Washington DC to Singapore

Bowie MeMe

2017 cruise. I would like to go to Singapore from DC area and break up the long flight with one or two stops. Where are good places to fly stay a few days and then continue the journey. Have been to NZ, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan, and China within last 5 years so probably not there. I can go from East coast or West Coast . Creative Stopovers Please. Thank You.

Remember...unless your ticket provides for free "stopovers" (and that is a term of art that means something very specific and different than "connection"), you will be "breaking the fare" and will no longer have a through IAD-SIN fare basis. Say, just for example, you did this break in London. You would have an IAD-LHR ticket (and price) added to a LHR-SIN ticket (and price). This can often be quite substantial.

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that Turkish allows for a free stopover in IST. You may also check on:

Finnair at HEL

JAL at HRT and KIX

Cathay at HKG

Emirates at DXB

Etihad at Abu Dhabi

Those are ones that have offered free or low-cost stopovers in the past and may do so now.

We flew from Jacksonville, FLA to Singapore, then returning from Dubai on Air France. We had a nice day and a half stopover in CDG Paris on the way over.

We were on some Delta flights as well. Got sky miles going on AF and Delta.

When I did the research, Air France had the best prices on Kayak. Got the stopover for about $100 pp. We took the train out to see Versailles while in Paris. Stayed at a hotel next to the airport.

Remember...unless your ticket provides for free "stopovers" (and that is a term of art that means something very specific and different than "connection"), you will be "breaking the fare" and will no longer have a through IAD-SIN fare basis. Say, just for example, you did this break in London. You would have an IAD-LHR ticket (and price) added to a LHR-SIN ticket (and price). This can often be quite substantial.
Just to add that there is a third category in addition to "free stopover" and getting a ticket that is two fares combined end-on-end to make an expensive total:

Some fares won't allow free stopovers but will allow stopovers for a modest charge (eg USD 100). If such a fare allows you to stop somewhere interesting, it may well be worth paying; chasing the lowest possible fare often isn't the best strategy for finding the best value.

However, such a charge would probably be invisible to most people pricing tickets, as it would already be added in to the total cost of the ticket.

Adding a stopover can also add additional taxes, fees and charges to the cost of the overall trip, as these are sometimes higher if you stopover at the intermediate point rather than connecting immediately.

In any event, I can see IAD-SIN fares that allow free stopovers in London, so I wouldn't rule out this possibility (or the possibility of routing via other European points) at the outset. But stopping over in London is a demonstration of the effect of higher TFC as there will in particular be the UK's departure tax to pay, which is something like $100 per person if departing the UK on a long-haul flight, but is not payable if you are only connecting in London.

Singapore Airlines has a little-known in-house round-the-world (RTW) ticket that has a base fare in the US of $2266 in economy and $5299 in business class. You can only use Singapore Airlines flights and are limited to only a few stopovers, but it might be of interest.

Singapore flies from JFK to Frankfurt, to Moscow from Houston, to Seoul and Hong Kong from San Francisco and to Tokyo from LAX. (Obviously they fly to Singapore from all of the above, but no longer fly any USA-Singapore nonstops.) The ticket doesn't include domestic US flights (e.g. from SFO or LAX to the east coast) so you'd have to make your own way.

You could fly, for example, from JFK to Frankfurt, travel by surface (or separate flight) to, say, Rome, then Rome to Singapore; then after the cruise fly from Singapore to Hong Kong for a second stopover, then to SFO and home. Or go the other way, same idea.

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that Turkish allows for a free stopover in IST. You may also check on:

Finnair at HEL

JAL at HRT and KIX

Cathay at HKG

Emirates at DXB

Etihad at Abu Dhabi

Wouldn't that be NRT or HND on JAL? ;)

Wouldn't that be NRT or HND on JAL? ;)
NRT is correct. By the time I noticed that I missed the "N" key and hit "H" by mistake, it was past the editing deadline. Not sure about HND, given few USA flights there. And KIX is a possible as well, avoiding Tokyo entirely.

Still too early to buy tickets (April 2017) but getting the thinking done so perhaps can get some award tickets.

We now are considering going through the middle east to Singapore -- with a 3-5 day break in Sri Lanka since we have never been there. Listings in both 1000 places and UNESCO sites so hubby will add to his lists:rolleyes: (always a quest!). I see possible way to go is non-stop from Washington DC to Doha (Qatar),Dubai(Emirates) and Abu Dhabi (Ethiad). Layover possible so next day fly to Colombo for a few days and then non-stop to Singapore or one stop in Kuala Lumpor before Singapore (many more cheaper flights) Any of these airlines would get us back to Dulles non-stop or one stop from Abu Dhabi cruise end.

Any advice on Sri Lanka? Worth the effort? Fairly cheap but where to stay?

Any preference of middle eastern airlines -- price for Ethiad with Colombo priced out for Feb. 2017 was in the range of $1400 per person economy.

Any of these airlines have economy plus worth considering?

Any way to get to the front of the plane "cheaply"? (Always dreaming but we go at a lower level more often and those are the facts!)

What are the chances of using award miles for these airlines? Have the major US airlines loyalty program and willing to open credit card accounts/switch as have the last 2 years. Strategies for award travel?

Thanks to you regulars you have taught me enough about air travel that I am usually pleased with the tickets I choose AND I at least have reasons for scheduling/selecting the flights that I do. I appreciate the lessons.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Still too early to buy tickets (April 2017) but getting the thinking done so perhaps can get some award tickets.

