Princess Excursions with baby

sofsolnanny

Not a knee jerk reaction at all. I just suggested his attitude sound like they did not want children anywhere nit that they did. I have been subjected to it and realize that the parents will do everything in their power to stop it.

Seriously? I've been in many restaurants, stores and church where parents don't even seem to realize that their child is screaming non stop.

In addition, even if they do everything in their power the child still might calm down for a while.

It's unfair to expect a child that age to be quiet and keep a clean diaper for a long tour so why put yourself through that stress?

Edited by FritzG

I will bring up another point and I expect to be flamed on this. All children and even well behaved ones misbehave and cry at times. What right to do have to subject the rest of the bus passengers to a crying or ornery child - especially if they are trying to hear the tour leader talking about what the bus is passing. Also, since your child will not be potty trained, where do you plan to change her if all the seats on the bus are filled.

DON

I agree.

What right do you have to demand others you do not know to provide YOU with a noise free tour? Sounds like you are against having children anywhere you are at. Why not demand they not be allowed in dining areas and any general public areas so you will not be disturbed. Also while you are at it why not demand they only allow quiet children to be around you that do not have to have their diaper changed. Better yet why do you not go to places and events that post no children allowed so you will not have to be around them.

Uh, one(1) kid can ruin the experience of forty(40) adults who have paid a lot of money for the experience.

I think the bottom line is no pax has control of the other paxs on the ship, bus, etc. As such, why argue about it? If Princess says it's ok for infants/toddlers to accompany the parent on an excursion - so be it. If you feel a baby/toddler ruined your excursion, take it up with Princess and demand a refund, etc. There is nothing to be gained by posting snarky comments about people with children, etc. We don't have control of other people.

My own personal story - I had to take my (then) infant from China back to Denver. I adopted her in China and the only way I could get back to the USA was to take the very long flight back to SFO then another one to DEN. My kid DID cry - she was scared, tired, etc. The paxs around me were the best people imaginable. They took turns carrying her up and down the aisle, played with her, etc. I didn't ask anyone for any help, mind you - and apologized to them before the flight took off. I was at the end of the most grueling three-week trip of my life, sleep deprived, and getting a little sick. These strangers helped out a new mother with a frightened baby (baby had a slight cold and was crying because her ears hurt a little). I didn't ask for anyone's help - in fact I brought little presents I purchased to gave them to the paxs. All they wanted was a photo of DD smiling. DD did calm down and slept a great deal of the time (a man voluntarily moved to a seat across the aisle to give me more space and brought water, etc. to us during the flight). I still think of these great people seven years later. It's amazing what a kind gesture or a smile can do. I think about that when I sit next to a family with a baby on a flight, etc. Instead of fuming, I offer to hold the baby, play with her/him. Sometimes a little kindness is all that is needed. Off my soapbox now. :)

Taking a bus tour and having to fly home are very different situations and unless you could swim you had no choice. I'm glad the OP has decided to take another route. When my grandkids were little we took a private tour with our group. When the kids got a little antsy we were able to stop and let them, well him, run for a few minutes. It was a nice break point as it was a small park that we would have missed and even the adults enjoyed that mini stop.

CI66774: Wonderful story.

I was once on a plane where a mother was flying alone with a very little one in her lap. That left zero place for her to put the baby when eating, going to the bathroom. It was impossible for her to sleep. At one point I decided it wasn't fair for her to not be able to do these things. I don't remember where we were flying to/from but I do remember it was a long flight. I told her I would happily hold the little one (it actually was my pleasure because I am a sucker for a baby) while she ate her meals and took a potty break. She was so greatful. I'm not telling the story to get me a pat on the back. I'm telling it so if others are ever in a position like I was that maybe they might want to offer.

On one flight there was a mother traveling alone and had three little ones. Don't know how she survived.

Random acts of kindness are always great.

NotEntirelyNormal - I agree. I wouldn't (and didn't) take DD on a cruise, let alone, a cruise excursion, until she was old enough to register for the kids' club. To this day (she's seven now), she has absolutely no interest in accompanying me on any excursion. She would rather stay in the club and play with more interesting sorts. :-) She's accompanied me on two 26-day T/As and three shorter cruises. We always have people approaching, telling me how well-behaved she is. However, I did have an experience once where she and a little boy were dancing in the piazza just minding their own business. A women put her hands on my child and told her to get off the floor. I told the woman if she ever laid hands on my child again, I was going to kick her rather large behind. Suffice to say, the woman never came close to me or my DD again. That was an example of an adult having no right to tell a child (or anyone, for that matter) to get out of "their space." I paid full fare for my DD and she was entitled to dance like everyone else.

