First cruise photography question

Jeff1192

I am going on my first cruise (eastern Caribbean) next month. I have a good quality waterproof point and shoot that I'm bringing but I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring my DSLR as well. With the excursions we have booked I wouldn't be bringing it on the excursions it would be purely for on the boat. Is it worth bringin it or wil it just become something I'm lugging around for nothing?

Thanks

Jef

Jef, if you like to take photos then I would take it for photos on the ship and should there be any ports you are doing on your own. After all, it's your first cruise so you might want to get a lot of photos on board the ship, but like most things it is a personal choice.

Keith

I am going on my first cruise (eastern Caribbean) next month. I have a good quality waterproof point and shoot that I'm bringing but I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring my DSLR as well. With the excursions we have booked I wouldn't be bringing it on the excursions it would be purely for on the boat. Is it worth bringin it or wil it just become something I'm lugging around for nothing?

Thanks

Jef

I always bring the DSLR on the cruise, but don't take it on excursions where I'm not comfortable leaving it, such as snorkeling excursions.

Thanks

Jef

I always bring at least two cameras and sometimes three. The told I always bring is the DSLR and what I call my travel P&S (which means it fits in a breast pocket). The third camera I bring is a waterproof camera when I will be taking pictures in the water.

Most of my pictures onboard the ship are taken with my DSLR. Sometimes I will bring if off the ship with me. Most of the pictures taken off the ship are taken with my travel P&S. All the pictures taken underwater are taken with the waterproof camera.

So, why do I take the cameras that I do? Well, the waterproof camera is easy, it is the only one that works in the water. The travel P&S is because I don't want to carry a heavy DSLR around on my excursions. The DSLR, well I have it so I can take good high quality photographs. I can't do that if the camera is at home.

Is Cuizer2 in my mind? On a trip I also always take two cameras and sometimes three.

My "always-with-me" camera is a Sony RX100 III, and although it's not cheap for a P&S it does have excellent image quality and is superb for low-light photography. I've been taking photographs for 43 years and the little Sony is perhaps the best "gotta-have-it-with-me" camera I've owned. It's easy to use but it took me several months to truly master. Some of the "scene" modes for low-light photography are trivial to use for snapshots but if used correctly can produce really excellent photographs.

My wife always has her Canon D30 with her; very robust, good image quality and great if it rains or of we're snorkelling.

And sometimes my dSLR, with 17-40, 24-85 and 70-200 lenses (with 1.4x) and it doesn't usually leave the ship as I like to travel light when I'm out-and-about. There are exceptions...

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

Another two camera guy. My DSLR goes off ship and my P&S pocket camera is my "dinner" camera or for other places the DSLR would be too big.

Last cruise the DSLR wore a rain bag while I was taking photo's of Quebec City in the rain. A bit of a challenge with rain and heavy overcast, but the DSLR came through.

Bob

Another two camera guy. My DSLR goes off ship and my P&S pocket camera is my "dinner" camera or for other places the DSLR would be too big.

Last cruise the DSLR wore a rain bag while I was taking photo's of Quebec City in the rain. A bit of a challenge with rain and heavy overcast, but the DSLR came through.

Bob

I'm normally three.

DSLR

Mirrorless

P&S with reasonable Zoom range

Hi Jef

You did not confirm what type of DSLR camera you will be using. Is it weather-sealed ? If not no big problem. Just take some of your cleaning materials, extra cloths, & a few 1 gallon zip-lock plastic bags. The bags will protect your camera when not in use. Humidity, sand, salt water, & dust are your enemies. Keep your equipment clean. I would suggest one lens for your DSLR that will fit your needs so you do not have to change lens & pack the extra weight.

Likely your excitement about this first trip will encourage to take more photos than usual. Extra batteries & memory cards are a must.

We always travel with 3 cameras. Wife likes to take some video & I only take photographs with either the Nikon D7100 or the P&S I carry as a back-up.

My DSLR goes on every excursion & I have yet to have any problems. Last cruise was Alaska last September in some tough conditions. Camera survived very well with a little care. Just can't imagine leaving it on the ship. Toughest trip was our land trip through the Amazon. Some extreme conditions there on all the cameras.

Know you will have a great trip... Happy travels, John

Hi Jef

....I would suggest one lens for your DSLR that will fit your needs so you do not have to change lens & pack the extra weight.

.... Extra batteries & memory cards are a must...

Totally agree. I usually carry a 28mm fixed, a 50mm fixed and a 70-210mm zoom when traveling. When going ashore and with no particular photo objectives apart from "opportunity shots," I'll take just the zoom.

But the best advice is to have triple back-ups on all batteries and always set up the charge for batteries overnight. I always carry 3 or 4 high capacity memory cards and download everything to my laptop every night before going to bed.

[beats the old problem back when we started cruising back in 1985 where I carried a ton of film and labels and had to worry about the film speed before leaving the ship on cloudy/rainy days.]

I'm a two camera person. I carry both my DSLR, a Canon EOS Rebel and a Canon D20 waterproof Powershot for Caribbean cruises. I bring the DSLR for everything except active/water based excursions where I use the Powershot. I make good use out of both on a trip.

For my Alaska trip this May, I'll be carrying two DSLR's - my current Rebel and my old first generation Rebel to avoid having to change lenses quickly. For me, the key is having a convenient bag to carry everything in. I prefer a backpack style that holds everything in it's own compartment but isn't a burden to carry.\

Edited to add: as others have said, extra batteries and cards are a must.

Edited by ABCGreys

I'm a one camera person. I gave up the SLR when I went digital. My geographer professor friend retired and no longer needed slides for his lectures. I was not interested in carrying that weight around. I use long zoom point and shoot cameras and I am quite happy with my pictures. I am not going to publish them or make large prints. Some of them get posted on forums. EM

I'm normally three.

DSLR

Mirrorless

P&S with reasonable Zoom range

I am at 4 or 5 cameras. DSLR medium format, DSLR full frame, DSLR APS-C (shared with my wife), waterproof P&S, goPro-type small camera (also waterproof). Oh, and my iPhone. And iPad. So, seven total. The DSLRs share some lenses so that simplifies things somewhat. Each camera has its place, it's purpose...

For the OP, I suggest you think about what happens when you get back home. Do you (or your spouse) want to show others photos of your trip? Do you maybe want to make an album? (DIY a lot cheaper than buying onboard, and much more personal.) For anything beyond in-the-moment social media, a good DSLR in my opinion is well worth it. If you take the time to thoroughly learn to use it.