Oasis suicidal crew member

Unfortunate situation but glad to hear it concluded without loss of life.

Royal Caribbean sure seems to be in the news a lot lately -- and often hasn't been good publicity, either (obviously not always something they had direct control over, such as the gentleman aboard Navigator and this most recent incident, but in the news nonetheless).

I wonder if this has affected the public's perecption of RCI. Their stock price has certainly tumbled by a very significant percentage since the start of 2016.

The stock has been affected like the rest of the market over the last few months, but most important was Fein's forward looking economic outlook for RCL.

I'm glad he is getting the help he needs, I wished we all could send him cards and tell him we are part of the cruise critic group and that he matters and we care about him even though we don't know him personally and appreciate all that he as well as the staff does for us , but I don't know an address, etc. any thoughts :rolleyes:

My son is a senior and one kid in the 10th grade killed himself and one senior guy tried to kill himself, so a group of friends went to the hospital or facility to tell him He Mattered. Knowing people care makes a big impact.

No one "fell" of any ships. Not possible. Yes, a man jumped off navigator, but no one "fell". Sounds just like the media mis-representing things.

+1 it is impossible to "fall" off any of these ships... jump, yes, commit suicide, yes. "fall off"... not possible..

I feel bad for anyone who feels that things are so bad that they would want to take their own lives.

We (us cruisers) need to remember that these crew members work long, hard hours pretty much 7 days a week to make our trips enjoyable. A lot of them are thousands of miles away from their loved ones, working to support their families back home. Our room attendant last year on the Radiance was from the Philippines - she had 2 children she was working to support back home, and I could tell she missed them terribly when we talked about it.

Anyways, when they do something nice for you, be sure to say thanks and a smile, and maybe give them a tip!

P.S. - The lady's name was Virna, I don't know if she's still with RCL, but she was top-notch! If she's still aboard and is your room attendant, you've got a great one!

Unfortunate situation but glad to hear it concluded without loss of life.

Royal Caribbean sure seems to be in the news a lot lately -- and often hasn't been good publicity, either (obviously not always something they had direct control over, such as the gentleman aboard Navigator and this most recent incident, but in the news nonetheless).

I wonder if this has affected the public's perecption of RCI. Their stock price has certainly tumbled by a very significant percentage since the start of 2016.

It's just like Carnival several years ago. Every time you turn around, they are in the news in a negative way :o. This couldn't have been prevented but geez, RC needs a break

I feel bad for anyone who feels that things are so bad that they would want to take their own lives.

We (us cruisers) need to remember that these crew members work long, hard hours pretty much 7 days a week to make our trips enjoyable. A lot of them are thousands of miles away from their loved ones, working to support their families back home. Our room attendant last year on the Radiance was from the Philippines - she had 2 children she was working to support back home, and I could tell she missed them terribly when we talked about it.

Anyways, when they do something nice for you, be sure to say thanks and a smile, and maybe give them a tip!

P.S. - The lady's name was Virna, I don't know if she's still with RCL, but she was top-notch! If she's still aboard and is your room attendant, you've got a great one!

Not just cruise-ship crews, when I was at sea a sister ship lost a cook, he just disappeared one night in the Gulf of Alaska, no one knew if he jumped or fell (you could fall off those things). As for maritime separation, look no further than some USN folks, particularly submariners.

Edited by pspercy

As for maritime separation, look no further than some USN folks, particularly submariners.

Totally agree 100%. I worked 11 years as an electrical engineer working for the Naval Air Systems Command, spent some time aboard ships, have nothing but admiration & respect for those sailors & Marines!

+1 it is impossible to "fall" off any of these ships... jump, yes, commit suicide, yes. "fall off"... not possible..

Hmm...let's see.....what if the crew member that closes the main deck gates that are used to embark (and turn into a railing) but doesn't secure them properly. During the cruise someone leans on them heavily enough to open them. Would that not be a fall?:cool:

Hmm...let's see.....what if the crew member that closes the main deck gates that are used to embark (and turn into a railing) but doesn't secure them properly. During the cruise someone leans on them heavily enough to open them. Would that not be a fall?:cool:

Well if that Person would lean on them heavily enough from the outside to open them - Yes that would be a fall onto the ship;)

To prevent exactly such a Scenario those gates open towards the ship, so you can´t fall if they are not secured.

I'm glad he is getting the help he needs, I wished we all could send him cards and tell him we are part of the cruise critic group and that he matters and we care about him even though we don't know him personally and appreciate all that he as well as the staff does for us , but I don't know an address, etc. any thoughts :rolleyes:

My son is a senior and one kid in the 10th grade killed himself and one senior guy tried to kill himself, so a group of friends went to the hospital or facility to tell him He Mattered. Knowing people care makes a big impact.

Hollon,

This is a beautiful thought and gesture. Unfortunately, when someone is in that "dark place," even the people they love most cannot penetrate that darkness. Depression is an illness just like any other. It requires proper treatment including a complete medical evaluation, talk therapy and medication. Sometimes hospitalization and other, more advanced, treatments are required.

I have seen this darkness, and feel fortunate to be here talking about it today. In my case, there were a number of hormones and chemicals that were either not being produced, or out of balance. As soon as they were corrected, the "old me" returned. As a result of this experience, I now sit on the Wisconsin Governor's Advisory Council on Mental Health, am an award-winning author and professional speaker. I am one of the lucky ones.

I hope that this individual remains hospitalized as long as he/she needs to be, and then continues with treatment after being released. My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone struggling with illness and their loved ones.

Edited by payitforward

[quote name='payitforward']Hollon,
This is a beautiful thought and gesture. Unfortunately, when someone is in that "dark place," even the people they love most cannot penetrate that darkness. Depression is an illness just like any other. It requires proper treatment including a complete medical evaluation, talk therapy and medication. Sometimes hospitalization and other, more advanced, treatments are required.

I have seen this darkness, and feel fortunate to be here talking about it today. In my case, there were a number of hormones and chemicals that were either not being produced, or out of balance. As soon as they were corrected, the "old me" returned. As a result of this experience, I now sit on the Wisconsin Governor's Advisory Council on Mental Health, am an award-winning author and professional speaker. I am one of the lucky ones.

I hope that this individual remains hospitalized as long as he/she needs to be, and then continues with treatment after being released. My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone struggling with illness and their loved ones.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you, I'm glad you're helping others :)