New Ships vs Old Ships...your thoughts

cruzin Phillis

I enjoy the dialogue and reviews here on CC. I feel that it is my duty to contribute to the thread daily! :D So I want to know if you prefer the older ships vs the new ones and why.

I myself am drawn to the newer ships as I like the bells and whistles (even though I do not utilize most of it). I guess I am nervous that there is not a lot to do on an older ship. However, the older ships do have some amazing port they call on!!

So you like to look at the stuff on the newer ships and you are afraid there is not enough to look at on the older ships?

I like the older ships. Not nearly as crowded and I only really use the ship add transportation.

The stuff I want to look at is in the ports of call.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I personally love the newer ships. But in comparison to older ships not having as much to do or see, that I don't agree with. They might look dated but there is just as much fun to be had. Especially since just about every older ship has had a 2.0 upgrade. I personally miss the Alchemy Bar on the newer ships since the upgrades went to the older ships. Ah well.

I would have agreed with your premise except then we sailed the Breeze.

So now we are sort of spoiled so that we have to look for cruises with certain things on the ship.

I also am not sure all of the older ships have amazing ports of call. In that regard both old and new Carnival ships seem to sail the same old, same old.

Can't imagine sailing a Fantasy class ship now. Spirit class probably.

I would have agreed with your premise except then we sailed the Breeze.

So now we are sort of spoiled so that we have to look for cruises with certain things on the ship.

I also am not sure all of the older ships have amazing ports of call. In that regard both old and new Carnival ships seem to sail the same old, same old.

Can't imagine sailing a Fantasy class ship now. Spirit class probably.

Thats what happened when we sailed on the Magic. I enjoy the ports as well but I also want to enjoy whats on the ship too.

I like somewhere in between, i.e. the New-ISH ships. I like the Bells and whistles of newer ships with all of their options, even though I probably won't use most of them. I just like the option of doing it, if I change my mind. With the older ships I worry about missing out. But that said, I also don't want to be on a ship with 10,000 people either that is so big that I am completely overwhelmed. As far as Carnival goes, I like Conquest class ships (especially with 2.0) as they have some upgrade Amenities but are not huge. I haven't been on anything on Carnival bigger than Conquest though. I am planning on going on Magic, Dream or Breeze at some point, just have not had the right situation to do so. It is also on my bucket list to do a mega-ship. I keep pricing Oasis but the prices are still too high for me.

Interesting discussion, we at times are certainly drawn to newer ships, yet (as long as they have balconies) have some older favorites as well. Whether it is familiarization, or other reasons, we enjoy getting back on them almost as much as the rush of a new ship.

I have as much of as an interest in how ships withing a class change, The most recent example of this is the Dream class. Once the Dream came out, they added things to the next ship Magic and then again Breeze. While for the most part these ships theoretically are identical, these subtle changes can make a pretty big difference in the ship experience. My 2 cents anyway.......

Strongly prefer the newer ships. Started on Fantasy class and shorter 4 day cruises and after two we preferred Conquest and minimum of 7 day cruises.

Certainly can't argue the days portion...... when we started (actually was a Holiday class ship - Celebration) it was 7 days then and we thought she was HUGE.

Like you I like the bells and whistles. And I also don't partake in most but I like the option. I like the newer décor also.

I do like the medium size ships. The new ships have soooo many people on them I think I would go nuts.

Price wise.. I can afford the more expensive ships and trips but I feel it a waste of my money so I tend to go for the less expensive options. I enjoy myself on all of them.

Certainly can't argue the days portion...... when we started (actually was a Holiday class ship - Celebration) it was 7 days then and we thought she was HUGE.

The bells and whistles of newer ships are nice and we were blown away by the very new Royal Princess last year best ship we have been on.

We didn't find the breeze to be crowded and any more so than any medium size ship. All the pool decks are crowded on sea days and all buffets were crowded at peak times. Otherwise there were generally normal sized crowds.

Funny the Fantasy class ship, which we consider older and smaller, are 70,000 ton, 800 feet long, lower to mid 2000 people ships.

The original cruise ships we sailed on in the 1970's were 15,000-18,000 ton, 600 foot long, 800-1100 passenger ships.

I have not been on a Carnival ship that is newer than the Conquest class. I have been on one Fantasy class, and had no issue with it, would go again, given the right price and number of days, plus itin. I have been on Triumph and Victory, and they really don't feel much older than the Conquest class.

