Size of Carry On Luggage

How big of a suitcase can you take with you through security as a carry on? We are traveling out of Port Canaveral if that makes a difference. I recall reading that the suitcase must fit through the xray machine, but I am wondering how big of a suitcase will fit.

How big of a suitcase can you take with you through security as a carry on? We are traveling out of Port Canaveral if that makes a difference. I recall reading that the suitcase must fit through the xray machine, but I am wondering how big of a suitcase will fit.

Don't know the exact dimensions, but the x-ray machine is the same size as that at the airports.

Is there some reason you don't want to check your luggage? If you keep your valuables with you, it should be OK. I also bring a swim suit and a change clothes with me. But everything else is checked in. It's no fun lugging all your luggage with you through the ship. Especially if you have to wait for your room.

I did this recently on a short 7 day, but it was from Ft Lauderdale.

I got a new hard side bag with spinner wheels, called a Speed Light " 24" Upright Twister".

It is bigger than the typical airline carry on, but made it through the x-ray machine with no problem. Not much room to spare, tho, so I would not go any bigger than 24" for this purpose.

With the spinner wheels - my smaller roll on also has them - it could not have been easier, including walk off at the end of the cruise.

You can push those bags with one finger.

I am not one of those hurry up and get to the buffet people, so I boarded, went right to my cabin, and was unpacked, settled, and enjoying a cocktail in no time.

I'll do it every time now for anything shorter than a 10 day cruise.

Good luck, it's very liberating.

As a packing aside, I found you really do not need 5 kinds of sunscreen, 2 will do :). That's the sort of editing I had to do to use just a carry - on.

We sail with two 28x16x10 inch bags that just fit through the scanners at Port Canaveral, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale. We don't like to leave our bags out of our sight. Since we arrive around 1pm we can go directly to our cabin and unpack.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We sail with two 28x16x10 inch bags that just fit through the scanners at Port Canaveral, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale. We don't like to leave our bags out of our sight. Since we arrive around 1pm we can go directly to our cabin and unpack.

Thank you for the dimensions. I don't fly, so I don't have a great carry on. We are trying to take water onboard with us and I would rather just put it in a suitcase along with our medications and a few other items than try to carry it or put it in a backpack. Plus then we have an extra suitcase when disembarking for odds & ends on the final morning.

We have no problem with the size that fits in the aircraft overhead compartment.

Edited by clarea

I would take the size that you would carry on at the airport.

Keith

The small airport size carry on luggage is limited by the overhead compartment size on the plane not the X-ray scanner size.

Length is not the problem it is width and height. Trust me.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

Each airline has its own rules re carry-on bag dimensions, usually posted on their website. If your bag is questioned it can be checked at the gate. International flights tend to be a bit stricter. Hope this helps. We like traveling with carry-ons.

Probably at embarkation port is not a problem, but what about people that take their checked bags off the ship, do laundry in ports of call, and then come back to board the ship with the baggage? Does big luggage fit into the ship's X-ray machines?

Probably at embarkation port is not a problem, but what about people that take their checked bags off the ship, do laundry in ports of call, and then come back to board the ship with the baggage? Does big luggage fit into the ship's X-ray machines?

We have never taken our luggage on or off the ship except at the cruise ports I mentioned. However, if you plan to take luggage off, the ship scanner will be right at the gangway so you can check. For laundry a plastic bag would work if you can find a laundromat near the pier.

If the luggage was to big wouldn't security just physically go thru it at the terminals? I really don't know the dimensions, but I would think that they would have given the measurements of the x-ray machine. That would have been a great help, but they never make it easy do they?

This is a joke question! Right?

... what about people that take their checked bags off the ship, do laundry in ports of call, and then come back to board the ship with the baggage? Does big luggage fit into the ship's X-ray machines?

I can honestly say that in all our cruises, I have never seen someone take their suitcase full of dirty laundry off the ship in port, only to find a laundromat in port somewhere. You're joking, right? :p

The only other issue is if your bag is too big to fit in scanner and security has to manually search your luggage you are going to have a lot of frustrated fellow cruisers with you. Wheeled bags that fit through a scanner in airport will fit cruise line scanner. Where I live the airlines are very strict on size on bags. The airport is only 30 min from me so when I got a new bag I would take it to the airport and check it fit in all the different luggage sizers☺

Have fun anyway I'm sure everything will work out.

For the poster who is taking water, just to let you know if you are travelling with Carnival, they don't allow bottled water to be brought on board. Also water in cabin is perfectly safe to drink.