Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

Not changing our plans. 2 Europe cruises booked.

If you live your life in fear, what sort of life would we have?

Because someone won't go to Europe during these tumultuous times? I'm pretty sure no one is living their life in fear just because they're avoiding Europe or any other place. Make sure you don't bump your head riding that high horse. :rolleyes:

The OP did correct herself. She initially said "ban" but corrected her post to say "alert."

I think we are wise to be aware of the situation in any area we are visiting. I am also very stressed about the warning and we are considering canceling our Med. cruise as well. If we do, we will still travel, but somewhere that is less of a hotbed right now.

We are waffling on this and have 10 days until our fare is nonrefundable. I doubt much will change between now and then.

On one hand, I do not want the terrorists to "win" by keeping us away. Chances are, nothing will happen and we will be fine. But, other attacks will happen and wouldn't it be better to lessen the chances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time by avoiding places with higher risks? I would not travel to the middle east or northern Africa right now. Added to the worry, we are taking our kids. If I want to put myself at risk, that is one thing... but if something happened to my kids I would never forgive myself (If I made it).

Things can happen anywhere. Car accidents happen all the time, people die... yet we still drive. Etc etc, I get it. Cities are dangerous. But the Department of State has intelligence and if they are saying attacks are imminent, isn't it wise to avoid those areas? But oh how I want to go on this cruise... we have a suite... Greece, Italy, France...

I don't know!! Let us know what you decide, OP. I think your concerns are valid and you have to look at the reality of the world today. We all do. We have to assess risk, that is just smart.

I am retired military and I have been around two terrorist bombings. The first at Ramstein AB Germany in 1981 and The Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia in 1996. I was very near both bombings when they happened but far enough away not to have been injured. Don't get me wrong when these things happen it scares the Bejezzus out of you, but in my case I have never stopped traveling anywhere I want to go. You can be as vigilant as you can be but if this happens it happens and does not matter what part of the world you are in and you don't know when these nuts will do something as in the World Trade Center Bombings. All we can really do is hope and pray that we are not in the wrong place at the wrong time!

The OP did correct herself. She initially said "ban" but corrected her post to say "alert."

I think we are wise to be aware of the situation in any area we are visiting. I am also very stressed about the warning and we are considering canceling our Med. cruise as well. If we do, we will still travel, but somewhere that is less of a hotbed right now.

We are waffling on this and have 10 days until our fare is nonrefundable. I doubt much will change between now and then.

On one hand, I do not want the terrorists to "win" by keeping us away. Chances are, nothing will happen and we will be fine. But, other attacks will happen and wouldn't it be better to lessen the chances of being in the wrong place at the wrong time by avoiding places with higher risks? I would not travel to the middle east or northern Africa right now. Added to the worry, we are taking our kids. If I want to put myself at risk, that is one thing... but if something happened to my kids I would never forgive myself (If I made it).

Things can happen anywhere. Car accidents happen all the time, people die... yet we still drive. Etc etc, I get it. Cities are dangerous. But the Department of State has intelligence and if they are saying attacks are imminent, isn't it wise to avoid those areas? But oh how I want to go on this cruise... we have a suite... Greece, Italy, France...

I don't know!! Let us know what you decide, OP. I think your concerns are valid and you have to look at the reality of the world today. We all do. We have to assess risk, that is just smart.

The Med isn't really a "hot bed", it's pretty fine, I live here. A lot of people from this side of the Atlantic say that the United States is a "hot bed" because of all the mass shootings in recent years. There are some places you understandably shouldn't travel, like Syria, or Iraq, however Europe is a big place and it's very safe all things considered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are factions in Europe that HATE Americans....do you want to be a target? There you go....make a choice. I'm with your husband...cancel the cruise...don't be a target.

Yes...you can have accidents here, in our own country...but the folks over there WANT TO KILL US....your choice.

The State Department has a free program for registering your travel with the nearest US Embassies and Consulates. We've done this in the past with trips to Europe, Africa, and Asia. It might make you and your families feel a little better about traveling.

The link is:

https://step.state.gov/step/

How would you do this with a cruise? Enter each port separately?

There are factions in Europe that HATE Americans....do you want to be a target? There you go....make a choice. I'm with your husband...cancel the cruise...don't be a target.

Yes...you can have accidents here, in our own country...but the folks over there WANT TO KILL US....your choice.

You've been watching too much Fox News...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo!!

I have far more to be concerned about riding the subways in NYC every day with the massive increase in slashings and stabbings we're experiencing than the remote possibility that something happens while I'm on my upcoming trip.

When it's your time, it's your time, period. Staying home and cowering in your house won't keep your time from coming - just maybe change the way it does.

Well said! Our best cruises have been the Mediterranean and the Baltic and we have had great land vacations in Europe. In fact, we were in London right after they rebuilt their subway after a terrorist attack. Never felt safer using their metro system. We would not hesitate to return to Europe.

Changing your plans only lets them win.
that's why Obama went to that baseball game in Cuba instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

You have better odds of getting in a car crash on your way to the airport then being in a terrorist bombing. Is standing in St. Peter's Square more dangerous than standing in Times Square???? Or on a beach in the Caribbean or Mexico?

But if you are afraid, call the cruise line and who knows, they might re-book you on another cruise on this side of the pond with no penalty.

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

Not sure what to do .... Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry initially put ban instead of alert

"

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

NO..........:rolleyes:

Looked the stuff on terrorism on my description of coverage at Travel Guard.

Must be terrorist activity w/in 30 days in a city on your itinerary.

I don't know if they'd cover something like a port stop in Le Harve, and shore excursion in Paris.

For those interested in the STEP program listed above, I have contacted them for information on registering a trip if it is a cruise with different ports and no hotels. I will report back what I hear.

I've done that before. I think they want the embassy's of each place we stop.

I did New York to Bermuda on 09/30/01, 19 days after the 9/11 bombings. We switched ports from New York to a Naval base in Philly (i think it was). RCL upped the security at check in and that was that really. Granted Bermuda wasn't a hot spot of possibly terrorist activity, I did get the feeling that everyone was of the "keep calm and carry on" mentality. I wouldn't change plans because of something that happened elsewhere, just be vigilant and enjoy yourself. Don't let them win, they want us to cower and not leave our homes.