I would love to go on Dream or Magic, and may Breeze too, but I am drawn by price, itinerary, and a limited window of travel dates, so far these ships have not got me to book. I am going on Splendor next, which entered service in 2008? I believe, so she will be my newest Carnival ship to date:)

So the age of the ship does not really matter to me, just the price, number of days, and the itinerary, as well as where it leaves from, and time of year.

I've only sailed Dream Class and Fantasy Class and much prefer the newer ships. I like that there are many more lunch places included, more open deck space, real balconies, more fun things like ropes course and Waterworks (yes, I know there is a sort of water area on some Fantasy ships) and the overall decor of the cabins and public spaces. We are sailing Vista in June and then doing a land trip in Summer 2017. I expect we will most likely cruise again in 2018 and will look to do either Magic or Vista. We still haven't done Southern Caribbean and want to experience that itinerary.

Our first two cruises were aboard the Fantasy, followed by the Triumph, Conquest, Freedom and then, the latest was the Dream this past November. While we have enjoyed each of these, I would have to say that the Conquest class has been my favorite, thus far. I'm looking forward to sailing on the Breeze at some point, but we definitely enjoy the larger ships over the size of the Fantasy class. We also prefer 7+ day cruises so there's no desire to sail on a Fantasy class again.

Interesting discussion, we at times are certainly drawn to newer ships, yet (as long as they have balconies) have some older favorites as well. Whether it is familiarization, or other reasons, we enjoy getting back on them almost as much as the rush of a new ship.

I have as much of as an interest in how ships withing a class change, The most recent example of this is the Dream class. Once the Dream came out, they added things to the next ship Magic and then again Breeze. While for the most part these ships theoretically are identical, these subtle changes can make a pretty big difference in the ship experience. My 2 cents anyway.......

I have to agree with Jimbo, my sentiments as well..

In general I tend to prefer older tonnage. That said I was never a fan of Fantasy class - they feel too closed in. When I am at sea I want to feel connected to the ocean. For that reason (although I have not sailed one) I like the deck plan of Dream class - more open deck, an outdoor deck on can walk around, etc...

My favorite ships were older when I first cruised on them - and they were much smaller than the "medium sized" ships of today. They gave a sense of more personal service, tended to feel less crowded and offered a more sea going ambiance often missing on today's floating resorts.

One of the things I like about Carnival today is their dedication to the older ships by upgrading services and amenities. I feel like RCCL is beginning to over size their vessels and thus close people off from the sea while Carnival, on their new builds seems to be opening the ships up to the outdoors more and more. Sort of a role reversal.

My favorite cruise lines continue to be HAL and Celebrity for the ambiance, higer dedication to personalized service and more subdued décor.

The Conquest class of ship with the 2.0 upgrades is my favorite. Just the right size and layout with most of the current amenities.

I have been on the Fantasy class ships and I still enjoy cruising on them. They are nicely maintained and still good for the shorter cruises. I may be booking a

7 day cruise on Fascination (a Fantasy class ship) out of San Juan for 2017. In this case the date and itinerary works for me and it is a great price even with the travel to San Juan. :cool:

The smallest Carnival ship we have been on is the Spirit class (Legend). We have been on all larger classes since the first one. My husband still says the Legend was his favorite, so our next is on the Pride. Hopefully we can determine if that's his favorite class or it was because it was his first.

The bells and whistles of newer ships are nice and we were blown away by the very new Royal Princess last year best ship we have been on.

We prefer the new ships as well. Cruised the Royal Princess this year and we mostly loved it. Wish it had a full outside promenade deck. Back to Carnival next year on the Magic.

Are favorite is the Spirit class ships. Feels less crowded. Yes there are less people compared to dream class ships, but the spirit class ships just seem to have places around to escape the crowds if you want too.

Edited by l2f

I like somewhere in between, i.e. the New-ISH ships. I like the Bells and whistles of newer ships with all of their options, even though I probably won't use most of them. I just like the option of doing it, if I change my mind. With the older ships I worry about missing out. But that said, I also don't want to be on a ship with 10,000 people either that is so big that I am completely overwhelmed. As far as Carnival goes, I like Conquest class ships (especially with 2.0) as they have some upgrade Amenities but are not huge. I haven't been on anything on Carnival bigger than Conquest though. I am planning on going on Magic, Dream or Breeze at some point, just have not had the right situation to do so. It is also on my bucket list to do a mega-ship. I keep pricing Oasis but the prices are still too high for me.

Been on the Oasis and it was really nice but pricey. I liked the magic. It was a nice ship. Of course we try to cruise during off season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk