Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

>SNIP<

I guess tomorrow I will just have to be better so we can go ashore in San Diego. And clear Customs and Immigration......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that I have slept the morning away, and had my cheese and crackers, I'm feeling better.

>SNIP<

I'm sorry you were feeling unwell and glad you are feeling better now. Of course, if anything is going to cause a relapse, it'll likely be the Customs & Immigration process in San Diego. :rolleyes:

WOW that seafood extravaganza looks wonderful :)

Perhaps I misheard, but what I got from the Captain's talk was that he was now on for three months (April-June), then has three months off, another three months on Westie and three months off, and then would start on the Zaandam.

That's what I heard also. The captain was talking about home-porting in San Diego for the winter and was expecting a vast improvement [when he returned in October] or he would be recommending to Seattle that they not continue at that port the next season. He expects 5* service always.

Haha! I do hope to survive the Immigration process tomorrow! Thanks all for the good wishes. Actually, we are usually pretty healthy on cruises. We failed this time, and have both had colds. My fault! We started taking our zinc about 10 days before we started our travels, and ran out after a few days. We decided that it was just one more thing to pack, so I didn't bother getting more. On this cruise we've had a guest speaker who is talking about space exploration, mainly. DH said in one talk on nutrition in space that one thing all the astronauts take is zinc, so we should have persevered.

Haha! I do hope to survive the Immigration process tomorrow! Thanks all for the good wishes. Actually, we are usually pretty healthy on cruises. We failed this time, and have both had colds. My fault! We started taking our zinc about 10 days before we started our travels, and ran out after a few days. We decided that it was just one more thing to pack, so I didn't bother getting more. On this cruise we've had a guest speaker who is talking about space exploration, mainly. DH said in one talk on nutrition in space that one thing all the astronauts take is zinc, so we should have persevered.

Hope you feel much better for the immigration zoo tomorrow. Maybe it will go smoothly (one can only hope:rolleyes:). I seldom get sick but last year on the Westie I did, and missed a couple of excursions (the school, and one other, can't remember which). Sometimes, you just can't avoid the cruise crud.

And I usually take zinc, too.

Have enjoyed this thread. Wanted to chime in and report we were on the previous Westerdam Panana Canal cruise. Different captain. He did daily announcements but other than that was invisible. Never thought about it too much but realized on this cruise it bugged us to never see the guy !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm lying here in bed, watching the sea. The sun is shining, not a whitecap to be seen, just sparkling water. The curtains are moving ever so gently. Must be heaven!

Pat says there are already suitcases out in the hall, and there is a trip log in the mailboxes. I was happy to hear that, as someone said they thought they were being discontinued. And happy we have a few more days on board.

Have your seas been smooth on the return to San Diego?

There is a bit of motion to the ocean for sure. But to quote the captain "the stabilizers are working and in full action". LOL.

It's not too bad at all so far. At least not for us,

Apologies as I haven't been able to log in or get in on the internet all day. Just worked now for me, so I will have to catch up tomorrow.

Gundersen it is, first of Halle Thon, Norwegian; retired for three years already and came with "his" ship - Royal Viking Sun - when she joined HAL as PRDM in April 2002,

Enjoy the remainder of your voyage and please give my regards to WEDM's S/O Terry, my mentor and trainer back in Nov 2010 ;)

Will do Copper!

I can hardly wait to see how disembarkation of some passengers and embarkation of new passengers go in San Diego.

We are in transit thankfully KK, and last year it went smoothly (in transit that is). But, after our embarkation experience, I am looking at tomorrow's Customs and timing for getting off the ship with great trepidation. Time will tell.

Still trying to upload those seafood pics.

I see three pics there Ann - they are great :)

Thanks so much for posting them :)

The seafood was yummy.

Missed you at the Pinnacle tonight and hope you are feeling a LOT better tomorrow.

Darn, I was hoping your Captain would be our Captain for our Oct 2 Westerdam cruise. Thanks for keeping us updated!! :)

He might be. Vict0riann & Happily@Sea have posted the exact details whereas I just did general.;)

Anyone who gets to sail with him is in for a treat IMO.

He has a fantastic team working with him.

Lots of fun events today. It started with "Westerdam Confidential" with CD Mario showing pictures "behind the scenes of crew life". Then some of the various groups were introduced.

