empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

We were on the 5/5 sailing - Called C&A, managed to get on Enchantment 5/6 sailing. They gave us a small bump up in category, and price protection. Currently would be double what we paid for Empress - even with 1 night less!

Not ideal, but at least I'm not losing any airfare. Though, for the first time in 20 years of cruising, I pre-booked my own excursion in Key West - of course it's non-refundable. They will give us a credit that we have to use within 12 months, but given our plans, it might be a $200 loss right there. Plus need an extra night in Miami -- so we won't be staying at the airport Marriott as planned -- and I KNOW South Beach hotels will be more $$$.

Not sure how RCI can think they are really caring about any of us.

I wonder if they'll let this lowly D+ into Enchantment's Concierge Lounge?? :D

Mike

Mike:

1. I had a "nonrefundable" excursion in Key West, too. I wrote to them and they refunded me within minutes.

2. Enchantment has a Diamond Lounge. :D

RCCL deserves a slow clap for this one. Not only did we get screwed out of our cruise (which coincidently would be ending tomorrow), we also get screwed out of future credits because we chose to outright cancel.

They've done an excellent job of ensuring that I never book on royal again.

Unless she's moved, she wasn't in drydock a few days ago, just alongside a wet berth. And Jewel should be out of the dock by the time Majesty comes along.

Majesty is going to wetdock as I was told last month. Also, the tall pole I mentioned in a previous post was for new galley equipment. Probably very hard to procure on short notice and get to Freeport where they decided to install it.

Edited by Scotty G

They DID price-protect me and everyone else I talked to.

Did you call the 800 number in the email?

May 9 is now sold out unfortunately.

Can you do any other dates? I am going to leave my signature on this post. Email me if you want.

Received the email this evening. Called the number on it. Was told that the April 25th & 30th canceled cruises do not get price protected because we are receiving the 100% future cruise certificate. Only canceled cruises from May 5th thru the end of the May cancellations are price protected on the Enchantment because they only get a 50% future cruise certificate.

Rep said May 9th Enchantment is sold out but, to continue to check back for a possible cancellation on it.

Not sure if other dates are possible. DH will find out tomorrow.

Even if we have to cancel, I will not let it discourage me.

Diane

Received the email this evening. Called the number on it. Was told that the April 25th & 30th canceled cruises do not get price protected because we are receiving the 100% future cruise certificate. Only canceled cruises from May 5th thru the end of the May cancellations are price protected on the Enchantment because they only get a 50% future cruise certificate.

Rep said May 9th Enchantment is sold out but, to continue to check back for a possible cancellation on it.

Not sure if other dates are possible. DH will find out tomorrow.

Even if we have to cancel, I will not let it discourage me.

Diane

Oh. That's interesting.

And I like your attitude. :)

Majesty is going to wetdock as I was told last month. Also, the tall pole I mentioned in a previous post was for new galley equipment. Probably very hard to procure on short notice and get to Freeport where they decided to install it.

And you couldn't have shared that earlier? I'm sure only about 1000 people may have known that.

Oh, please. As I noted 100 posts ago on this thread, RCI had inspected Empress before November, yet didn't notice the defective or non-par equipment and conditions in the galleys (and provisions cold boxes as noted in the latest cancellation notice) and then have 4 months prior to the original shipyard date to get things ordered? The only "tall pole" here is the one the technical superintendents need to climb out of the s*** hole they dug for themselves. I have defended cruise lines in incidents from the Carnival Splendor to the Anthem storm where the facts justified, but this is gross incompetence and perhaps arrogance towards governmental regulations on the part of RCI.

Indeed a major screwup and someone should lose their job over this! It's costing shareholders a lot of $ and makes a bad impression on RCCL. However , amid the bashing, keep in mind that this doesn't involve the sea-worthiness of the ship...most likely since its all galley equipment. If there are Code issues this Shoulda been known many months ago.... No one knows the REAL story. On a positive note, at least they are going to make it right for the inconvenienced guests and also not try to sail with substandard conditions. Maybe they are going for perfection and were not satisfied with less than that?? (Just wishing this was the case).

The timing couldn't be any worse as earnings are due out today (?). Michael Bayley will be asked about this and its impacts to the next quarter.

A pessimistic side of me wonders did they put off this announcement til the very last possible moment so they wouldn't have to address it in earnings report today? Manipulation? Maybe give us a chance to get a nice pop on earnings so we can sell some? Who knows? Lol

Oh, please. As I noted 100 posts ago on this thread, RCI had inspected Empress before November, yet didn't notice the defective or non-par equipment and conditions in the galleys (and provisions cold boxes as noted in the latest cancellation notice) and then have 4 months prior to the original shipyard date to get things ordered? The only "tall pole" here is the one the technical superintendents need to climb out of the s*** hole they dug for themselves. I have defended cruise lines in incidents from the Carnival Splendor to the Anthem storm where the facts justified, but this is gross incompetence and perhaps arrogance towards governmental regulations on the part of RCI.

Well said! I also think it's extremely disrespectful of passengers' time and money to wait until 5 days out to cancel. There's nothing RCI could say that would convince me that having to completely rebuild the galley came as a shock 5 days before they were due to set sail. From the sound of it, RCI is continuing to be dismissive of many passengers when they need to be extremely generous -- even if it costs them some (more) money!

