Princess Excursions with baby

sofsolnanny

Hello all,

looking to book an excursion to Sintra and Cascais with Emerald Princess when she docks in Lisbon. My niece wants to book but is not sure of seating arrangements for her daughter who is 13 months old. Do the tour buses provide child seats or would they expect child to sit on your lap.

Thanks in advance.

I will bring up another point and I expect to be flamed on this. All children and even well behaved ones misbehave and cry at times. What right to do have to subject the rest of the bus passengers to a crying or ornery child - especially if they are trying to hear the tour leader talking about what the bus is passing. Also, since your child will not be potty trained, where do you plan to change her if all the seats on the bus are filled.

DON

I will bring up another point and I expect to be flamed on this. All children and even well behaved ones misbehave and cry at times. What right to do have to subject the rest of the bus passengers to a crying or ornery child - especially if they are trying to hear the tour leader talking about what the bus is passing. Also, since your child will not be potty trained, where do you plan to change her if all the seats on the bus are filled.

DON

Since you brought it up I'm sure many would agree. ;)

I agree!

I will never forget when I was "that" mother over thirty years ago. My son chose the long part of the HOHO bus ride in DC to have a shrieking, inconsolable meltdown. I am sure my apologies only went so far. At the first stop we got to, we hopped off, got him happy again and took the subway back to the hotel for naps and pool. Lesson learned!

If your niece chooses to bring her toddler, I hope she has an exit strategy if her child melts down. Luckily the longest part of the trip appears to be about 45 minutes.

Hello all,

looking to book an excursion to Sintra and Cascais with Emerald Princess when she docks in Lisbon. My niece wants to book but is not sure of seating arrangements for her daughter who is 13 months old. Do the tour buses provide child seats or would they expect child to sit on your lap.

Thanks in advance.

Why not contact Princess and ask what they do about kids and seating?

My sons first cruise will be in October and we aren't booking excursions for several reasons, some of which have already been mentioned.

DON

What right do you have to demand others you do not know to provide YOU with a noise free tour? Sounds like you are against having children anywhere you are at. Why not demand they not be allowed in dining areas and any general public areas so you will not be disturbed. Also while you are at it why not demand they only allow quiet children to be around you that do not have to have their diaper changed. Better yet why do you not go to places and events that post no children allowed so you will not have to be around them.

What right do you have to demand others you do not know to provide YOU with a noise free tour? Sounds like you are against having children anywhere you are at. Why not demand they not be allowed in dining areas and any general public areas so you will not be disturbed. Also while you are at it why not demand they only allow quiet children to be around you that do not have to have their diaper changed. Better yet why do you not go to places and events that post no children allowed so you will not have to be around them.

Wow....that is a knee-jerk reaction. No where did the poster say they were 'against having children anywhere' they are at. Having to be subjected to a screaming child in a confined environment is a VALID concern. Is that how YOU want to spent precious vacation hours?? I am a mother and grandmother, and I would never dream of taking a toddler on most cruise excursions. When my kids were little, we did appropriate activities while taking others' feelings into account. What is a 13-month old child going to get out of a long bus tour?

And yes, I DO think people have the right to not be subjected to dirty diapers in a bus or other confined space.

What right do you have to demand others you do not know to provide YOU with a noise free tour?

I think it is everyone's duty to be courteous to their fellow travelers. That means not talking during shows, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, using inside voices, holding the doors for others, taking the stairs if you are able and letting those that need it use the elevator, etc. These are things I taught my first graders because that makes everyone feel respected and calm. Since a toddler cannot control themselves, it is up the the parents to plan to be courteous to the others around them.

I do not know how long that particular excursion is, but if it is longer than a half day my guess is that it would be difficult with/for a child that young due to naps, feeding, changing diapers, etc.

