Help me choose which tour in Istanbul

Assuming you meant you're restricting yourself to 1 of 2 Cruiseship Tours...then stay ashore as long as possible, if you are able to walk. The views from a tall Cruiseship while arriving and departing will give you hours of 'Water Views' without equal. Time amongst the local street scenes needs a full day.

Locomotiveman Tom

I'd be inclined to avoid ships' tours in Istanbul - the buses get stuck in traffic, time is wasted with lunch or tea, and sometimes with an un-wanted & even un-programmed visit to a carpet/jewellery/whatever workshop to get you to buy stuff & earn the cruise line commission.

You can take a tram (has its own dedicated track, not screwed-up by traffic) from the ship to the main sightseeing district of Sultanahmet, & all the sights are walkable - Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia (various spellings), Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, etc.

If you chose to take a tour, the tram & then a walking tour is probably a better way to do it than in a vehicle.

Sight-seeing boats which go part-way up the Bosphorus (more like a river than a sea) are available from Eminonu alongside Galata Bridge, not far from the Spice Bazaar. About a 90 minute narrated cruise, buy tickets at the pier (lire or euros or plastic)

But with one day (or even two) in Istanbul, I'd forgo even a short cruise because there's so much to see in Istanbul

Just MHO as always ;)

JB :)

I would NOT use a tour in Istanbul. The key sites like Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Archaeological Museum have wonderful audio-guides for about $10 each. Also, traffic is terrible in the heart of the city and you sit on the bus too much.

We didn't go a Bosphorus cruise, but our cruise ship did go through the Bosphorus on our way to the Black Sea. It was interesting, but it takes quite a while to go through and if you are time limited, I would not do it.

I would NOT use a tour in Istanbul. The key sites like Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and Archaeological Museum have wonderful audio-guides for about $10 each. Also, traffic is terrible in the heart of the city and you sit on the bus too much.

We didn't go a Bosphorus cruise, but our cruise ship did go through the Bosphorus on our way to the Black Sea. It was interesting, but it takes quite a while to go through and if you are time limited, I would not do it.

Thanks for this info. We were planning a private tour for 8. With only one day we thought having a guide and a van would be worthwhile to navigate everything. But perhaps we should just do in on our own. We don't mind exploring on our own, having this be our first visit there, we want to be efficient as possible.

Thanks for this info. We were planning a private tour for 8. With only one day we thought having a guide and a van would be worthwhile to navigate everything. But perhaps we should just do in on our own. We don't mind exploring on our own, having this be our first visit there, we want to be efficient as possible.

Don't miss Hagia Sophia. You can also do Topkapi with the Harem, the Blue Mosque and Basilica Cistern in one day, perhaps even add the Grand Bazaar as well. Of course, you need to start early.

We opted to tour Istanbul on our own. It was extremely easy to do. They have a tram that goes from the cruise ship area directly to the points of interest. We went to Topkapia Palace, Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the underground cistern, the spice market and a few other spots. We were able to do it at a nice leisurely pace and still get back to the ship in plenty of time.

Thanks....will save $$ for shopping !! We will do it on our own...if we actually get to stop there!

Just to give a little more "perspective" and a contrasting point of view for the other side, YES, you can do it on your own. It will work and maybe you will save some money. BUT, as we found out during our two days in amazing Istanbul with our private guide at the end of our cruise, we learned and understood so much more with that "little help" from her.

With DIY, you can see places and walk by/through many locations. BUT, the depths of the discussions with our smart guide gave us so much more detail, background and history. This approach helped us "UNDERSTAND" what we were seeing and why it was so important. We could ask questions and learn in-depth as you are really seeing and experiencing this amazing history and world-class architecture. Trade-offs?? Yes, you can read books ahead or after. There is a value, however, in having these "conversations" with your guide as you are exploring one of the greatest cities in the world. Personal choice!!