Indeed a major screwup and someone should lose their job over this! It's costing shareholders a lot of $ and makes a bad impression on RCCL. However , amid the bashing, keep in mind that this doesn't involve the sea-worthiness of the ship...most likely since its all galley equipment. If there are Code issues this Shoulda been known many months ago.... No one knows the REAL story. On a positive note, at least they are going to make it right for the inconvenienced guests and also not try to sail with substandard conditions. Maybe they are going for perfection and were not satisfied with less than that?? (Just wishing this was the case).

The timing couldn't be any worse as earnings are due out today (?). Michael Bayley will be asked about this and its impacts to the next quarter.

A pessimistic side of me wonders did they put off this announcement til the very last possible moment so they wouldn't have to address it in earnings report today? Manipulation? Maybe give us a chance to get a nice pop on earnings so we can sell some? Who knows? Lol

This fiasco really makes me wonder how dire the condition of the ship was when Royal got it back from Pullmantur, and what else has been overlooked over a period of time.:confused: I'm not saying the vessel isn't sea worthy, but how much routine maintenance was deferred?

Majesty is going to wetdock as I was told last month.

And you couldn't have shared that earlier? I'm sure only about 1000 people may have known that.
Seriously you are blaming Scotty for not passing on info that was not official ? :confused: I'm betting he would have been criticized for spreading rumors if he had . And why are you blaming him instead of RCI ?

Mike:

1. I had a "nonrefundable" excursion in Key West, too. I wrote to them and they refunded me within minutes.

2. Enchantment has a Diamond Lounge. :D

I have sent an email and am hoping they will be kinder the RCI has been!!

We've never sailed Enchantment, so at least we will still be getting on a new ship (to us) -- the DL will be nice. I wonder how many Empress cancelees will be onboard -- I'm sure it will make for nice, pleasant conversations in the lounges.....

Mike

This fiasco really makes me wonder how dire the condition of the ship was when Royal got it back from Pullmantur, and what else has been overlooked over a period of time.:confused: I'm not saying the vessel isn't sea worthy, but how much routine maintenance was deferred?

Apples and oranges, really. The structure of the ship and the maintenance of the equipment comes under the scrutiny of the class society, who function as insurance underwriters, and must meet IMO and SOLAS requirements for inspections and surveys of the vessel and monitoring of ISM and planned maintenance systems.

The class societies look at the galley equipment from a safety viewpoint, not a sanitation viewpoint. For instance, if a piece of galley equipment is out of order, all the class society cares is whether or not it is securely tagged out and isolated for safety. However, USPH requirements state that all galley equipment must be fully operational, or be physically removed from the galley.

Seriously you are blaming Scotty for not passing on info that was not official ? :confused: I'm betting he would have been criticized for spreading rumors if he had . And why are you blaming him instead of RCI ?

Not blaming him, a legitimate question. He'd already gotten plenty of bashing earlier.

I'm wondering if the initial plan to use the ship for a short period to break into the Cuban market has now been extended, and RCI is willing to invest more in the ship since it will be a longer term investment?

I'm thinking that even with the problems fathom is facing with cruises to Cuba, RCI was thinking moderately long term for Empress in that market. I don't believe they are "willing to invest more", but more likely they have found themselves in a pit of quicksand and are forced to spend more to pull themselves out.

Want to sell me your 100% credit for half price? :D

With a response like that you should go work for RC, you would probably be employee of the month in no time.

I would tell you what you could do with your offer, but not sure you could get it past your head.

With a response like that you should go work for RC, you would probably be employee of the month in no time.

I would tell you what you could do with your offer, but not sure you could get it past your head.

If they do not intend to sail Royal ever again and are given $1,000 certificate how is my offer not valid? The $1,000 certificate in essence becomes a paperweight figuratively speaking but if I give $500 in cash they can use it to book NCL, Carnival, Princess etc.

Its a half decent solution, better than what Royal is offering for those that never wish to sail with Royal again

Remember years ago when RCI would state right in the cruise contract that they made no warrenty as to the sea worthiness of the vessel?

We were on the April 25 sailing, and still have not received a call. Got an email 45 minutes after seeing on CC about the cancellation. Then about 8pm tonight we got a text message telling us to please respond to them to let them know we know. The heck with that. I will not respond. They don't care about me!

I was on April 16 initially, moved to May 5. I still haven't received a call or e-mail, although they sent me a text yesterday saying they had sent me an e-mail and to also reply to the text. So, they can't even send an e-mail correctly it seems. And even better is that I can still open my May 5 booking on their website, do stuff on the cruise planner, print my setsail pass, etc.

Remember years ago when RCI would state right in the cruise contract that they made no warrenty as to the sea worthiness of the vessel?

I thought that line showed up in cruise contracts for all lines. I seem remember during one of the Carnival situations that that line was brought up in something (like a news story).

If they do not intend to sail Royal ever again and are given $1,000 certificate how is my offer not valid? The $1,000 certificate in essence becomes a paperweight figuratively speaking but if I give $500 in cash they can use it to book NCL, Carnival, Princess etc.

Its a half decent solution, better than what Royal is offering for those that never wish to sail with Royal again

Somehow you don't get that the Future Cruise Certificates are NON TRANSFERRABLE, as both Marion Mom and I have pointed out. So go ahead and give this person $500.00 in cash, as it would be the same as flushing $500.00 down the toilet. The certificate will do you NO GOOD!:eek:

Rick

I have defended cruise lines in incidents from the Carnival Splendor to the Anthem storm where the facts justified, but this is gross incompetence and perhaps arrogance towards governmental regulations on the part of RCI.

I am in agreement and nowhere have I defended RCI.