Departure Port New York in January

I am starting to research my next cruise for January 2017. We have always departed from Florida. I am considering departing from New York. What are the pros and cons - keeping in mind in will be mid January? I am a little concerned about the weather. Any advice would be appreciated!

Weather is a large issue, and also the fact that it will take at least a day and maybe longer to get to warm weather. So 2-4 days of your cruise will likely be too cold to be comfortable outside.

Edited by clarea

Having done a number of New York sailings in January, I think they are great. By early afternoon of the first sea day (just enough time to find your way around the ship) you will be in the 70+\- degree waters of the Gulf Stream, making things pretty nice on deck. Your last full day coming back will be chilly on deck - but people who tell you that a New York sailing in January means 4 cold days simply do not know what they are talking about.

Sure, it is great to have the whole cruise in warm waters, but avoiding the flight and pre-cruise motel is good also.

Guest maddycat
Two cons.

Cold the first day.

More expensive if you book a hotel.

Potential of snow.

Keith

You'd have the same worry about snow when flying from Canada to a southern port in January.

You'd have the same worry about snow when flying from Canada to a southern port in January.

Of course, if I had to fly to a port to cruise, I would be more inclined to fly to a Florida port for a January cruise than to New York - which, as a cruise port, only makes great sense for the probably 15,000,000 potential cruisers who live within a fairly easy drive. This, of course, makes me wonder why more lines do not tap into that market.

I am starting to research my next cruise for January 2017. We have always departed from Florida. I am considering departing from New York. What are the pros and cons - keeping in mind in will be mid January? I am a little concerned about the weather. Any advice would be appreciated!

We have taken several cruises from NYC in the winter. One December we were on the balcony for sail away in t-shirts. Once we had snow on the deck.

Yes the first day or so may be cooler but you must remember that the inside of the ship is climate controlled. You will be at sea and the day is packed with activities and you can explore the ship if it is new to you. You wander around and meet lots of your shipmates. The same on the return...but you get to do all those things that you may miss if you were out in the sun.

Completely depends on "how" and "why" you cruise. If you are stopping in Florida -- the beaches can be cool but that is relative. Coming from New England the water temperature of 70 may be to cold for the locals but great for us.

I would suggest doing research on the ports you will be visiting to see how their weather will be and how it fits in what you like to do in port.

To me, any vacation is better than being at work ...so what if it is cool. (Do prefer the sun but I'll take what I can get.)

I sailed Anthem out of Bayonne NJ on January 3rd this year. Temperature was in the 60 degrees on the 4th and I was wearing shorts on the ship. The return to NJ was not as pleasurable, the last sea day was not a day to be on the outside decks.

This year there was a major snowstorm on January 23rd with over 20 inches of snow in this area. There was one other day this winter with perhaps 5-6 inches of snow. Other than those two days, this area had no other days with snow accumulations that required shoveling...not in all of January but the whole winter.

January 2015 was also a mild month with not much snow and the year prior when the Super Bowl was held in north Jersey, again January had little snow

(to my recollection).

I work outside and I have noticed the trend recently has been less snow in this area in January(discounting the truly significant snowstorm on 1/23/2016 :()