Said another way, if Istanbul was like some other Med locations with only one or two key "stars", then it is easier to do on your own. Time efficiency is not as vital as some other ports in the world. Because Istanbul has so many "stars", however, the logistical help can be of significant value. Your private tour with only eight people seems worthy of consideration.

Below are a few of my visual samples to help build up your excitement for Istanbul. Good luck that all works well for your upcoming visit to Istanbul.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 210,357 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here was our first view of Istanbul in June 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you could really sense how very “special” is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest! Istanbul has such a wide variety of history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc. It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, now a museum in Istanbul. It is a mix of both Christian and Islamic visuals on the inside. It was made into a museum to avoid the question for which religion it should be focused. From its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as the Greek Patriarchal cathedral of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 1453 until 1931, when it was secularized. Hagia Sophia is one of the greatest surviving examples of Byzantine architecture. There is great artistic value in its decorated interior with mosaics and marble pillars and coverings. The temple itself was so richly and artistically decorated that Justinian proclaimed, "Solomon, I have outdone thee!":

1A-Istbul-Hagia-Sophia1.jpg

While we had lunch in Istanbul with our guide, neighboring diners are overlooking the Bosphorus Strait and we had this great view of the large bridge spanning from Europe to Asia, the harbor, commuter ships, etc.:

WaterDining.jpg

In 1856, Sultan Abdul Mecid I moved his court to the newly-built Dolmabahce Palace, the first European-style palace in the city. Located on the European side of the Bosporus, it served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922. Fourteen tons of gold in the form of gold leaf were used to gild the ceilings. It is the largest palace in Turkey. The world's largest Bohemian crystal chandelier is in the center hall of the palace. A gift from Queen Victoria, it has 750 lamps and weighs 4.5 tons. Dolmabahce has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world and one of the great staircases has bannisters of Baccarat crystal. Below the outside of this “new” Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

One of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area. This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district:

IstOutdoorDine.jpg

Inside Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar here is one of the merchants/artists making us a custom item for our daughter-in-law from pink stones. Check their website: http://www.grandbazaaristanbul.org. It is one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops, and attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. It is well known for its jewelry, hand-painted ceramics, carpets, embroideries, spices and antique shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather, gold jewelry and the like. The bazaar has been an important trading centre since 1461 and its labyrinthine vaults feature two bedestens (domed buildings), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake. Here is a custom item for our daughter-in-law being made there.:

IstMakeJewelery.jpg

Add Church of St Saviour in Chora to your itinery if you have the time.

We visited the Chora church, which was wonderful, but you need a taxi out and taxi back (unless you have time to walk back, which we did).

So TOtALLY agree with TLCOhio (and thanks for the excellent photos).

Guides in Istanbul are outstanding and reasonable. Reading a book does not compare with the personal experience you get interacting with a local. And they take you to the special places you would not otherwise see. I took small tours with local guides two years ago, one of which was just me and the guide. I will definitely be hiring a guide for at least 2 of the 5 days I will be there this fall even thpugh I am pretty familiar with Istanbul.

Remember, if you watch Rick Steves you will note that even he has a guide accompanying him. It is money well spent if you want to immerse yourself in history and culture, not just walk by things with your head in a book. . I also recommend going to Chora Church if you have the time although there is alot of restoration going on there so the mosaics are damaged in many places, not intact like the ones in Ravenna. Still worth it especially if you are interested in the Byzantine period. There are other early Byzantine churches in the area that are less known but also have some beautiful mosaics.

Edited by ptrpanpens

Reading a book does not compare with the personal experience you get interacting with a local. And they take you to the special places you would not otherwise see. I took small tours with local guides two years ago, one of which was just me and the guide. I will definitely be hiring a guide for at least 2 of the 5 days I will be there this fall even thpugh I am pretty familiar with Istanbul.

I have to disagree that a guide adds a lot to the experience for everyone. It certainly isn't true for me. I read and research a lot in advance of every trip. I find it difficult to find truly GOOD guides. (In many places, not just in Istanbul.) Often, they do not know as much about their own history as I do, and quite often they tell 'tall tales' as well.