112d8be02750d0abbdba00fb48df2d94.jpg

0a07146c8fba33faf9d3380b295754af.jpg

9c51ca5732245d71b7ae4182bdec3eca.jpg

Later there was a cook-off between Mario and the Captain. The two of them were hilarious and better than many of the comedians on cruise ships.

114c340f95a352a10b3659c6de7dbd72.jpg

9cec7df46ea7f17bbd9865310c3d8b8c.jpg

Continuing on...

In the afternoon was the Ho'ike Graduation Show featuring the passengers who have been practicing the Ukulele, Hula, Tamare dance, and To'ere Drum.

c8cdefecbfb743b29717983e757f4483.jpg

39463170a14abba42608cd1c5fc8650b.jpg

Finally, I had dinner with kazu, Sapper1, gigianne and their husbands. We laughed throughout the meal. Food was mostly great but service was slow.

a1d4fa7e9d74e476d12df1e0676e26e9.jpg

Amuse bouche (escargot)

6379bcf910d695047d1ebc6110f21e0e.jpg

Dungeness crab cakes

faa08b39907202b65f8aec9d73ec3fbe.jpg

Filet Mignon

b76abea005718336a9255af515b59d91.jpg

Lemon Creme Brûlée Tart

We are in transit thankfully KK, and last year it went smoothly (in transit that is). But, after our embarkation experience, I am looking at tomorrow's Customs and timing for getting off the ship with great trepidation. Time will tell.

Two times we were in transit and the ship didn't clear until 10:40 AM.

He might be. Vict0riann & Happily@Sea have posted the exact details whereas I just did general.;)

Anyone who gets to sail with him is in for a treat IMO.

He has a fantastic team working with him.

Does HAL post anywhere who the captain of upcoming cruises will be?

Does HAL post anywhere who the captain of upcoming cruises will be?

Not to my knowledge. Copper10 assists here with questions in that regard.

My shipboard events co-ordinator for my Meet and Greet confirmed our Captain for me. Not sure if that is standard procedure or not. I've dealt with her a lot.

Continuing on...

In the afternoon was the Ho'ike Graduation Show featuring the passengers who have been practicing the Ukulele, Hula, Tamare dance, and To'ere Drum.

c8cdefecbfb743b29717983e757f4483.jpg

39463170a14abba42608cd1c5fc8650b.jpg

Finally, I had dinner with kazu, Sapper1, gigianne and their husbands. We laughed throughout the meal. Food was mostly great but service was slow.

a1d4fa7e9d74e476d12df1e0676e26e9.jpg

Amuse bouche (escargot)

6379bcf910d695047d1ebc6110f21e0e.jpg

Dungeness crab cakes

faa08b39907202b65f8aec9d73ec3fbe.jpg

Filet Mignon

b76abea005718336a9255af515b59d91.jpg

Lemon Creme Brûlée Tart

Thanks for posting these and the other great pics Kathi !!!

Eva said they were short a server last night and apologized to DH. Service until now has been quite good so hopefully it will be back up to snuff for our last Pinnacle.

Last two seafood extravaganza photos may post now. Yesterday the inter-net should have been called inter-mittent.

e8e7f2228a0b0febfe8f75348a899cc9.jpg

c315334ea1d075aead8fa701afd380e2.jpg

The last was the plate they gave me. We shared, but I got the clams and mussels.

Well, Internet appears to be working so while I wait to go to Customs/Immigration, I will try to bring ourselves a bit up to date.

Here is the menu for the 30th and the On Location. It was a gala night and the food was VERY good.

a11cba88324c0021ee507d17774bb511.jpg

ef90c32a13640dde43cb920d205c5f3a.jpg

949d4f5142d058288ea9319f405ec7ce.jpg

d1f35345334398a81221e4e79e22d934.jpg

Just finished U.S. Customs. Took about 1/2 hour. They did not call by deck as originally planned. Just the first deck and then they just called for everyone. There were a lot of Customs officers - 8 if I counted correctly which was very good.

There was also a lady with Customs checking forms before we saw the officers to make sure that everything was completed properly and avoid delays.

We hadn't received an in transit pass and I asked about that on the way out to the person checking off our cabin numbers. Apparently there is no in transit pass being given out?

I guess we will just attempt to avoid that snaking embarkation line for those that have to check in?

Need to take our passports and our Customs form that has been stamped with us if we are getting off the ship.

On our way to Customs, I saw people heading down with luggage to the gangway. Appear to be the self disembark people. I guess they don't realize no one is going anywhere until everyone has cleared Customs?