Will X ever home port in Canaveral?

orville99

Doubt if they will, I am confused though, if your tired of doing the same ol' same ol' cruise out of PC whey would a Celebrity ship out of PC be any better than any of the ships current sailing out of Canaveral, Including... Carnival, Disney, Royal Caribbean & Norwegian (There might not be enough room for another Line or Ship)...

From June to December 2016 Celebrity has cruises leaving from: Anchorage, AK; Seattle, WA; Vancouver, BC; Bayonne, NJ; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Miami, FL; San Diego, CA; San Juan; and Puerto Rico in North Ameria and many more in ports around the world. (maybe they have no spare ship to homeport in PC).

Doubt if they will, I am confused though, if your tired of doing the same ol' same ol' cruise out of PC whey would a Celebrity ship out of PC be any better than any of the ships current sailing out of Canaveral, Including... Carnival, Disney, Royal Caribbean & Norwegian (There might not be enough room for another Line or Ship)...

From June to December 2016 Celebrity has cruises leaving from: Anchorage, AK; Seattle, WA; Vancouver, BC; Bayonne, NJ; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Miami, FL; San Diego, CA; San Juan; and Puerto Rico in North Ameria and many more in ports around the world. (maybe they have no spare ship to homeport in PC).

We're Elite on X, but the drive down to FLL or Miami is getting tougher to do every year, and X pulls all of their ships out of the Caribbean between May and October. We would love to take one of their longer (10-14 night) cruises out of PC so we can do some ports that just aren't offered on the same ol' currently out of PC without having to do the trek down to FLL.

I sense you finding not a whole lot of sympathy from those who don't live in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, or Florida. If you're close enough to drive to Port Canaveral (or live in Port Canaveral), you already have a lot more options than anyone who lives outside that area! :D

I seriously doubt it for a couple reasons. First, there are already a lot of other cruise lines handing that port. The competition for a more adults-type of cruise line like Celebrity (vs. Disney or more family-oriented RCI) would be stiff. Secondly, that's not the demographics Celebrity is going after - young families. Bottom line is they can make more money in the summer elsewhere, like AK and Europe.

I would love to see PC become a home port for X. We drive down from NC and that extra driving from where a PC cruise would be, all the way down to FLL or heaven forbid Miami, is really getting old.

I sense you finding not a whole lot of sympathy from those who don't live in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, or Florida. If you're close enough to drive to Port Canaveral (or live in Port Canaveral), you already have a lot more options than anyone who lives outside that area! :D

Fortunately, I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to figure out why X would not consider a market with the highest per capita median income and the second largest accessible population in Florida (not to mention the world's largest concentration of retirees with disposable income - the Villages) within an hour or two from the port as a viable market.

I would love to see PC become a home port for X. We drive down from NC and that extra driving from where a PC cruise would be, all the way down to FLL or heaven forbid Miami, is really getting old.

Sure beats driving (and even flying) all the way from California!! :eek:

I can certainly sympathize with anyone who doesn't care to drive into Miami to cruise. We just did it for an Eclipse cruise. It can get pretty hairy for someone who doesn't know the roads and driving styles of the Miami region. We even got lost this morning trying to get to the tunnel resulting in an extra trip around the port in order to try to find that tunnel. I really dislike that drive to Miami.

One thing I would ask, though, is the concentration of seniors in The Villages greater than the concentration of seniors in Martin, Palm Beach, Broward and Miami/Dade Counties combined?

Edited by Gangway Style

I can certainly sympathize with anyone who doesn't care to drive into Miami to cruise. We just did it for an Eclipse cruise. It can get pretty hairy for someone who doesn't know the roads and driving styles of the Miami region. We even got lost this morning trying to get to the tunnel resulting in an extra trip around the port in order to try to find that tunnel. I really dislike that drive to Miami.

One thing I would ask, though, is the concentration of seniors in The Villages greater than the concentration of seniors in Martin, Palm Beach, Broward and Miami/Dade Counties combined?

With regard to your comment about driving in Miami: I echo your feelings exactly! I will never, ever again drive on I-95 into downtown Miami. How I survived my first experience was a near miracle. Get off and use the surface streets well before downtown, much slower I am sure. But, more sane.

Port Canaveral has expanded their facilities and, unless I am mistaken from what I observed in January, has one new terminal not being used at all at this time. Given the planned increase in the size of the Celebrity fleet, I would not discount the possibility of Port Canaveral being used. After all, Port Everglades and Miami seem to be at, or close to, their maximum on most Winter season week-ends. Where will the new vessels home berth?

Port Everglades and Miami seem to be at, or close to, their maximum on most Winter season week-ends. Where will the new vessels home berth?

Oasis of the Seas will begin home porting at Port Canaveral in November and Harmony of the Seas will replace her slot at terminal 18 at Port Everglades on Saturdays.

If you took the Villages out of the mix, the senior population of the four county Orlando MSA would be roughly the same as those four counties. What is different in the Orlando MSA is the concentration of high tech, high salary jobs that the SF metroplex lacks, and the migration of a significant population of professionals with disposable income. We moved here purposely so we could cruise 5-6 times a year before either of us retires.