I have gotten into some pretty hidden corners of early Byzantine Istanbul on my own. ;) Also, I feel that I absorb more of the feeling of a place on my own, rather than having someone tell me what I am seeing, hearing, experiencing....

(On my last visit to Istanbul, I located a book beforehand with absolutely wonderful detail on Haghia Sofya. I photocopied a couple of the chapters and brought with me so that my friend and I could refer to them. While at the site, I was reading a few passages to her when a local guide stopped me and wanted to know where I had gotten the detailed info!)

I have to disagree that a guide adds a lot to the experience for everyone. It certainly isn't true for me. I read and research a lot in advance of every trip. I find it difficult to find truly GOOD guides. (In many places, not just in Istanbul.) Often, they do not know as much about their own history as I do, and quite often they tell 'tall tales' as well.

I have gotten into some pretty hidden corners of early Byzantine Istanbul on my own. ;) Also, I feel that I absorb more of the feeling of a place on my own, rather than having someone tell me what I am seeing, hearing, experiencing....

(On my last visit to Istanbul, I located a book beforehand with absolutely wonderful detail on Haghia Sofya. I photocopied a couple of the chapters and brought with me so that my friend and I could refer to them. While at the site, I was reading a few passages to her when a local guide stopped me and wanted to know where I had gotten the detailed info!)

To each his own, but You do not sound like the typical tourist who often does minimal research. One of the Turkish guides I had is an archaelogist who worked at the Smithsonian and now is a professor of art history at the University in Istanbul. We bonded immediately over our interest of Byzantine and Ottoman history and our love of cats. Maybe I got lucky but I have found that the guides in Istanbul I have used have all been excellent.

I am very knowlegable about the Byzantine period having written my college thesus on the Ravenna mosaics and Hagia Sophia and I felt like I still learned a lot from the guides I used. I never felt like they were trying to tell me how to feel about anything.

But, like I said, it is a personal preference. I have remained in contact with many of the private guides I have used in various cities and happen to prefer the personal experience, whether they weave tales or not. That is not to say I spend all my time in places I am familiar with using a private guide, on the contrary. But I have always felt the experience, particularly the first time one visits a place like Istanbul, is enriched by the personal one on one contact with a local.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same way and of course should approach things the way that is best for them.

I've hit some pretty sketchy places in my travels. I would NOT have went where we went in Istanbul without a hip Guide that had a Cell-Phone. But then I'm not into dome-gawking. I wanna go where the locals eat, drink and whatever...without the hassle factor of '...oh-oh'.

Locomotiveman Tom

To each his own, but You do not sound like the typical tourist who often does minimal research. One of the Turkish guides I had is an archaelogist who worked at the Smithsonian and now is a professor of art history at the University in Istanbul. We bonded immediately over our interest of Byzantine and Ottoman history and our love of cats. Maybe I got lucky but I have found that the guides in Istanbul I have used have all been excellent.

I am very knowlegable about the Byzantine period having written my college thesus on the Ravenna mosaics and Hagia Sophia and I felt like I still learned a lot from the guides I used. I never felt like they were trying to tell me how to feel about anything.

But, like I said, it is a personal preference. I have remained in contact with many of the private guides I have used in various cities and happen to prefer the personal experience, whether they weave tales or not. That is not to say I spend all my time in places I am familiar with using a private guide, on the contrary. But I have always felt the experience, particularly the first time one visits a place like Istanbul, is enriched by the personal one on one contact with a local.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same way and of course should approach things the way that is best for them.

I'm only saying that not everyone needs a guide to have an extraordinary experience in a particular place. :)

cruise mom,

I very much agree with you. We hired a guide only for the Blue Mosque and he didn't tell me anything that I hadn't read about Islam and the mosque.

Also, the audio-guides for Hagia Sophia and Topkapi are wonderful, provide much more detail than any guide, especially if you are in a large tour group, or going through places where a guide can't explain things to more than a few persons.