and we got off the M2 Metro at the Kongens Nytorv station.) Since you are from Falls Church, you must be familiar with the DC Metro system. The Copenhagen system is similar (but better). This Trip Planner feature for the Copenhagen transit system was helpful to us in planning our routes: http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en

There is plenty of room for your luggage on the Metro.

Danish Viking has given you info on how to find Metro at the airport, but note that there is good signage and you can ask anyone for directions as they speak English.

Edited by GradUT

Hi Danish Viking

We are arriving in Copenhagen on Sunday, May 15 prior to our cruise on May 17, so we have a full day in Copenhagen on Monday, May 16.

We are staying at the Best Western City Centre, near Nuhavn.

I have a tentative itinerary, if you would be so kind to comment on.

In the morning, we plan to walk over to Nyhavn to catch a boat tour first thing. We will have a Copenhagen Card.

After the boat tour, we are interested in Amaliensborg Castle, Rosenborg Castle and Christiansborg Castle as well as a walk down the Stroget and then an evening visit to Tivoli Gardens. If this is too much, we would drop the Amaliensborg Castle.

We will have part of the day on our return to Copenhagen on Sunday, May 29 and plan to visit the National Museum and St. Saviour, Church.

For our visit on Monday, it looks pretty walkable except for Amaliensborg to Rosenborg. I wonder if you could provide public transit info for that route as well as Rosenberg to the Stroget and Tivoli Gardens back to our hotel.

Many thanks!

JJ MacLellan

Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Danish Viking

We are arriving in Copenhagen on Sunday, May 15 prior to our cruise on May 17, so we have a full day in Copenhagen on Monday, May 16.

We are staying at the Best Western City Centre, near Nuhavn.

I have a tentative itinerary, if you would be so kind to comment on.

In the morning, we plan to walk over to Nyhavn to catch a boat tour first thing. We will have a Copenhagen Card.

After the boat tour, we are interested in Amaliensborg Castle, Rosenborg Castle and Christiansborg Castle as well as a walk down the Stroget and then an evening visit to Tivoli Gardens. If this is too much, we would drop the Amaliensborg Castle.

We will have part of the day on our return to Copenhagen on Sunday, May 29 and plan to visit the National Museum and St. Saviour, Church.

For our visit on Monday, it looks pretty walkable except for Amaliensborg to Rosenborg. I wonder if you could provide public transit info for that route as well as Rosenberg to the Stroget and Tivoli Gardens back to our hotel.

Many thanks!

JJ MacLellan

Nova Scotia, Canada

Sure I will help you

One important note

The free canal tour starts from Gammel Strand instead of Nyhavn.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Best+Western+Hotel+City,+Peder+Skrams+Gade+24,+1054+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/Ved+Stranden,+K%C3%B8benhavn+K/Christiansborg+Slotsplads,+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6773368,12.5832271,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533d0a007a65:0x2442f2ff961158d7!2m2!1d12.5891063!2d55.6773694!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525316f1ccf9f7:0x8d5f2347baddc096!2m2!1d12.5816055!2d55.6772124!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525316ed5e13e1:0x863773a047a49059!2m2!1d12.5815467!2d55.6766824!3e2

So from your hotel to the canal tour and then Christiansborg

Then you take bus 1A from Christiansborg towards Hellerup or Klampenborg and get off at Amalienborg (Bredgade)

The bus runs every 7th minute.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Amalienborg,+Amalienborg+Slotsplads+5,+1257+K%C3%B8benhavn/Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Rundetaarn,+K%C3%B8bmagergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/Storkespringvandet,+Amagertorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn/R%C3%A5dhuspladsen,+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6814225,12.5721647,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525322363e0673:0x5cf17fab9d15553f!2m2!1d12.5930201!2d55.6840588!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531b429e531d:0x52359c3345281b3c!2m2!1d12.5772687!2d55.6858274!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531083fb9ba1:0xe73a9f6da33ea437!2m2!1d12.57573!2d55.681347!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525310d2ccbc5b:0xc16b315bb9592e9!2m2!1d12.579573!2d55.6788356!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530dfbdd1e99:0x2717b01caaedfd10!2m2!1d12.5691284!2d55.6759142!3e2

My suggested walking route also taking you to Rundetaarn (the round tower) Storkespringvandet and Strøget.

From Tivoli you can take bus 9A towards Operaen, Holmen and get off at Børsen, Then you have to walk 600 meters to your hotel.

Bus 66 towards Holmens Kirke, just take it to the end and you can walk 450 meters to your hotel.

Or bus 1A towards Hellerup or Klampenborg and get off at Holmens Kirke, from here you walk 450 meters to your hotel.

But bus 1A stops at the Tietgenbroen bus stop at the central station so its a little bit further away from the tivoli entrance.

The European Hematology Association has a conference from the 9th to the 12th with 8.000 in attendance.

Also in the days before and after the 9th there is 10 cruise ships in port, I don't know how many that are turen around calls but even if its just 5 ships that is still alt of passengers wanting a hotel room :-)

Thank you very much. That looks really good.

Do you think it is do-able in one day?

I think it is, Tivoli is open until at least 23:00 so its perfekt that Tivoli is in the end.

Lets say that you take the first canal tour around 09:00 then you can visit Christiansborg around 10:15.

The bus trip takes around 5-10 minutes so it should be possible to see the changing of the guard at noon at Amalienborg.

Decending on how long time you spend at Amalienborg you should be at Rosenborg at 13:30-14:00'ish.

Then there should be time for a nice stroll along Strøget and maybe a visit to the round tower.

You will be at Tivoli around 17:00-18:00 so you can start in Tivoli with a nice dinner.