Oasis suicidal crew member

Article in local paper Sun-Sentinel about suicidal crew member threatening to jump. Port Chaplin on scene to help person. Ship was evacuated.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-oasis-of-seas-jumper-20160312-story.html

Where did you get Oasis. No mention of ship in the article, plus I don't think that it's Oasis as she does not do 5 day cruises.

Where did you get Oasis. No mention of ship in the article, plus I don't think that it's Oasis as she does not do 5 day cruises.

Uuummm.....first paragraph in red.

Edited by brenderlou

It does appear this event delayed disembarkation. My friend left the ship at 10:15 am but she likes to be the last off the ship

She said about 9:45 am this morning the Captains voice came over to announce the Oscar. She did see many police cars and the crew member was on the last lifeboat on the starboard side.

I hope everything is ok!

I noticed on the webcam they have the view focused on Oasis and they have the sound turned off, I'm guessing this might be why?

The sound on the webcam was on until 9:00(PST), and when I came back an hour later it was off. Up until I left you could hear communication between the ship and port officials. They never mentioned the name of the ship in any communications. At 9:00(ish) the hostage negotiator was at the ship trying to talk to the crew member.

The crew member has been safely transported to the hospital. They were able to prevent the suicide.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Oasis-of-the-Sea-Crew-Member-Threatened-to-Jump-Off-Ship-371880572.html

Port Everglades officials say, a crew member of Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas threatened to jump off the ship Saturday morning.

According to police, an adult male in his late 30's began threatening to jump from the railing of the cruise ship around 10 a.m.

Broward Sheriff's Office hostage negotiators communicated with the man for several hours and were able to get close enough to prevent the man from jumping.

The man has been transported to Broward Health Medical Center.

The Oasis of the Sea is scheduled to depart Port Everglades on a 5-day cruise at 5 p.m.

Unfortunate situation but glad to hear it concluded without loss of life.

Royal Caribbean sure seems to be in the news a lot lately -- and often hasn't been good publicity, either (obviously not always something they had direct control over, such as the gentleman aboard Navigator and this most recent incident, but in the news nonetheless).

I wonder if this has affected the public's perecption of RCI. Their stock price has certainly tumbled by a very significant percentage since the start of 2016.

Does anyone know if sailaway time has been delayed? Or what time it's happening today? I have a friend and her group of 8 people that are on their way but have been delayed due to airline issue. She just landed in Ft Lauderdale about 3:40 and Royal Caribbean told them they had to be there by 4pm. Hoping they make it!!

Does anyone know if sailaway time has been delayed? Or what time it's happening today? I have a friend and her group of 8 people that are on their way but have been delayed due to airline issue. She just landed in Ft Lauderdale about 3:40 and Royal Caribbean told them they had to be there by 4pm. Hoping they make it!!

On the Port Schedule Oasis is showing as departing at 5 pm a half hour later than her usual 4:30 pm Could be because it is a charter sailing

https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webclient/public/publicmovements.aspx

My friend and her group made it! But just barely!!! So happy for them! That would be an awful feeling to miss a ship!

i hope your friends smartened up after this.. And fly in the day before next time.