Kevin Sheehan's severance pay

Companies don't offer packages like this out of the goodness of their heart. They offer what they think they need to offer to attract the kind of talent they think they need. (Whether or not that was actually a good business decision, only time will tell.)

Besides, it's not like any of us would get any of that money if they didn't do this. Unless you own stock in the company (and a pretty substantial amount of it, even) this has basically no effect on you.

Not to turn this into politics, but its not half this board, its half the United States that seem fasicated and are concerend about what other people make.

Well I guess this is political, but rather than being "fascinated" I'm actually appalled. You know, what with all of the uproar in some states with how much money our teachers and police officers make. I mean, you see cops and educators all the time on "wealthiest people" lists, right?

But heck - what's really more important. Compensating the people who are responsible for our children on a daily basis, and the ones who put their lives on the line to protect us OR is it the CEO of a major corporation? We have messed up priorities in this country...

So, to stay on point, I think that might be the reason some people do find this information very interesting.

While I think he deserved the money if he was pushed out and earned it by making NCL what it is today

I just have issues with CEO making so much more than employees

Back in the day an owner made 10x an employees salary and that was a great living

Nowadays 50x is an awesome living

but 500- 1000x is greedy

Edited by jonbgd

Underpaid by US standards, maybe. Underpaid by the standard of their home country, probably not.

Underpaid is underpaid. If a muslim lady gets abused by their spouse here in the U.S., no one suggests that it's better than the treatment she'd get in her home country. At least they wouldn't say that out loud... Just saying...

Underpaid is underpaid. If a muslim lady gets abused by their spouse here in the U.S., no one suggests that it's better than the treatment she'd get in her home country. At least they wouldn't say that out loud... Just saying...

Last time I ran the numbers someone from the Philipines could make 3 to 4 times more working on a cruise ship than they could doing the same job in the Philipines. Granted they could potentially make more if they worked in the US, but they aren't working in the US.

Last time I ran the numbers someone from the Philipines could make 3 to 4 times more working on a cruise ship than they could doing the same job in the Philipines. Granted they could potentially make more if they worked in the US, but they aren't working in the US.

So they're "less underpaid" than they would be working in their homelands. Doesn't change what the poster was saying about NCL having a more equitable balance of pay at their company. All cruise lines are guilty of this though...

Very true that's why a lot joined the Navy as well back in our day

Well I guess this is political, but rather than being "fascinated" I'm actually appalled. You know, what with all of the uproar in some states with how much money our teachers and police officers make. I mean, you see cops and educators all the time on "wealthiest people" lists, right?

But heck - what's really more important. Compensating the people who are responsible for our children on a daily basis, and the ones who put their lives on the line to protect us OR is it the CEO of a major corporation? We have messed up priorities in this country...

So, to stay on point, I think that might be the reason some people do find this information very interesting.

If you think someone is not making enough money you are absolutely free to give them some of yours at any time. :D

You are comparing apples to oranges at best. A for profit publicly traded entity is a complete different animal than a government entity. If you want teachers and police officers to get paid more then work hard to get your taxes raised (which is where their pay comes from). If think a for profit entity is not being run well then do not do business with them (that is where they get their money from).

Too bad some of that couldn't have gone to the hardworking underpaid staff on board, they could definitely use it!

People are only underpaid because of their own choices. If an employer is offering a job a $X and you do not think that $X is sufficient pay for that job then do not take the job. The free market system sets prices and wages, and when allowed to work, it does a damn fine job of it.

People are only underpaid because of their own choices. If an employer is offering a job a $X and you do not think that $X is sufficient pay for that job then do not take the job. The free market system sets prices and wages, and when allowed to work, it does a damn fine job of it.

There are so many things incorrect about your statement here (in my opinion.) But this forum is not the place for that argument. From your 2 replies to my post, plus this one here, I can see that we fall on very opposite sides of certain issues. I'm walking away right now. I've learned there is nothing to be gained by online "discussions" of this type.

Have a lovely day.

How is Donald? I am guessing that you are not on speaking terms with HC?

The free market system has its faults - you might want to remove your head from its not-sunny place and take a look.

Underpaid by US standards, maybe. Underpaid by the standard of their home country, probably not.

Well they are not working in their home country. They are working hard serving mostly US passengers.

Edited by IrieBajan54

Not much for today's packages. A CEO where I worked once, a guy who drove it into the ground such that they were taken over, got $30million - it was specified in his contract, signed when hired barely four years prior !

Not to turn this into politics, but its not half this board, its half the United States that seem fasicated and are concerend about what other people make.
More like people are fascinated and concerned about the outrageous amounts the 1% make and why the hell they make it .

While I think he deserved the money if he was pushed out and earned it by making NCL what it is today

I just have issues with CEO making so much more than employees

Back in the day an owner made 10x an employees salary and that was a great living

Nowadays 50x is an awesome living

but 500- 1000x is greedy

The joke being how reasonable only 50x seems . I must correct you though - these are overpaid employees ,not owners .

Frankly I have fewer issues with owners making huge multiples as it is profits not ridiculous compensation packages .