I have never seen child seats provided on an excursion, when we cruised with daughter and young granddaughters, daughter brought her own (that was Caribbean cruising so much easier)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

I think the general cruise line and tour coach policy with tickets is that they sell tickets for "seats" and under a certain age they travel on a lap therefore not occupying a seat or ticket just need to know passenger totals. This is free of charge with most operators, obviously you need to specifically check this with excursion desk or beforehand with cruise line and tour operator. It may be possible to buy a seat, often this is not possible on line as it is not enabled with an infant until they reach the compulsory seat required age. As a general tactic on cruise line coach tours, I have found that if there is more than one coach on the same tour stay at the back end of the queue to board as they always tend to fill each bus sequentially. When they get to the last bus there are typically a few spare seats. Spare seats are not usually available on the first buses as they fill them up. This may facilitate a changing area, in Europe often tour buses have a downstairs toilet which is another changing option. Pushchairs and all other stuff goes in the vehicles trunk so you need to split stuff you might need on board and deposit what you do not. Journey length needs assessing for convenience all round.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I'll bet OP is really glad she asked for advice. :rolleyes: Putting aside the irrelevant remarks about crying babies and dirty diapers, the best course is to call Princess and ask specifically about this tour. If they can't give you a definitive answer, try asking over on the ports boards. There is a useful family cruising forum here on CC, and they probably know a lot. The youngest we have taken on a cruise was 10 months, and we didn't do a lot of excursions (it was a short cruise) but in Mexico, we got in a cab and baby immediately fell asleep on my lap. :)

Most buses do not even have seatbelts, so I wouldn't think a child seat would be provided or required for a toddler. You may want to do some research on the local carseat laws. Since there is a charge for the child, she should receive her own seat, but would probably like to sit in a lap as well.

I never cruised with my kids until I felt that they would be able to behave while eating in the dining room, but that's only because I wanted to be able to relax while on vacation. It annoys me when people automatically assume that children are going to be loud or unruly. Families with young children have every right to go on vacation. Children won't always behave perfectly, but also I've been around plenty of obnoxious adults who could have used an authority figure correcting their behavior. As for the dirty diapers...really? I suppose any incontinent seniors, those with IBS, or gas issues should also avoid traveling on bus excursions?

Certainly try to be considerate of fellow passengers. Anyone traveling with a small child should take into consideration the child's temperament. If you don't think they will do well, don't take them. It would be too stressful for you. If you do think they will do well, just make sure you have plenty to keep them occupied. Bring snacks and a smartphone with games the little one will be happy playing (with the volume muted or very, very low).

DON

We'll be traveling with a 9 mo and my son agrees. He said he will not take his daughter on a Princess excursion and ruin the trip for everyone else. We are booking private excursions.

Denise

Wow....that is a knee-jerk reaction. No where did the poster say they were 'against having children anywhere' they are at. Having to be subjected to a screaming child in a confined environment is a VALID concern. Is that how YOU want to spent precious vacation hours?? I am a mother and grandmother, and I would never dream of taking a toddler on most cruise excursions. When my kids were little, we did appropriate activities while taking others' feelings into account. What is a 13-month old child going to get out of a long bus tour?

And yes, I DO think people have the right to not be subjected to dirty diapers in a bus or other confined space.

Not a knee jerk reaction at all. I just suggested his attitude sound like they did not want children anywhere nit that they did. I have been subjected to it and realize that the parents will do everything in their power to stop it. What if it was a temper tantrum by a child older than 13 months? What if the child is kicking the back of a seat? When was the last time you were subjected to a dirty diaper in a confined bus ir a confined space? Does it happen? yes Does that mean sll children should be kept from taking excursion? So parents with 13 month olds should not take excursions that they would get something out of because the child won't?

Edited by Potstech

As a few people already mentioned, there are options for private excursions. Why subject an entire busload of people to the possibilities of a child whose discomfort cannot be kept under control? No one is saying not to enjoy your cruise and the ports, just consider others who also have paid a good sum of money and perhaps a once in a lifetime vacation.

I'm going to throw in my two cents as well. I have traveled with kids and grandkids as young as 6 months. When we were in Australia we took a Princess excursion. DGS was 3 at the time. He had a meltdown. Thankfully I could take him into the bathroom and let him get over it. It muffled it somewhat but after that we have always taken private tours. I usually cruise with a group of friends and family and that almost always includes little ones. I would not recommend it either.

To answer the OPs question. Princess requires you to tell them you are taking an infant. The child will probably be free. They just want a headcount. Unless you pay the adult fare your child is not entitled to a seat. Even if you did have a car seat there would be no way to secure it.

Hi all and thank you for all of your replies. My niece decided this morning not to book the excursion , main reason that she would not feel safe with baby on her lap. Think they are going to see how much private hire is to the Cascais ( beach) area costs, and meet up with the rest of us there----providing its not raining!.

