Immigration strike

ABC news site is saying the same thing, though they're not specifically mentioning cruise terminals, just airports.

Coincidentally as I was reading the news I received a text from Princess saying our boarding had been brought forward an hour due to the strike!

IMO the strike is to do with immigration staff regardless where they are employed so i would take it that the strike is off for the period over Easter. This is obviously to avoid a build of masses if people.

We are sailing Monday, so we will see.

Princess will have old info. The PM only intervened this morning.

From the ABC:

"Immigration and border protection staff have postponed strike action at Australia's major international airports, in the wake of the Brussels attacks.

Some airport staff have already been engaged in stop work action at airports in Cairns, Townsville, Perth, Darwin and Adelaide as part of the two-year battle over pay and conditions.

Bigger disruptions were anticipated tomorrow when staff at major international airports in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane were going to mount a 24-hour strike starting at midnight.

Earlier today Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull urged the Community and Public Sector Union to reconsider, following the attacks in Brussels.

The union has now confirmed it has instructed staff not to strike, and attend work as normal.

According to a statement, National Secretary Nadine Flood said the decision was made after the Prime Minister's comments.

Earlier Mr Turnbull told Channel 7 he had been assured that there would be adequate security at the airports, but he pressured the union to retract its plans."

There's a bit more to the article - if you want to read it all: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-23/turnbull-urges-unions-to-abandon-strike-after-brussels-attack/7269028

I wondered whether it would be good to go ahead and strike after what happened in Brussels. Would be pretty poor form.

Anyway, Princess did send me a notification about possible delays. But that is moot now.

POSSIBLE TRAVEL AND EMBARKATION DELAYS

Please be advised that employees of the Australian Border Force will be taking part in a protected industrial action that will affect all Australian international airports and seaports for a 10-day period. If you are arriving in Perth on an international flight on Wednesday, 30 March, you may experience Customs delays on arrival at the Perth Airport. If you encounter delays and are unlikely to exit the Customs-controlled area by 5:00 PM, please contact our Ground Handler at +61 408 690 985. This stop-work meeting may also impact your embarkation process at the cruise terminal as we anticipate possible delays in Customs processing at the port. We are working closely with Australian Border Force to minimise delays, however, we have no control over the number of Customs staff members that will be available. To help minimise congestion and delays, we ask that you arrive at the progressive check-in time on your Travel Summary.

Edited by icat2000

Criminal it is, Border Force should be like our Federal and State/Territory Police Forces and Defence Forces, not permitted to strike.

I have little time for the likes of Border Force striking and impacting on the travelling public, let alone our national security. Shows how little integrity some of these people have. I could use stronger words, but have just renewed my passport.

Edited by NSWP

After talking to the union I can confirm it has been postponed for the cruise ports as well, not just the airports mentioned by the media.

Thank's for posting that, I was just coming back to say that on their FB page it only says airports and I was worried I had given the wrong info.

And now after reading further down, I see that everybody already knew this:o

Edited by aussiedisneyfan

And now after reading further down, I see that everybody already knew this:o

Yes called off but I was bemused by the union official saying..'We would never compromise border security' Well they were going to by striking, only intervention by Govt stopped it. But they will strike again, so of course security will be compromised.

Don't know what union these border people are in, but they should have a no strike clause in their industrial agreement.

Edited by NSWP