However, I did have an experience once where she and a little boy were dancing in the piazza just minding their own business. A women put her hands on my child and told her to get off the floor. I told the woman if she ever laid hands on my child again, I was going to kick her rather large behind. Suffice to say, the woman never came close to me or my DD again. That was an example of an adult having no right to tell a child (or anyone, for that matter) to get out of "their space." I paid full fare for my DD and she was entitled to dance like everyone else.

Wow! You handled that well. Not sure I would have.

I have never taken babies on a cruise, but I can't imagine the struggles with the needs of a little one. I have seen parents with little ones, sometimes even two or three and can't wrap my head around how they cope in a cabin. They must have to take a mini or suite to have room to move, and a tub to bathe the little ones. Going ashore, less taking a tour, I can't imagine having to take strollers, bags for bottles, diapers, and changing areas? UGH! I am sure a lot of new parents will tell me that its no problem for them to take the little ones with them. However, having been there, done that, with my own (no cruises though), I would prefer to leave them with Grandma and enjoy my cruise as a couple....

What right do you have to demand others you do not know to provide YOU with a noise free tour? Sounds like you are against having children anywhere you are at. Why not demand they not be allowed in dining areas and any general public areas so you will not be disturbed. Also while you are at it why not demand they only allow quiet children to be around you that do not have to have their diaper changed. Better yet why do you not go to places and events that post no children allowed so you will not have to be around them.

OMG.....filling my popcorn bag.....:D

I have never taken babies on a cruise, but I can't imagine the struggles with the needs of a little one. I have seen parents with little ones, sometimes even two or three and can't wrap my head around how they cope in a cabin. They must have to take a mini or suite to have room to move, and a tub to bathe the little ones. Going ashore, less taking a tour, I can't imagine having to take strollers, bags for bottles, diapers, and changing areas? UGH! I am sure a lot of new parents will tell me that its no problem for them to take the little ones with them. However, having been there, done that, with my own (no cruises though), I would prefer to leave them with Grandma and enjoy my cruise as a couple....

A couple of things. First, why does everyone assume that there is a Grandma to watch the kids. Or - that the grandparents want to do it. Working grandparents get the same vacation a year as the parents. What makes you think they want to stay home and babysit so YOU can go on a vacation taking away their right to have a yearly vacation.

Second, as a parent with young children the only time we get to spend with our kids is before work, after work and then the kid goes to sleep. A

vacation even dragging all that crap might be the only time those young parents get to spend some quality time with their kid. To them, dragging all that crap might be priceless.

When your kids were little, did you never take them to the park? This might be one of the few times a year that this is possible for them.

Uh, one(1) kid can ruin the experience of forty(40) adults who have paid a lot of money for the experience.

Agree, and that is why we are leaving our kids AND grandkids at home when we sail on the Regal in two weeks [emoji16]

Edited by 4cats4me

A couple of things. First, why does everyone assume that there is a Grandma to watch the kids. Or - that the grandparents want to do it. Working grandparents get the same vacation a year as the parents. What makes you think they want to stay home and babysit so YOU can go on a vacation taking away their right to have a yearly vacation.

Second, as a parent with young children the only time we get to spend with our kids is before work, after work and then the kid goes to sleep. A

vacation even dragging all that crap might be the only time those young parents get to spend some quality time with their kid. To them, dragging all that crap might be priceless.

When your kids were little, did you never take them to the park? This might be one of the few times a year that this is possible for them.

Agree, and that is why we are leaving our kids AND grandkids at home when we sail on the Regal in two weeks [emoji16]

Seems like we do have opposite opinions.........whatever works for you!

My comment "grandma" was just meant as a "loving family member"

And YES, I took my three anywhere I had to go, and I HAD no car, we took bus' both local and long distance's. Had to cart stroller, bags, bottles, food, snacks and everything else we would need. Went to the local zoo, parks, waterfront, amusement parks, you get the picture....but it didn't cost me 3 to 5 grand.

I feel compelled to point out that all OP was asking was whether they needed a car seat or not, but this thread has turned into an indictment against them and every other child on earth. :rolleyes: Yes, there are some bad kids, but guess what? There are good kids, too. Let's stop lecturing OP on doing something she never said she was going to do in the first place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was not lecturing the OP. Perhaps you should read the thread again.