Not a knee jerk reaction at all. I just suggested his attitude sound like they did not want children anywhere nit that they did. I have been subjected to it and realize that the parents will do everything in their power to stop it. What if it was a temper tantrum by a child older than 13 months? What if the child is kicking the back of a seat? When was the last time you were subjected to a dirty diaper in a confined bus ir a confined space? Does it happen? yes Does that mean sll children should be kept from taking excursion? So parents with 13 month olds should not take excursions that they would get something out of because the child won't?

The poster to whom you are responding could have stated his concerns differently. Some people have been without kids for quite a few years and while they could turn out theirs, they have a hard time tuning out others later in life. That being said, you took the bait and have responded in like manner.

Courtesy is a lost art, both traveling and online. It is fair to express an opinion that a 13 month old might have a tough time on a tour of this length. Yes, I have been subject to dirty diapers on a tour bus, in a restaurant and at a concert. Children have temper tantrums. True enough. Why put them in situations that are guaranteed to cause them? I flew back from China with three children kicking the back of my seat. I can tell you it was not a pleasant experience. When, after a couple of hours, I finally expressed to the parents that their kids' behavior was disruptive, they said it was the only way they could keep their kids quiet. Seriously? Kicking the seat in front is the preferred method to entertain the children? So, the next time it happened, I turned around and told the kid to stop. Hollering ensued and I told the kid to cut that out, too. Not rude. . .just used an calm voice that brooked no nonsense. Kids got it. . .not just the one kicking at that point.

If the parents feel it is their right to disrupt the entire bus because it's their right to learn something even if the child suffers and the rest of the people on the tour suffer, so be it. We can only control our own behavior. But, there's that courtesy thing again. One person's right ends where another's begins. Sometimes, it helps to consider others.

There is a whole lot of mention of rights this and rights that. Guess what folks those rights only exist in your mind. They do no exist. The parents of the baby have just as much right to take the excursion as anyone else. They have just as much right to respect as anyone else does. For someone to tell the parents that they are not wanted on an escursion is being the rudest and most disrespectful a person can be. Which of you will face the parents directly and in person and tell them to not go as they are not wanted. Probably not a single person posting here. Again get over it.

Edited by Potstech

If the parents feel it is their right to disrupt the entire bus because it's their right to learn something even if the child suffers and the rest of the people on the tour suffer, so be it. We can only control our own behavior. But, there's that courtesy thing again. One person's right ends where another's begins. Sometimes, it helps to consider others.

I feel compelled to point out that all OP was asking was whether they needed a car seat or not, but this thread has turned into an indictment against them and every other child on earth. :rolleyes: Yes, there are some bad kids, but guess what? There are good kids, too. Let's stop lecturing OP on doing something she never said she was going to do in the first place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the bottom line is no pax has control of the other paxs on the ship, bus, etc. As such, why argue about it? If Princess says it's ok for infants/toddlers to accompany the parent on an excursion - so be it. If you feel a baby/toddler ruined your excursion, take it up with Princess and demand a refund, etc. There is nothing to be gained by posting snarky comments about people with children, etc. We don't have control of other people.

My own personal story - I had to take my (then) infant from China back to Denver. I adopted her in China and the only way I could get back to the USA was to take the very long flight back to SFO then another one to DEN. My kid DID cry - she was scared, tired, etc. The paxs around me were the best people imaginable. They took turns carrying her up and down the aisle, played with her, etc. I didn't ask anyone for any help, mind you - and apologized to them before the flight took off. I was at the end of the most grueling three-week trip of my life, sleep deprived, and getting a little sick. These strangers helped out a new mother with a frightened baby (baby had a slight cold and was crying because her ears hurt a little). I didn't ask for anyone's help - in fact I brought little presents I purchased to gave them to the paxs. All they wanted was a photo of DD smiling. DD did calm down and slept a great deal of the time (a man voluntarily moved to a seat across the aisle to give me more space and brought water, etc. to us during the flight). I still think of these great people seven years later. It's amazing what a kind gesture or a smile can do. I think about that when I sit next to a family with a baby on a flight, etc. Instead of fuming, I offer to hold the baby, play with her/him. Sometimes a little kindness is all that is needed. Off my soapbox now. :)