Staff "demanding" good ratings?

Realistically, an all 10 experience isn't likely. Things may be acceptable or quiet good, or great even, but 10's across the board would mean perfect / mind blowing.

0-9 = 0

Only 10 counts.

These are not honest surveys designed to solicit customer feedback. They are designed to punish workers; the company now has metrics to look at to deny raises and promotions.

I too hate the speech.

Totally rigged BS.

The best thing that you can do for someone is to give them honest, constructive criticism.

My feeling is that if someone is an 8 or 9, I'll give them a 10, because differentiating between a 9 and a 10 is really difficult.

But If someone is a 5 or 6, that's what they'll get.

It's important to recognize that everybody has a bad day, so if somebody is "off" on a given day, I'll give them a pass.

If they depend on high ratings for bonuses and raises and they truly deliver sub-par service, then after being passed over for those rewards, they will either realize that they are in the wrong business or they will step up their game for future cruisers.

It is in everybody's best interest to rate people honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If they do use "top box", keep that in mind for anything 7 and above. If it's bad, score them as such. If you had no problem, just give the 10 because anything less counts as a 0. Knowing this information, just go true or false. 0-9 is false. 10 is true. It's a crappy system that a lot of upper management in various industries insists on using because of some idiotic statistic saying loyalty is 75% higher for a top score than one point lower. And that's why they only count a 10 as a high score.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We experienced this on our Explorer repo about 18 months ago. It was unbearable. Then again last Spring on the Grandeur. Our waiter was very passive aggressive about it...it got to the point I felt harassed. I hadn't eaten dinner in the Windjammer in all our 15 cruises but I was so relieved when we started eating dinner there towards the end of our cruise last Spring. I felt like I had to go to the Windjammer for relief from being harassed.

I don't fill out the feedback reports anymore unless I have something special to report or say. I ignore the preasure from demanding crew members but also from Royal Caribbean with several reminder emails to work in relation with my vacation.

On our recent Anthem cruise, we were surprised to be asked straight out to give a 10 on the survey by practically everyone we encountered on the last day on board - including staff in the Windjammer, where the service suddenly improved from the previous 9 days.

My comment in the survey was that I wouldn't have space to list everyone who had asked us about the survey, and it was a shame that the service wasn't consistently good throughout the whole cruise as it was on the last day or two when the survey was in contention.

As echoed by a few others...many companies are getting away with things such as trying to hurt employee wages and benefits by setting up response criteria to a level of 10. We just purchased a new car, and even at the dealership they were almost begging us to answer every question with a 10 from the manufacturer survey, because anything below that would not help the dealership and/or sales person.

So, from now on, because these big companies are acting this way, I will put down 10's for everything even if the question and/or person doesn't deserve a 10, then take it up personally with that person or that persons boss, instead of it going to the corporate level where no one cares, and the survey cards get fed through a computer and spit out the same answers if I didn't mark a 10.

It has been this way for awhile. Wait until you encounter someone who gives you really bad service (thinking of a cabin attendant) all trip then tells you to give them the highest rating or you will be taking food from their children's mouth! Yep, had that a few years ago. I just smile, say OK, and then give them what they earned. Most of the time it is a top rating but not always.

You will get many reasons from different people as to why this occurs.

I shudder anytime someone from Reading posts! The last time I was there it snowed 26" that day. I had this scenario. It was the assistant waiter on Jewel in 2014. I'm generous with the ratings and even understanding of the people who spend more time than needed telling us what to rate them, but not on the last day when I couldn't get your attention for a week.

Just off Vision of the Seas and it was the worst that I have encountered of all our cruises. It got to a point where I stopped the two of them from going on and on and told them not to worry I'll give them a ten. Did not help. They continued on as if they were programed to finish there speech.

As others have said, I've been on about 20 or so Royal cruises and I started to hear this back in 2014. The first time I heard it, the waiter was utterly horrible. He was so bad that for the first time I didn't look forward to dinner - and tablemates decided to go to the windjammer a few times.

Fast forward to Oasis September 2015, I had a mediocre waiter and an awful assistant waiter. The waiter's speech was similar to that of the OPs but blamed the new assistant waiter for falling behind and not helping him out. But since he's new we need to give him a break and give them both 10s.

Now I don't want to see anybody losing their job, but I am ashamed at RCI for making a culture for their crew such as this! While there may be other companies that do this, it's a shameful practice. I do have to say that the 2 NCL cruises I've taken, none of this occurred and the service level was far superior to that of my recent RCI cruises...something they should think about at exec management and employee relations departments in order to possibly implement a culture change.

Just off Vision of the Seas and it was the worst that I have encountered of all our cruises. It got to a point where I stopped the two of them from going on and on and told them not to worry I'll give them a ten. Did not help. They continued on as if they were programed to finish there speech.

They are 'programmed' to finish their speech. And worse, if one of their supervisors hears them NOT complete the speech they have to hear about it from them directly. So they finish their speech.

Unfortunately this rating system is in many industries at home as well. From retailers to car dealer to your cable provider. Every week when I visit the ATM machine a little note comes out about a survey that I will be sent regarding the Auto Assisted Attendant service that I used at the ATM machine.

Companies want to take less time to actually 'review' their employees, and rely on these darn surveys to get some statistics to make a judgement that will determine that employees next raise. SAD!

I always give a 10 regardless of how the actual service is. I always write couldn't be better! Who cares. Give the employee the benefit of the doubt!

Why bother to tell them it's great service if it isn't. That would just allow poor performers to be rewarded along with the great ones and continue the thread after thread on Cruise Critic about how bad the service has gotten.

The begging for "10's" is the managers way to show how good they are at getting their people to provide excellent service, instead of doing their job of training, supervising, and correcting issues before they become problems.

Sounds like it's a pass-fail grading system. Either receive a passing grade of "10" or a failing grade of any other number. If the first time I hear from one of the servers, room attendants, or other staff asking is to tell me I need to give them an evaluation of 10 it will automatically lower the number I give them.

They could improve their evaluation if they came to me at the beginning and middle of the cruise, asking if there was any thing we needed or they could do for us. At the end of the cruise they could ask if there was any thing they could improve in their service.

As echoed by a few others...many companies are getting away with things such as trying to hurt employee wages and benefits by setting up response criteria to a level of 10. We just purchased a new car, and even at the dealership they were almost begging us to answer every question with a 10 from the manufacturer survey, because anything below that would not help the dealership and/or sales person.

So, from now on, because these big companies are acting this way, I will put down 10's for everything even if the question and/or person doesn't deserve a 10, then take it up personally with that person or that persons boss, instead of it going to the corporate level where no one cares, and the survey cards get fed through a computer and spit out the same answers if I didn't mark a 10.

I am seeing this more and more, companies are coaching their employees on how to "request'' evaluations. Even the hospital I work at has given us a "canned" speech they want us to give patients as we are discharging them. We have been told that our personal evaluations will depend on survey responses.

I refuse to do it.:D

Sherri:)

Just off the Indy and we got the same speech. Funny thing is, I don't remember every hearing that speech form any Carnival wait staff. This was our first time back to Royal in a number of years. Maybe this is just a "Royal" thing as far as the cruise lines goes?

Just off the Indy and we got the same speech. Funny thing is, I don't remember every hearing that speech form any Carnival wait staff. This was our first time back to Royal in a number of years. Maybe this is just a "Royal" thing as far as the cruise lines goes?

We have also heard the speech on Celebrity a few times, but not our last Celebrity cruise. Not sure if they stopped altogether or the waiter just didn't bother.

Realistically, an all 10 experience isn't likely. Things may be acceptable or quiet good, or great even, but 10's across the board would mean perfect / mind blowing.

0-9 = 0

Only 10 counts.

These are not honest surveys designed to solicit customer feedback. They are designed to punish workers; the company now has metrics to look at to deny raises and promotions.

I too hate the speech.

Totally rigged BS.

You may be right, I don't know, but along the same lines I just had my annual review with my Fortune 100 company where wages are frozen because of the stagnant economy. We also so an email today that said, "Sales are up 43% from last year, but 24 percent below plan."

On our recent RCI cruise I was taken aback when what I thought would be a short thank you and farewell from our waiter on the last night became a rant that was basically- I know I do a good job so I expect the ratings you give to all be 10- I don't want any rating lower- or I will not get my money. But I have done a good job so I know I can expect 10's.There is no excuse for any lower number... so that is what I will expect.

My tablemates and I were aghast at this tone.. then I went to our cabin where the steward we had really loved knocked on our door and said when he came in.. it has been pleasure serving you and I know you liked what I did because you told me ( we had and given him an extra tip mid cruise). So, I know I can ask you to please give me a 10 for my rating. It is very , very important for me to have that... " and as he said it tears filled his eyes.

I have been on more than a dozen cruises and never had staff beg for or demand high ratings... is some reign of terror going on.. is there some contest being held with cash incentives ? I saw our tablemates the next am and asked them if they heard similar from their steward and they had and were equally uncomfortable. I realize that English is not thefirst language of most staff, but it all sounds either abrasive or pathetic to me...

Whatever is prompting this behavior needs to be done away with ...

NEVER had any of those speeches either by cabin attendants or MTD staff.

OP has a point if it was presented to her that way. In about 15 cruises over three cruise lines (mostly Royal), I've never had anyone (waiter, steward) request a certain score.

That being said, their jobs DO depend on how well they're rated, and the cruise lines seem to find these hard working people to be easily replaceable. I've never had a reason not to give a top score.

On our recent RCI cruise I was taken aback when what I thought would be a short thank you and farewell from our waiter on the last night became a rant that was basically- I know I do a good job so I expect the ratings you give to all be 10- I don't want any rating lower- or I will not get my money. But I have done a good job so I know I can expect 10's.There is no excuse for any lower number... so that is what I will expect.

My tablemates and I were aghast at this tone.. then I went to our cabin where the steward we had really loved knocked on our door and said when he came in.. it has been pleasure serving you and I know you liked what I did because you told me ( we had and given him an extra tip mid cruise). So, I know I can ask you to please give me a 10 for my rating. It is very , very important for me to have that... " and as he said it tears filled his eyes.

I have been on more than a dozen cruises and never had staff beg for or demand high ratings... is some reign of terror going on.. is there some contest being held with cash incentives ? I saw our tablemates the next am and asked them if they heard similar from their steward and they had and were equally uncomfortable. I realize that English is not thefirst language of most staff, but it all sounds either abrasive or pathetic to me...

I've not had this happen to me on my cruises, but every time I goto a car dealership either to buy a car or get work done on a car, they demand "completely satisfied" on their surveys. The whole thing makes me want to write completely unsatisfied.

the title in your post is pure B.S. plain and simple......If you think for one second I believe one word of your post, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you!.......DEMAND is not the word to use. Asked, stressed the 10 score, yes sure. As you know by now from posters (or maybe you don"t) anything less than 10 might as well be a zero. That's what the crew is trying to impress on cruisers not in the know. Your post is misleading.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Edited by Thetrail