My Experience at SHARE - Ruby 3/10/16 Sailing

FloatillaTheHun

There's nothing at Share I'd call adventurous, pretty standard fare. Pork (ham and salami), duck, beef, white fish, crab, and lobster. Only the duck may standout from what is offered in the regular dining rooms. But if it's not for you, then that's great too. You're in good company with The Blues Brothers

Mrs. Murphy: May I help you boys?

Elwood: You got any white bread?

Mrs. Murphy: Yes.

Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.

Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that toast, honey?

Elwood: No ma'am, dry

;)

Indeed. [emoji42] People who don't like exotic ingredients or who simply don't want to pay extra to eat things they know they don't like are dull and eat only dry toast. That's an improvement over some of the things we have been compared to by the cheerleaders for that restaurant. Go. Eat. Enjoy yourself. Why must we agree with your tastes or invite insult?

There's nothing at Share I'd call adventurous, pretty standard fare. Pork (ham and salami), duck, beef, white fish, crab, and lobster. Only the duck may standout from what is offered in the regular dining rooms. But if it's not for you, then that's great too. You're in good company with The Blues Brothers

;)

Good for you thinking it is not adventurous and standard fare. That is standard fare for you. It is certainly not standard people for most of the people I know. Remember, not everyone has the same taste buds, wants, desires and money. While I know some people with lots of money, spending it on duck or crab and lobster as their "standard" meal is not for them. Trust me, they could afford it. I live in LA-LA land, home of the stars and rich and famous.

Sure I'll eat pork and beef but duck is not for me. Nor is crab or lobster. Nor is liver. For me, it has a great deal to do with the "chew" of the food. I could tell you a childhood story about liver that would make you sick. I had a not so nice step father. Enough said. I don't care if liver was the last food item in the world. I would die before I'd eat it.

Not everyone can and wants to eat seafood. I'm good with white fish. Once every few months for fish and chips is fine with me. Salmon once or twice a year is good for me.

So, as I've said before. It is not for me but I don't begrudge anyone else eating there. I am interested in hearing the pros and cons of a new venue on board though.

We both went in wanting the twice cooked duck for our mains, and ordered such. But midway through the appetizers she asked if it was too late to try the mushroom ragu as well. He said he would check, and he was able to deliver. The duck skin was incredibly crispy, yet the meet very juicy and tender. It came with fennel, parmesan crumb, and bacon jus. I think there could have been a little more jus, but overall it was a beautiful dish. I can't really speak to the mushrooms, despite loving many things made with mushrooms I'm just not a fan of them in the flesh. I tried it and that was enough for me, she did enjoy it though.
I noticed the menu on the Princess website says, "Cover charge of $39/person includes one selection from each course. Additional selections are available for a nominal surcharge."

Is that the actual practice on the ship? Or can a couple order an extra appetizer to split or an extra dessert to try without paying extra?

I noticed the menu on the Princess website says, "Cover charge of $39/person includes one selection from each course. Additional selections are available for a nominal surcharge."

Is that the actual practice on the ship? Or can a couple order an extra appetizer to split or an extra dessert to try without paying extra?

We asked about trying another appetizer on the Emerald and she came back and said it would be $8. That each extra course had a certain price.

I loved your review and look forward to giving it a try.

We have never had a good experience in the Crown Grill. Every effort to try something different (four tries) always came up with a tough piece of meat. I would gladly pay the extra to try Share. There was nothing described on this review that I wouldn't try; in fact they all sounded quite tasty.

Not to criticize people who say they won't eat or hate certain foods may have had a bad experience with such items in their childhood or most likely the food just wasn't cooked properly. Not all moms are great cooks.:D It takes allowing for a bit of experimentation to understand this. To judge a particular food item from just one bad experience isn't being fair to many future opportunities of greatness.

That being said, I do respect each person's decision to limit their level of experimentation. I am not fond of fennel or anise. They both taste like licorice which I really don't care for yet I do allow myself a "taste" from time to time some dishes that are prepared with either of them and sometimes I find that the item was only lightly seasoned with it and it wasn't as heavy handed as I thought it would be. BTW, anyone who judges escargot by what is served in the dining rooms are truly missing out on something quite extraordinary if ordered in a restaurant with an honest french chef or at least has a better supply source. I have a hard time even considering what is placed in front of us on a Princess ship. If it wasn't for the buttery garlic they wouldn't even be palatable. Just my opinion, I have no intention of offending anyone who enjoys them on the ship. Perhaps you've had a better experience with them. I can say I gave them a try 2-3 times.

Which ships have Share? I've been cruising on the west coast and I'm pretty sure none of those have it in place yet.

Which ships have Share? I've been cruising on the west coast and I'm pretty sure none of those have it in place yet.

Ruby has it. Identical layout and menu, I really enjoyed my meal there. Search "first bites" for an exhaustive description of every menu item.

Anyone know when other ships will be getting it? Isn't it the new food venue that will be taking over Sabatinis or am I thinking of something else. No chance that either the Regal or Royal will have one?

"Coming to Sun Princess April 2016."- as quoted from this link:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/

The menu states that "Additional selections are avialable for a nominal surcharge" as you can see in the lower left here http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/SHARE-by-Curtis-Stone-Menu.pdf

When we asked about getting the extra entree of mushrooms we knew and expected that, but we were not charged. He also didn't charge for the leeks he elected to bring, of course, nor for the second serving of them he brought. I think you should go in knowing of the charge and then take it case-by-case that you may get lucky and have it waived.

Since we weren't charged, we added gratuity of about what we thought the additional food would have cost.

Edited by FloatillaTheHun

Not to criticize people who say they won't eat or hate certain foods may have had a bad experience with such items in their childhood or most likely the food just wasn't cooked properly. Not all moms are great cooks.

Absolutely, not to mention comparing just liver to a liver paté combined with other ingredients. It's not similar in any way.

That being said, I do respect each person's decision to limit their level of experimentation.

I agree, I just find it funny when someone says nothing on the menu is anything they would ever eat when most of the proteins are staples.

Absolutely, not to mention comparing just liver to a liver paté combined with other ingredients. It's not similar in any way.

I agree, I just find it funny when someone says nothing on the menu is anything they would ever eat when most of the proteins are staples.

Liver is liver, and if someone doesn't like it in one way, they won't like it in any way. Why do you care? Why can't people just like the things they do and not like the things they don't without your passing judgement on them? Is there anything you don't like? This nonsense argument about who is a better person according to whether they agree with your tastes has been in over-drive since the advent of SHARE and its cheerleaders. There used to be a couple of particularly unpleasant posters here who attacked anyone who chooses not to eat at SHARE who seem to have disappeared after their insults became far too personal and vitriolic. (Maybe about 30 or so posts ago.)

Edited by shredie

The tables are not shared between parties, with the possible exception of ends of the very long elevated table (which seats like 16). It is completely possible to have a lovely table for two and share nothing more than romantic dinner conversation.

(The original marketing talked about sharing dishes, but the reality is many of the dishes don't share particularly well - it's certainly not family-style *anything*)

Liver is liver, and if someone doesn't like it in one way, they won't like it in any way. Why do you care? Why can't people just like the things they do and not like the things they don't without your passing judgement on them? Is there anything you don't like? This nonsense argument about who is a better person according to whether they agree with your tastes has been in over-drive since the advent of SHARE and its cheerleaders. There used to be a couple of particularly unpleasant posters here who attacked anyone who chooses not to eat at SHARE who seem to have disappeared after their insults became far too personal and vitriolic. (Maybe about 30 or so posts ago.)

I'm always amused when I tell someone that I don't like liver and they respond with: "I have this great recipe you have to try. It doesn't taste like liver." Evidently, liver tastes so bad you have to make it taste like something else in order to like it.

And, no, I don't care what how you cook it or what you mix it with, I'm not trying it.

I actually hate plain cooked liver but I do enjoy quite a few liver pates due to the spices and herbs put in there. The taste also depends on what animal the liver is from. It's much like cheese and how a goats cheese will taste different than a cows cheese!

