Koningsdam: A Licensed Barber Aboard

rkacruiser

Captain Albert mentioned that the Greenhouse Spa and Salon will have such an individual employed.

I have had my hair cut by Greenhouse Spa ladies on several cruises and have always been pleased with the results. What will a licensed barber do that would be different from what I have experienced in the past?

Captain Albert mentioned that the Greenhouse Spa and Salon will have such an individual employed.

I have had my hair cut by Greenhouse Spa ladies on several cruises and have always been pleased with the results. What will a licensed barber do that would be different from what I have experienced in the past?

Well, after 5 HAL cruises I never knew that you could get a haircut on board... (AND, being a typical clueless male I would never go to the "Greenhouse Spa" to get my hair cut! :p )

So having a dedicated "barbershop" is a great addition to me.

Is this about "licensed" or about a "male" hair cutter?

Aren't the Steiner Spa ladies who work in the Hair Salon "Licensed?

I thought it would be mandatory. You certainly can't work in a Salon here without a license.

The license for a barber is different. Our former stylist at home was getting his barber license so he could also do shaves. I know on HAL that DH has only been able to get a shave in the salon when there is a licensed barber in there. Getting his hair cut has never been an issue.

First, women can also be barbers. I have been in the business over 40 years and hold a cosmetology license. Years ago we were not allowed to cut men's hair as we did not hold a barber license. But barbers could cut women's hair. Times have changed and we no longer have to bring the men in the back door after dark:):)

Barbers have to put in more hours to obtain their degree, there field of training is different than cosmetology. I think someone with a barber license onboard is a good thing. On our next cruise is one is available I will be booking my husband an appointment for a hot shave...he says there is nothing like it and I find his face so smooth after the shave. Love it...

On our next cruise is one is available I will be booking my husband an appointment for a hot shave...he says there is nothing like it and I find his face so smooth after the shave. Love it...

I shave every morning and every evening when on board. The cost would break the bank!

Do either/both require state licensing in U.S.?

Yes. They have required classes, a certain number of hours at a minimum. They sit for a test.

I don't think it is a difficult curriculum as long as the trainee has the aptitude, either you can style hair or you cannot.

I have received several fine hair-cuts by the ladies in the Greenhouse Spa Salons. Whether they were licensed barbers or not, I care not. The quality of their work is what is important to me.

ZSandy25 spoke about her husband's enjoyment of a hot shave. Yes, it is. But on a ship when the "ocean is in motion" and someone is approaching me with a razor: Hmmm.

I shouldn't think so. Most of the girls come from UK and have the qualifications. Foreign flag vessel, US licensing not an issue.

Yes. They have required classes, a certain number of hours at a minimum. They sit for a test.

I don't think it is a difficult curriculum as long as the trainee has the aptitude, either you can style hair or you cannot.

Yes, I know that all have to train with Steiner's but my comment/question was for the poster who asked what is the difference in cosmetologist and a barber.

I wanted to know if when working in the States, they need to be licensed. I know aboard ship the rules in the States would not apply. I did not know if either specialty is a licensed position on land.

Edited by sail7seas

I can't answer the question, but I do know that DH had one of his best haircuts ever on the Zuiderdam, by one of the ladies in the Salon.

I won't have a problem getting my husband to have his hair cut at the spa on our longish upcoming cruise as I long ago sold him on the idea of having his hair cut by my hairdresser. He was reluctant at first but is now a convert and will never go back to a barber.

There was a big fuss in the province a few years ago as the barber's association tried to have a law passed that hairdressers would not be allowed to cut men's hair. That went nowhere fast.

For most of my life I was 'country barber shop' kind of guy. I did like the straight razor warm towel clean-up. I do see where having a licensed barber on the ship could be a wise market expansion move for HAL.

However, for the last several years (and for the future) it has been my wife and I going to a high-end salon together. I like being greeted with a glass of wine when we enter the salon. I have my stylist and my wife hers. It is great haircut and great service. The staff always ask when we are off for our next cruise. A good quarter to a third of the regular clients are men, and not just the metrosexual types.

