Is there Better Option from Hyatt Place 17 St to RCC Port?

wangy26

We have a group of 28 people stay at Hyatt Place 17 St Convention Center on April 16 overnight for cruise on April 17. I understand that the hotel is only a mile from the gate of the pier. The Hotel will charge $7/pp for the transportation to the cruise pier. I just wonder if there is other better cheaper options (local bus company).

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

We have a group of 28 people stay at Hyatt Place 17 St Convention Center on April 16 overnight for cruise on April 17. I understand that the hotel is only a mile from the gate of the pier. The Hotel will charge $7/pp for the transportation to the cruise pier. I just wonder if there is other better cheaper options (local bus company).

Have you tried to negotiate with the hotel? Most shuttles offer group rates.

That is a good suggestion. They said they also contract out with the local bus company. I just wonder who are the local bus company.

You will fill a van for about 4 trips with that many people.

I would think that $100. would be more than enough to cover that.

You can also call a taxi company that offers van service and ask about their rates.

You could (last resort) do a one day minivan rental from Budget (17th st) and do it yourself....tho this is a little clumsy.

With a large group there are always people who want to do things on their own or at a different time than everyone else. So, you might consider just breaking up into several groups of 4-6 and taking a taxi (or van taxi), as the trip should only cost you $15-20 (includes tip) from Hyatt Place to the pier. This way everyone can go at their own pace and you do not have to hassle with arrangements.

For such short short trip, I would say cabs. Unless you need to all arrive at the port at the same time for some reason? I'm for no schedules. We are ones that don't like to arrive just to sit at the terminal. So we head over after the rush. Others like to be there asap and sit or stand in line there.

Your choice.

I checked with Larry's service. It is more expensive than I expected. The 36 passenger bus cost more than $300. Even 10 passenger van costs $216. they are all more expensive than the $7/pp charged by the hotel.

Does anyone know if there is a plenty of taxi or Uber available at that hotel location? That may be another option.

If you decide to go with the hotel shuttle, I would confirm with Hyatt Place that they can handle that big a group. It will probably require multiple shuttles which will definitely stretch out the departure time and you won't all be arriving to board the ship at the same time. There will be other cruisers in the hotel also wanting to use the shuttles so they may not be able to devote entire shuttle(s) to your group.

The largest local taxi company is yellow cab (954-777-7777) - give them a call and ask if they can provide you van or SUV taxis which will hold 5 or 6 people each depending upon the amount of luggage. You will only need 5 or 6 taxis - at less than $20 each (total of $100 or $120) that will definitely be cheaper than the shuttle (28 X $7 = $196).

Edited by capriccio

I checked with Larry's service. It is more expensive than I expected. The 36 passenger bus cost more than $300. Even 10 passenger van costs $216. they are all more expensive than the $7/pp charged by the hotel.

Does anyone know if there is a plenty of taxi or Uber available at that hotel location? That may be another option.

There always seems to be taxis coming and going at that hotel, or the front desk will gladly call one for you. Remember, some debarking passengers will be going to this hotel in the morning, so you can grab their taxi.

As I mentioned earlier, a taxi (or a number of them) seems to me to be the best option due to cost and flexibility of when people want to leave for the pier. You can always meet up onboard if needed.

That is a lot of people to juggle for such a short trip. It's may be a little over 5 minutes at most.

Call any of the local cab companies the morning of and tell them how many cabs you may need. Or have everyone Uber. Or do a combination between hotel shuttles, Uber and taxi. I would lay out the options for everyone and have them do whatever works best for them. Cabs and Uber will not be hard to get and then no one is left trying to corral 28 people at once.

The hotel shuttle can only accommodate 9 people and they are leaving by the hour. So yellow cab may be the better option. I call the cab company and was told they can send out as many taxi as I want. The cost is $7/trip. 4 people can be in the car. So it is cheaper than the hotel $7/pp.

Thank you very much for your help!

The hotel shuttle can only accommodate 9 people and they are leaving by the hour. So yellow cab may be the better option. I call the cab company and was told they can send out as many taxi as I want. The cost is $7/trip. 4 people can be in the car. So it is cheaper than the hotel $7/pp.

Thank you very much for your help!

The cost of $7 per taxi trip seems a bit low in my experience. Of course it depends on which ship you are going on - to the Princess piers $7 seems about right, as you can almost walk it. However we cruise on Holland America and the fares were over $10 as I recall, as they are quite a bit further away. It also depends on the backup at the security gate, as the meter runs while you wait.

DaveOKC,

Thanks very much for your taxi fare info. We will take Royal Caribbean Allure of the Sea. Does anyone know how far that one is?

It docks at terminal 18. See this map: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf. On the map your hotel is above the top left corner of the port. You will need to go thru the security checkpoint and, depending upon arrival time, that can get backed up. Just make sure everyone is ready to show their passport and boarding pass. After the Eisenhower Blvd checkpoint, terminal 18 is the next cruise terminal (you will note that cruise terminal numbering in Port Everglades isn't consecutive since it skips from 4 to 18). Alternatively the cab may come in Spangler Road, clear the checkpoint, turn right on Eisenhower and terminal 18 will be the first cruise terminal on the left.

Edited by capriccio

Honestly for that short of a trip, let everyone pick their own transportation.

You are setting yourself up for a nightmare.

A cab for four with tip will be around $15.

I think it is nice that you are trying to set up transportation but this will not be worth the hassle.

Talk about herding cats.

The concierges will make sure you have enough cabs.

Thanks again for your very helpful info. Our group come from all over the world and half the people don't speak English. That's why I try to figure out a smooth transportation option.

One last question: Does everyone have to have boarding pass in order to go through security check point? Since some of them can't check-in online due to language barrier they plan to go to port to check-in. Would this be a problem at check-in point?

Thanks!

One last question: Does everyone have to have boarding pass in order to go through security check point? Since some of them can't check-in online due to language barrier they plan to go to port to check-in. Would this be a problem at check-in point?

Thanks!

The boarding pass could facilitate check-in....is there a chance that you, or someone in your party could print out boarding passes for those who don't have them?

Ultimately, they can check in with their passports and method of payment for onboard expenses.

Thanks again for your very helpful info. Our group come from all over the world and half the people don't speak English. That's why I try to figure out a smooth transportation option.

One thought - you might have someone load them up into taxis at the hotel and have that person tell driver the ship name (pier if you have it). Then hand the driver a $20 and say, "keep the change" - he/she will get the idea quickly and will normally take the fastest, quickest route.