Best place to view the Golden Gate Bridge

damiross

As high as you can get. There is space in front of the fitness center on the Sun deck 15 that should have very good views. In front of that area is a deck over the bridge and bridge wings that would be a great viewing area but it will probably be closed to passenger access.

Edited by IECalCruiser

If you are only taking general pictures, as opposed to professionally styled "Important" pictures, I'd stand like I do on deck 15 in the middle, port side. When there, any pic you take is full of scenic goodies with San Francisco in the background.

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Sailing out of SF I like to be topside Aft Starboard side. If you are at the bow it can be very windy/cold and you would be taking pictures directly into the setting sun. Aft you are a bit more protected and shoot with the sun behind you lighting the bridge after you sail under it.

You still have gorgeous views of Alcatraz and Marin County, and the bridge with SF behind it.

It's much harder to get pictures on the sail in as its usually before dawn. I was lucky enough once to get just after dawn with fog still swirling around the bridge, but it only partially obscured. Very special.

Enjoy you cruise

We'll be on the Grand Princess on 26 March out of San Francisco. What would be the best deck to view the bridge as we go under it? At the top or somewhere lower?

Thanks.

Regardless of where you elect to be there is always a better than even chance that when you get to the bridge it will be "socked in" and you won't be able to see a bloody thing. Keep your fingers crossed.

Regardless of where you elect to be there is always a better than even chance that when you get to the bridge it will be "socked in" and you won't be able to see a bloody thing. Keep your fingers crossed.

One time as soon as we backed away from the pier the ship was shrouded in fog and we couldn't see anything. I had given up hope but stayed on deck. As we got to within about a ship length of the bridge it magically cleared to a bright blue sky with a great view of the bridge. A ship length after sailing under the fog again closed in and any views disappeared. It was a very lucky sail away.

Sailing out of SF I like to be topside Aft Starboard side. If you are at the bow it can be very windy/cold and you would be taking pictures directly into the setting sun. Aft you are a bit more protected and shoot with the sun behind you lighting the bridge after you sail under it.

You still have gorgeous views of Alcatraz and Marin County, and the bridge with SF behind it.

Enjoy you cruise

Our favorite place also. The light for photos is much, much better!!

Enjoy! Denise

There is a saying here in the SF Bay Area - if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes or drive 5 miles. So if it's fogged in when you leave the dock - don't despair there is a real possibility that the GG is clear.

I always get to the highest deck I can get to - and wave to the people on the bridge :)

I really need to play the lottery, my 4 departures from SF have all been clear and sunny. But we are known for the afternoon fog, it's the joy of facing into the sea and weathers natural flow.

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

My preference is up top at the bow - you can see the Bridge approaching, whizzing by overhead, and you can always head aft for a parting view. But it can be really windy. Blow-your-hat-off windy. Make-it-hard-to-stand windy. And this month there've been a number of (thank goodness) heavy El Niño downpours. Good luck.

(Actually, my personal all-time favorite place to see the Bridge is from Fort Point, but that's another matter…)

Last time we went under, we were in Vines with Tatiana (staff member from Ukraine) holding hands for good luck. Yep, it was socked in but the company was great.

In the past, we took photos as we departed the pier. Much better than being immediately under the bridge. A lot depends on your camera if you a taking photos.

Jim

When we sailed in September is was a beautiful, clear day. The railings were packed on Deck 15. We went down to deck 7 and boy are we glad we did. No one anywhere, great view of the bridge and the best part............Whales, lots of whales. Once we were past the gate there was a pod of about 10-15 whales that followed along the ship for over an hour. Everyone was getting ready for dinner and there we were "alone" with the whales. So fun. I don't know if there will be whales in March, but, if they are migrating at that time, I would go for a look on the 7th deck. Have fun.

Whales, lots of whales. Once we were past the gate there was a pod of about 10-15 whales that followed along the ship for over an hour.

San Francisco also has a huge Great White Shark population, especially outside the Golden Gate. During our most recent Fleet Week, a Great White Shark jumped out of the water with a seal in his mouth, giving the folks on the Alcatraz dock quite a morbid feeding show.

Edited by MTJSR

San Francisco also has a huge Great White Shark population, especially outside the Golden Gate. During our most recent Fleet Week, a Great White Shark jumped out of the water with a seal in his mouth, giving the folks on the Alcatraz dock quite a morbid feeding show.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing. I cannot believe that! I never knew there were sharks in the bay. :eek:

I've done the sailaway from SF twice underneath the Golden Gate. The first time, the fog was so thick that there was nothing to see but a vague outline surrounded by a few lights. The second time I did it (last year) it was completely clear and quite spectacular. You'd be surprised how little clearance there is between the top of the ship and the bottom of the bridge...