I wish the spa/salon staff on HAL were as attentive. Hint, hint ... a beverage would be appreciated. :)

Dennis

Licensing is by the state in the USA. I have not heard of any overriding federal requirements. I know that licensing requirements are different in a neighboring state, different hours of schooling required among other things. Health laws and inspections also vary from state to state. In my state I have heard that a cut-throat razor blade can not be used for more than one customer. It would be interesting to hear Holland America's license requirements and health rules.

I have had my hair cut twice in HAL spas, prices seem flexible for men. The spa workers seemed to be from Eastern Europe and I do wonder about their training and licensing. Apparently they get a lot of sales training.

A spa pdf already promotes shaves for men, maybe they have always been available.

Elemis Express Shave

This treatment includes a deep

cleansing exfoliation and a double

close shave to leave your skin super

smooth.

30 min

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/GreenhouseSpa.pdf

As I previously mentioned, DH has gone to the salon on our HAL cruises for shaves. IIRC the first time was about 8 years ago. This isn't that new a service for HAL. For those who questioned if the salon staff was all female, that barber was a male. I don't know about any of the other barbers.

Typically a licensed barber has only been on the Vista or Signature ships. Due to staffing, even on those ships, there hasn't always been a barber onboard each cruise. Given that there will be a dedicated barber area on the Koningsdam I would expect to always find a licensed barber on her.

Shaving isn't something DH enjoys. What he likes about the HAL shaves is that he doesn't need to shave for 3 days after getting one. Who knows, since Stephen says he has to shave both morning and evening, he may only need one HAL shave a day. :D

When DH had his first HAL shave, he said the barber explained that since they were on a ship, a traditional straight razor wouldn't be used. DH was very relieved. The HAL shave involved being shaved twice. Both times a brand new safety razor was used. He said that the barber made a point of showing him the new razor being opened.

Maybe I'm more observant than others, but ashore I've always seen the state license tucked into the mirror of any stylist I've used.

Wow, you struck a nerve with that comment, my blood pressure just spiked when I read your comment.. next time you go to your stylist DON'T make that statement, you might not like the outcome after your service.

Each state is different and regulates their license process. Just because I hold a license in my state does not allow me to practice in another state. You must apply and be accepted, sometimes taking their state boards.

There are hours to be met, barber school requires more hours than cosmetologists. A curriculum is followed, it involves many facets. Just because you can style hair does not give you a pass...

In some cases you can apprentice with a licensed individual. It is not a free pass, you still must present yourself and be tested. In my case testing was a two day affair.

Your license must be posted in your work area, state regulators make cold calls on salons to make sure the salon and staff are meeting requirements. You can be fined in some cases.

I'm SURE the staff on the ships are licensed from the country they took their boards, next time you visit the salon have a chat with them. I think you will be impressed with the level of schooling and what it takes to get where they are today.

Think it's easy, just look it up and see what is involved..

ZSandy25 makes a good point about female barbers. Do you think any of the barbers would be males? Does HAL have an all female spa staff?

I have seen male stylists in HAL ship salons.

I have also seen male staff in the gym area. I had one particularly dangerous and unpleasant experience with a 'trained' tech who chose to walk by my treadmill and push the speed up without ever saying a word to me. That was a very big deal as I had just had open heart surgery and was under strict direction as to how strenuously I could exercise. :rolleyes:

Wow, you struck a nerve with that comment, my blood pressure just spiked when I read your comment.. next time you go to your stylist DON'T make that statement, you might not like the outcome after your service.

Each state is different and regulates their license process. Just because I hold a license in my state does not allow me to practice in another state. You must apply and be accepted, sometimes taking their state boards.

There are hours to be met, barber school requires more hours than cosmetologists. A curriculum is followed, it involves many facets. Just because you can style hair does not give you a pass...

In some cases you can apprentice with a licensed individual. It is not a free pass, you still must present yourself and be tested. In my case testing was a two day affair.

Your license must be posted in your work area, state regulators make cold calls on salons to make sure the salon and staff are meeting requirements. You can be fined in some cases.

I'm SURE the staff on the ships are licensed from the country they took their boards, next time you visit the salon have a chat with them. I think you will be impressed with the level of schooling and what it takes to get where they are today.

Think it's easy, just look it up and see what is involved..

Thank you for answering just what I wanted to know. I had no idea what licensing or mandatory training is required by various states.

Edited by sail7seas