Inside Cabin and A/C

CarenNH

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on Nov 13, 2016 (Western Car. out of Ft Laud). We've always ever had Verandah cabins but decided to save some cash and book an inside cabin this time. We prefer to keep the temperature quite low in our room, especially at night. Will we have trouble keeping it cooler without a window to open? Or is the A/C fairly robust?

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on Nov 13, 2016 (Western Car. out of Ft Laud). We've always ever had Verandah cabins but decided to save some cash and book an inside cabin this time. We prefer to keep the temperature quite low in our room, especially at night. Will we have trouble keeping it cooler without a window to open? Or is the A/C fairly robust?

We have not had a issue with the AC on HAL. Nieuw Amsterdam was great.

What ship did you cruise on that had windows that could open????

Call ship's services and request a fan for your cabin. It should be in there when you board. If not, ask your steward.

My last cruise, which happened to be on the Nieuw Amsterdam, was in one of my preferred inside cabins. I was very happy with the temperature---and I like mine set to "meat locker"! :D I even had to adjust the setting up a bit.

However, I do agree with Mary Ellen's post that this can be dependent on what those on your A/C line with balcony doors do. :mad:

What ship did you cruise on that had windows that could open????

Call ship's services and request a fan for your cabin. It should be in there when you board. If not, ask your steward.

I meant having the balcony door open for fresh air (but not overnight). :-)

I didn't know they had fans available for request. I was looking at bringing a portable folding one. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP: the next time you are in a balcony, please consider that you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open for any amount of time. It really does screw up the air conditioning system for others.

I've experienced the result and know that, even when the door is closed it takes the system quite a while to get back to normal. It really is a pain for those affected.

I hope no one on your A/C line does this and you end up with a really hot cabin.

Have a great cruise on the super ship!

I am sure that your AC will be fine.

There are actually four reasons why you A/C could fail..three of which are related to poor maintenance.

The vent filters into your cabin may be very dirty and blocking not only A/C but also air circulation.

You could be in an area of the ship where additional cabins were added and simply 'tacked on' to existing HVAC runs thus increasing demand above what these runs were originally specced for.

A/C, HVAC systems deteriorate/loose efficiency over time. They need to be periodically upgraded-an expensive proposition.

And finally, the cabin thermostat can go on the fritz requiring a very simple replacement.

I suspect that HAL front desk folks are trained to go right to the 'some inconsiderate passenger is leaving the verandah door open' excuse. Sometimes that is no doubt true but they would be reluctant to say otherwise.

Edited by iancal

I am like Ruth and prefer the "meat Locker Temperature" in my cabin, and I always stay in an inside cabin. That said, I have never had a problem keeping the room cool enough to be comfortable with the AC on HAL. I think that they would probably be cooler than the balcony cabins as they don't get the radiating heat that you get from a balcony or window.