Inexpensive ideas?

cruisegirl919

Hi everyone,

Myself and my friend (females in our 20s) are cruising together this summer on a budget, and we're looking for some fun things to do in Cayman. Prefer not to spend much more than 50$ per person.

I'm not usually a big snorkeler, so trying to steer away from those options. We are also mostly doing beach days for other days at port, so I'm looking to switch it up.

I was looking at potentially doing a magrove kayak in the morning and touring the brewery after that, would that be possible?

Any other inexpensive ideas that we might enjoy? Thanks!

I did the stingray, snorkel and starfish tour for 35 couple years back with Nativeway tours. We saved money because we also got a group of 10 from our roll call to do it together. I think it is 45 on the website now. Under 50 and a must do I saw in Cayman

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Stingrays...definitely do a Stingray City excursion. If you are looking to save money and don't mind a more crowded excursion, grab a private one as you exit the port area. I've seen comments from people finding them for $20-30. (A pre booked private excursion like Nativeway's will likely be less crowded and more personal, but it will also cost more, and all excursions take you to the same location.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. A Sting Ray tour will cost you about $30 with any of many tour operators. We used Captain Marvin for $35 which also included a snorkel stop. We didn't snorkel, but remained on the ship, but if you wish to just snorkel for a little bit, they help you every step of the way.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Cayman is a great place to get off the ship and find a private excursion seller. My husband and son purchased an island tour for $20 which stopped at Hell. The turtle farm excursion was also easy and cheap to purchase on shore.

Edited by rnr4thatsme

welcome newbie

you say: We are also mostly doing beach days for other days at port, so I'm looking to switch it up.

I'm not sure what other ports you are visiting but let me slice the melon another way .... of all the ports you will visit, excursions in Cayman will cost MORE. Cayman has a higher standard of living than most of the US .... you can book similar excursions pretty much anywhere else in the Carib' for less than you'll pay in Cayman.

If there is a port best suited for a beach day ... it is CAYMAN. You can ride the bus to the beach but expect to pay $10 US for a beer . . .

Or walk to Sunset House and just hang at "My Bar" .... drinks are not any more or less than other places on the island but I bet you don't see anyone from the ship (except crew that knows this hide out) and the view can't be beat . . . now THAT'S an inexpensive day in Georgetown . . . some conch fritters ..... maybe some chowder ....

at My Bar

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

just sayin', trying to save money on excursions in the most expensive port and not taking any elsewhere is not the plan I'd pursue . . . .

[dd and I on a week trip to Sunset House for diving]

Edited by Capt_BJ