Alaska and Pregnant

amindu

Hi, I am planning a cruise for May 2017. if everything goes as planned, my wife will be say 4-5 mos pregnant. To those who have done Alaska before is there are lot of adventure, and hiking, and walking, and hills/rocks terrain to go on that would be dangerous to her or child?

Please let us know your thoughts before we book. Most of the activities i am assuming is just sightseeing and watching, but not entirely sure if that is true.

YOU choose the activities and excursions so they will be whatever you want them to be. If you want to do scenic excursions with no activity, that's what you choose. Can't imagine you'll choose ice trekking on a glacier. Some common sense .

You need to do some research for each port and decide what you want to see and do, then consult with your health care provider about what is appropriate.

I guess i should ask, are we missing out on anything if there are activities that are not recommended for someone who is pregnant (like walking on glacier)

Alaska isn't a binary, yes/no, on/off, black/white destination. Yes if you don't go walking on a glacier, you will miss that, but there are other things you will get to do instead.

Regardless of what you choose to do, there will be other things you can't do, because you are committed to your choice, right? So you go flightseeing, you miss out on something else. Or you do a whale watch and miss out on something else. Pregnant or not, you will be missing out on something. But you will be experiencing something else. :)

Alaska isn't a binary, yes/no, on/off, black/white destination. Yes if you don't go walking on a glacier, you will miss that, but there are other things you will get to do instead.

Regardless of what you choose to do, there will be other things you can't do, because you are committed to your choice, right? So you go flightseeing, you miss out on something else. Or you do a whale watch and miss out on something else. Pregnant or not, you will be missing out on something. But you will be experiencing something else. :)

Gotcha, thanks makes sense. is this a type of cruise that would be ok for one to do or are there others that would be more suitable? We cannot do the Caribbean for obvious reasons, and have cancelled our southern Caribbean one, and looking for a replacement.

Gotcha, thanks makes sense. is this a type of cruise that would be ok for one to do or are there others that would be more suitable? We cannot do the Caribbean for obvious reasons, and have cancelled our southern Caribbean one, and looking for a replacement.

Not sure if this matters at all, but you will be in/near the US and Canada, should medical care be required if you do an Alaska cruise. I see no "down" side to Alaska cruises.

There are plenty of ways to have a great, memorable experience in Alaska without putting DW at undue risk.

Thoughts....

• Alaskan mosquitos are Zika free!
  • Have a look at these excursion videos to get some activity ideas. Unless you choose the "adventure" excursions... you should be fine.

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE]

I would suggest talking to the doctor before you go, they may have limitations or restrictions they want you to follow. plus you may need documents for the cruise line stating how far along you are.

With that being said, there are plenty of excursions you can take part in while being pregnant. The train in Skagway is a safe option for sure.

Hope you enjoy Alaska!

Hi, I am planning a cruise for May 2017. if everything goes as planned, my wife will be say 4-5 mos pregnant.

That's 14 months away, and gestation period is 9 months, so clearly you're predicting a relatively narrow window for 1+1=3. Realize that Princess (the only line where I've looked it up) will not allow you to cruise entering the 24th week.

That's 14 months away, and gestation period is 9 months, so clearly you're predicting a relatively narrow window for 1+1=3. Realize that Princess (the only line where I've looked it up) will not allow you to cruise entering the 24th week.

Yes indeed. Mother Nature is funny in that she doesn't always decide to follow our own planned out schedules for such matters. :D

Several lines appear to follow the 24 week exclusion: http://www.*************.com/pressrelease010810.php

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud, REALLY CruiseCritic? Blocking a link to another cruise site that actually has a USEFUL bit of info? Are you guys THAT afraid of competition? :rolleyes:

OP: if you google for "pressrelease010810.php" you should find the list of information I tried to reference.

Edited by gpb11

I would think it is more of a question of how outside your norm are the activities you plan to do? If the pregnant lady in question is a couch potato then maybe strenuous hiking is not a good idea. But if she's a marathon runner then no sweat.

Here is an article about an 8 month old Alaskan woman who bagged herself a moose:

http://www.adn.com/article/20140920/homer-woman-more-8-months-pregnant-bags-moose

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking "good luck with that"

Yes indeed. Mother Nature is funny in that she doesn't always decide to follow our own planned out schedules for such matters. :D

Several lines appear to follow the 24 week exclusion: http://www.*************.com/pressrelease010810.php

EDIT: Oh for crying out loud, REALLY CruiseCritic? Blocking a link to another cruise site that actually has a USEFUL bit of info? Are you guys THAT afraid of competition? :rolleyes:

OP: if you google for "pressrelease010810.php" you should find the list of information I tried to reference.

They are the competition. Of course it's blocked