We now are considering going through the middle east to Singapore -- with a 3-5 day break in Sri Lanka since we have never been there. Listings in both 1000 places and UNESCO sites so hubby will add to his lists:rolleyes: (always a quest!). I see possible way to go is non-stop from Washington DC to Doha (Qatar),Dubai(Emirates) and Abu Dhabi (Ethiad). Layover possible so next day fly to Colombo for a few days and then non-stop to Singapore or one stop in Kuala Lumpor before Singapore (many more cheaper flights) Any of these airlines would get us back to Dulles non-stop or one stop from Abu Dhabi cruise end.

Any advice on Sri Lanka? Worth the effort? Fairly cheap but where to stay?

Any preference of middle eastern airlines -- price for Ethiad with Colombo priced out for Feb. 2017 was in the range of $1400 per person economy.

Any of these airlines have economy plus worth considering?

Any way to get to the front of the plane "cheaply"? (Always dreaming but we go at a lower level more often and those are the facts!)

What are the chances of using award miles for these airlines? Have the major US airlines loyalty program and willing to open credit card accounts/switch as have the last 2 years. Strategies for award travel?

Thanks to you regulars you have taught me enough about air travel that I am usually pleased with the tickets I choose AND I at least have reasons for scheduling/selecting the flights that I do. I appreciate the lessons.

My wife and I went to Sri Lanka some 25[?] years ago - certainly before the days of the internet and forums such as these - and in retrospect it was probably one of the best holidays we have ever had.

We had our own car and driver [much more flexible than a bus tour] and in the space of a week covered most of the highlights of the Southern part of the island. For obvious reasons we did not go to the North, and decided it would be prudent to avoid Colombo. Amongst the places we visited were Sigiriya, Kandy and the Elephant Orphange in Pinnawala. We also visited the hills and the tea-plantations, staying at one of the old colonial hotels.

You could just relax by the beach if you wanted, but it would be a shame to miss this fantastic country and the wonderful people.

Before you go, make sure you brush up on your knowledge of cricket [when we were there Sri Lanka won the limited over World Cup].

I hope you like spicy food.

Enjoy!

My friend is flying next week out of IAD to Doha, then Maldives and then on to Singapore. and finally on to Hong Kong. Maybe something like that would work for you too! She did it all on miles but you should start looking early.

Edited by Valley Girl of VA

Thanks Valley of Va. (hope to be in your area in the next week or so -- 1yo granddaughter and 7 year old grandson in Charlottesville and we like to spend a day up in the hills!)

Love this part of the planning-- all is possible. No problems in the way. Dream away! Checking out Sri Lanka, Kuala Lumpor, Seoul, Male maybe. Not seeing a ton of points possibility. United is not heavy in the area and that is where I have been doing most -- want USA economy plus -- a little better than economy but not real expensive compared to BC and FC. Please let me know if anyone hears of points sale -- Enough variations possible should be able to get something. Especially for one way.

Thanks Valley of Va. (hope to be in your area in the next week or so -- 1yo granddaughter and 7 year old grandson in Charlottesville and we like to spend a day up in the hills!)

Love this part of the planning-- all is possible. No problems in the way. Dream away! Checking out Sri Lanka, Kuala Lumpor, Seoul, Male maybe. Not seeing a ton of points possibility. United is not heavy in the area and that is where I have been doing most -- want USA economy plus -- a little better than economy but not real expensive compared to BC and FC. Please let me know if anyone hears of points sale -- Enough variations possible should be able to get something. Especially for one way.

Don't forget that Asian carriers such as Cathay, Singapore etc are, IMHO far ahead of most European and US airlines in terms of comfort and service. If I could fly Singapore Airlines for the rest of my life, even in economy, I would be a happy bunny!

When we flew to Singapore, we flew using Mileage Plys points on Singapore Airlines. That airline, to date, has been the best experience we ever had. I would not hesitate to recommend them. They obviously go to Seoul and then we took Singapore Air to Singapore though I'm sure Asiana would also go to Singapore. United may not show it but you can hold on expert flyer and check what the availability is.

Cathay Pacific has excellent fares in their new premium economy product (lots of very positive reviews) from New York and Chicago to Singapore, with a plane change - or stopover - in Hong Kong, e.g. $2200 round trip from JFK or Newark, $2280 from Chicago.

After your cruise you could fly back from Abu Dhabi to Singapore via Colombo for $630 in business class on Sri Lanka Airlines (also a Oneworld member, so excellent mileage earning if you have AA mileage accounts.) Or you could burn some miles for a one-way flight and save the $630. Might be of interest.

Edited by Gardyloo

Washington DC (possible Philly or NYC within 2 hours) and all of these have non-stop in the $1,200 -400 range for economy (using the date Jan 18) The routes are East Coast airport to Middle East hub to Singapore/Shanghai/KUL or stopover in Colombo Sri Lanka. Return is Abu Dhabi to Washington possibly New York City. BC is out of my range at about $6,500 pp roundtrip. I have never booked with Eithiad or Emirates or Qatar. Probably would do a stop over in Dubai or Doho on the way or for flight out so has anyone bought a stopover package from these airlines. Thanks for your help.

Yes, fly Singapore Airlines, better still in Business Class. Sorry, my shameless plug for my national carrier.

This was a flight from London Heathrow back to Singapore late last year on an Airbus A380. Part 1.

[YOUTUBE]WIGI7r11mGA[/YOUTUBE]

And here is part 2.

[YOUTUBE]Yq_Uxz_BG74[/YOUTUBE]

And Business Class - London Heathrow to Singapore.

[YOUTUBE]UCSs8iQ3jOE[/YOUTUBE]