A lot of the reviews on Share have been from posters who have never actually eaten at Share. Not liking a menu offering is one thing but it's really hard to review a restaurant if one hasn't ever actually tasted any of the food.

Since I actually really enjoyed my meal there as well as how all of the plates I looked at the open house and have posted my actual experience, does that make me a cheerleader?! And I certainly don't say that those who have actually eaten there and didn't enjoy their meals do not have the right to that opinion, they certainly do. Just like someone has the right to decide that not spending extra money when meals in the MDR are already included, it's their choice and right. I'm actually glad to have all of the options!

A lot of the reviews on Share have been from posters who have never actually eaten at Share. Not liking a menu offering is one thing but it's really hard to review a restaurant if one hasn't ever actually tasted any of the food.

I don't have to eat at Share to know that I would be wasting my money. I can tell from the menu and the descriptions. After I remove the items I won't order, then there is really very few items to choose from. I don't care how liver is cooked, I won't eat it. I do not like duck. I do not like cauliflower. I do not like the decor, it's too bright. I do not like the ambiance. It's too noisy. I do not like the concept of sharing. Yes, I know I don't have to share but the restaurant is built around the sharing concept. They do call it Share, don't they?

But, to be fair, the cheese and dessert selections look interesting, but not interesting enough to pay $39 PP.

If I were given the choice of paying $39 to dine at Share and $39 to dine at McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds.

Edited by RocketMan275

This thread has been an interesting read. Amongst all the barbs and angst about who will eat in Share and who won't, I found information pertinent to my decision of whether or not to try it. Thanks to the OP for your true, first person review. :)

I'm always amused when I tell someone that I don't like liver and they respond with: "I have this great recipe you have to try. It doesn't taste like liver." Evidently, liver tastes so bad you have to make it taste like something else in order to like it.

That is hilarious--and I like liver. I dislike beets, though. The good news is that I can order a dish that includes beets and try them. If they just taste like beets, I push them off to the side of my dish, and it doesn't take long before Mrs. XBGuy is stabbing them and moving them over to her plate. We have been into the share concept for over 40 years.

:D

Not to criticize people who say they won't eat or hate certain foods may have had a bad experience with such items in their childhood or most likely the food just wasn't cooked properly. Not all moms are great cooks.:D It takes allowing for a bit of experimentation to understand this. To judge a particular food item from just one bad experience isn't being fair to many future opportunities of greatness.

It was not my mother's cooking. It was the fact that I threw up in my plate while eating it and my wonderful step father insisted I could not leave the table until the plate was clean. You try eating liver and your own throw up and say, give it another try. I wasn't going to share this experience but since some people think they know why people do or don't like certain food items, sometimes have no idea.

Edited by notentirelynormal

We have never had a good experience in the Crown Grill. Every effort to try something different (four tries) always came up with a tough piece of meat.QUOTE]

Hmmm - we have never tried Crown Grill but are planning to do so on upcoming Grand Mexico Riviera - now you have me worried.:confused:

It was not my mother's cooking. It was the fact that I threw up in my plate while eating it and my wonderful step father insisted I could not leave the table until the plate was clean. You try eating liver and your own throw up and say, give it another try. I wasn't going to share this experience but since some people think they know why people do or don't like certain food items, sometimes have no idea.

The bigger question is when folks are looking for information about SHARE (or for that matter any specialty dining venue) do they CARE whether or not you like liver, beef, seafood, or green vegetables? Of course they don't. They really don't care why folks don't like certain foods either. They really don't care about anyone's budget or how they spend (or don't spend) their money.

That is hilarious--and I like liver. I dislike beets, though. The good news is that I can order a dish that includes beets and try them. If they just taste like beets, I push them off to the side of my dish, and it doesn't take long before Mrs. XBGuy is stabbing them and moving them over to her plate. We have been into the share concept for over 40 years.

:D

This is very much how my husband and I dine in most restaurants. We find the servings often are too large. He'll order something (main course) that we both will enjoy and I will order an appetizer or salad that we both will enjoy. Maybe it's an "Asian" thing we are accustomed to. We don't call it "family style," we just call it "sharing." The same with desserts. We always share one. The waiters always bring an extra plate.