Port Canaveral Newbie

BensonFan711

Just booked the Epic for New Years (whoo hoo!), but my experience with Port Canaveral is woefully lacking. We're planning to fly to Orlando the night before, but we're looking for cost effective recommendations for trekking from Orlando to the pier. We're early birds, so we like itineraries that get us there by 9:30 (before the crowds!).

Just booked the Epic for New Years (whoo hoo!), but my experience with Port Canaveral is woefully lacking. We're planning to fly to Orlando the night before, but we're looking for cost effective recommendations for trekking from Orlando to the pier. We're early birds, so we like itineraries that get us there by 9:30 (before the crowds!).

Depending on your time of arrival. Why not drive the hour to Port Canaveral and stay near the port. The easiest way is to rent a car for a day. Otherwise a shuttle or car service.

Others might suggest shuttles or other means of transfer.

Depending on your time of arrival. Why not drive the hour to Port Canaveral and stay near the port. The easiest way is to rent a car for a day. Otherwise a shuttle or car service.

Others might suggest shuttles or other means of transfer.

I agree, the one-way car rental is very convenient for getting to the port.

However, we usually use a shuttle at the end of the cruise to get back to the airport. We've used Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle, and Travelynx with good results.

If you want to be at the port at a specific time, lease a car and drive to the port the night before. There are a few hotels within a mile of the port. Return the car early the morning of your cruise and take thier shuttle over to the port.

good time to practice with search function

there are MANY threads with this same question every week and MANY MANY options and opinions can be found . . .

here's an example of what you can find - a hint / helper

canaveral%20rentals%20Feb16_zpsde76i5qd.jpg

If looking at renting a car, these are your choices. ALL run shuttles to/from port. (north to south this picture is no more than 2 miles)

Many will rent a car for the arrival esp' if arriving a day early as this opens options for buying booze and dinner .... and then use a shuttle company or cruise transportation on return so they don't need to mess with a rental when in a hurry to go home.

Edited by Capt_BJ

beating the crowd isn't always the best idea. Usually turns out that you get there first, and watch the crowd come in while you're still waiting for hours...

https://www.goportcanaveral.com/airport-shuttle/day-of-cruise.php these guys got the cheapest for $14.50 each way from the airport but not really the times you're looking for. maybe a car rental or call them to see what else they can do for ya

We usually rent a car one-way (MCO-PC) but choose to stay in Orlando (1000's of hotels in every price range) and then drive to the port the morning of the cruise.

Unless your flight home is after 1:00-2:00 I would just shuttle to MCO instead of messing around with a rental again.

We always fly in a day before and rent a car, drive to the port and stay at a hotel close to the port. It might be less expensive to stay in Orlando since there are more hotels there than at PC.

Having said that, if you decide that route, it is about an hour's drive to PC from Orlando so make sure you figure that into your calculations. Also, if you choose to go with a shuttle service, there is no guarantee they will get you at the port at your preferred time. They will probably have other pick ups and drop offs and you might end up at the port later than you wanted to be. You can get a car rental for $25-$50 a day whereas I was quoted $90 for two people from PC to WDW from Cocoa Beach Shuttle for after our cruise. Some of the other shuttle services are more expensive. So it might be more cost effective to rent a car than to take a shuttle.

We are leaving for our cruise next month and I want to be at the port about the same time as you. So I plan on dropping off my car rental around 9:30 and taking the car rental shuttle to the port. Hope to be there no later than 10. I like being among the first to board the ship. There is plenty of seating in the waiting area and once we board the ship we head straight to the buffet where there are no lines. Get our choice of seats, finish fast then off to explore the ship until the cabins are available. Our luggage is usually waiting at our door when the cabins are announced. So early arrival is a must for us. Plus, I paid a lot of money for this cruise. I want to spend as much time on the ship as possible. So first on last off is my motto! ;o)))

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Teeara

Hi Bob - I am cruising on Oasis out of Canaveral in Nov 2016. Am looking at a Noon flight out of MCO (on a Sunday). Having never cruised out of Canaveral (or on a megaship) I'm wondering if this would be cutting it close if we use a shuttle or taxi to the airport.

I would use a shuttle.

for a noon flight you need to be at MCO by about 10:30 (earlier is better - TSA lines at MCO can be chaos). That translates into loaded onto a shuttle and rolling from PC by about 9:30. Should be easy, but you do not have time to mess around with renting a car, driving, gassing up, etc.

CorTrans and Cocoa Beach shuttle are the most often suggested shared shuttle providers with prices starting at $20+ per person each way.

Good luck!