Carnival isn't keeping up

NIATPAC29

I'm wondering why Carnival keeps upgrading and refurbing these old ships. Many times things are undone. They have only Built one new ship since the breeze in 2012 and that's the Vista four years later. I think they would be wise to put those millions in profits into new ships. Their competitors sure are. They keep putting lipstick on a pig

The brand ambassador commented just today that bookings are up. And the pricing supports that from my experience.

I see nothing wrong with the blend of ships Carnival has. Not everyone is interested in huge ships with amusement park activities. And there's nothing wrong with that before anyone thinks that's what I'm saying. Just that it isn't for everyone. Carnival builds their ships at a nice pace in my opinion. When a new ship is released, it's a big deal. Not damn near everyday news.

It would be nice if they varied their itineraries more, but that's a whole other story. To your point, I disagree. I think they are "keeping up" just fine. Each cruiseline sets their own pace.

They have another ship coming out in 2018 as well. Another Vista class, not much has been said about it yet, but expect to hear more once Vista starts sailing. I don't mind the older ships getting the upgrades. Why spend more money for new ships when people will keep paying higher prices to sail on the older ships? Seems to make plenty of business sense to me, why go into debt to build newer bigger ships when the older ones will be just fine and cost 5-10% of a new ship.

Some pigs look pretty good with a little lipstick. :D

I suspect Carnival understands it business plan quite well, balancing capital expenditure with renovation costs to maintain its continued profitability in multi-year highs in sailing capacity.

Ships are not cars. They don't have to dispose of and get a new one after five years.

Then again, you have people that think a ship is a floating rust bucket if it's does not have Guy's over-greased burgers on it.

Edited by HamSammie

I'm wondering why Carnival keeps upgrading and refurbing these old ships. Many times things are undone. They have only Built one new ship since the breeze in 2012 and that's the Vista four years later. I think they would be wise to put those millions in profits into new ships. Their competitors sure are. They keep putting lipstick on a pig

This is just a symptom of the disposable society we've become. Ads tell people they need to upgrade their phones every single year; new tech comes out, throw out the old and buy new. Don't bother with leftovers - go out for another meal. Don't wear last year's jacket, shoes, purse, blouse, etc. You absolutely must have new! Just go ahead and buy what you want, when you want it!

There's nothing wrong with refurbishing what's still good at it's core.

Of course, this comes from someone with a 4 year old phone, a 5 year old kindle, a home computer that still runs Vista, and I've had the same winter coat for the past 10 years (I replaced the zipper a couple of years ago though).

Edited by meatloafsfan

I prefer the smaller older ships than these ridiculously large mega ships. That many people in a confined space does not appeal to me at all. Also, if I want to ride rides or partake in a circus show... i'll go to an amusement park.

The Vista looks nice, but I have no desire to sail on it anytime soon.

Of course, this comes from someone with a 4 year old phone, a 5 year old kindle, a home computer that still runs Vista

As someone who does it for a living I would suggest putting Linux Mint on the Vista machine... better operating system, will run fine on the system and is not Microsoft....

This is just a symptom of the disposable society we've become. Ads tell people they need to upgrade their phones every single year; new tech comes out, throw out the old and buy new. Don't bother with leftovers - go out for another meal. Don't wear last year's jacket, shoes, purse, blouse, etc. You absolutely must have new! Just go ahead and buy what you want, when you want it!

Of course, this comes from someone with a 4 year old phone, a 5 year old kindle, a home computer that still runs Vista, and I've had the same winter coat for the past 10 years (I replaced the zipper a couple of years ago though).

Ditto! I can't bring myself to replace the enormous box tv in my bedroom because, hey, it still works! It's 20 years old!

The only place I see them falling behind is in solo supplements and drink packages. Although they are working on those packages.

Yeah they have no clue and need to keep up. That's why they are the number one cruise line on the planet. I believe they only have 1 less ship than Royal and many more than NCL. But if you add in all the subsidiaries they have 3 times as many ships. 2 new Hollland America ships coming soon plus another Princess and Aida has a couple plus another Vista class. They are building ships left and right.

Hmmm. Let's see. A $billion plus financing to build a new ship vs. a $100 mil to refurb. I think the math explains itself, particularly when bookings are solid.

Well said! People are so in debt, but have the newest of everything! Stop buying and save a buck.

I can afford two or three (or more) cruises on carnival to every cruise on other lines. I drove my old Pontiac for 15 years until it was gonna cost more to fix than it's worth. Now I have to pay for a new car and am glad I can still afford to cruise. ;)

Still wondering?