Edited by orville99

As long as we're putting in requests, let's add Charleston to the mix. I've always wanted to sail out of there.

And as a West Coaster, I'd love more options out of San Diego. The airport is a quick 10 minutes from the port, there's tons of shopping, restaurants, friendly locals, the world-renown zoo, colleges, and many other venues for pre- & post-cruise stays. The few cruises Celebrity does from here just aren't enough!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Oasis of the Seas will begin home porting at Port Canaveral in November and Harmony of the Seas will replace her slot at terminal 18 at Port Everglades on Saturdays.

We have her booked for three cruises out of PC so far. I'd just like a bit of a change from RCL's repetitive itineraries.

Fortunately, I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to figure out why X would not consider a market with the highest per capita median income and the second largest accessible population in Florida (not to mention the world's largest concentration of retirees with disposable income - the Villages) within an hour or two from the port as a viable market.

Regarding your comment in parenthesis - I think you are answering your own question. Trust me, retirees are NOT the demographic Celebrity is targeting. If anything, they are trying to significantly lower the average age of their customers to a range closer to 25-45ish. Retirees are the absolute last group they want to attract! I wish it were otherwise, as I am one of said retirees (unfortunately always have to fly from Chicago) and God willing I plan to cruise another 15 to 20 years!

And speaking of flying, another reason may be that it is harder for the masses to fly into FL and get to Port Canaveral. Did it for the Freedom a couple years ago and it was a PIA. Despite the large population within a driving distance, consider that the population also has many other options to choose from, whereas when a ship is located closer to a port with a much wider, international airport base, that has to factor in as well.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We're getting tired of doing the same ol' same ol' cruises out of PC, and would love to see a Celebrity ship home port there.

We just got back home after a 4.5 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale for a 7 night cruise on Silhouette. I am really beat. Would love to have more variety of destinations from PC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We lived 20 miles south of PC for several years and sailed a LOT, but honestly, I think MIA or FLL offer more to those who travel to Florida for a cruise.

While the drive to PC from MCO is easy, if I'm going down a day (or more) early, I'd rather hang out in Fort Lauderdale or Miami than Cocoa Beach. And for those who fly you have multiple options at various price points - FLL, MIA or even West Palm. Orlando can be expensive to fly into, and Melbourne even more so.

JMHO!

Thank you. Yes, I was aware of this.

The Terminal to which I was referencing was further East along the channel than the one that Enchantment of the Seas was using. I would assume that Oasis of the Seas would also use this same Terminal.

Why don't they consider going out of New Jersey year round, lots more people in that area than PC. We have had people from all over the country post that they want Celebrity to homeport near them Bottom line is Celebrity has half the ships of the other main cruise lines, right now only 9 ships available while Royal, Carnival, Princess all have lots more.

Why don't they consider going out of New Jersey year round, lots more people in that area than PC. We have had people from all over the country post that they want Celebrity to homeport near them Bottom line is Celebrity has half the ships of the other main cruise lines, right now only 9 ships available while Royal, Carnival, Princess all have lots more.

I don't know why any line home ports in NJ. What is the draw of 2-3days of rotten weather and ugly seas to get anywhere decent?

Personally, if I lived either by PC or PE I would be over the moon :). The choice you have from all the different cruise lines is outstanding. We've flown into MCO several times and driven down to FL, cruised from there and then driven back up to PC, sometimes joining another ship. We enjoy the ride down. If I had that much choice, I'd be on and off ships all year round - even more so if I was retired ;).

We have 1 X ship (part year) and it takes me as long as the drive to PE from MCO to get there - added to that, it's similar conditions to NJ. So, I prefer to fly to mainland Europe to join my cruises, which tend to be far more expensive than jumping on the bargains from Florida (I can only wish) and I'm not complaining :).

As someone else pointed out in a previous post, you are not X's target demographics and that's possibly why they are not interested how much closer you live to PC. They realise that the residents in your particular location will always be there to book their empty cabins with last minute bargains to fill their ships, any time of the year ;).

I'd like to try the West Coast, but nothing from there during the summer months (July & August) and I don't even mind the long flight over (11 - 12 hours direct) :).

Even though Celebrity's actual demographic is retirees, I've been told that their desired demographic is young-ish working people, (hence the new younger Captains, the Miami DJ vibe, the loud ambient techno-type music) so home porting in an area of mostly retirees instead of a big population of young executives would not appeal to them.

Even though Celebrity's actual demographic is retirees, I've been told that their desired demographic is young-ish working people, (hence the new younger Captains, the Miami DJ vibe, the loud ambient techno-type music) so home porting in an area of mostly retirees instead of a big population of young executives would not appeal to them.

You misread my post. The Orlando MSA is heavily populated with young to middle aged high wage professionals, and with Harris, Lockheed, Siemens and other large high tech headquarters, is a target-rich environment for X. And MCO is the second or third busiest airport in the country, and has more international traffic than ether Miami or FLL. If X's target demographic is flying in, it is just as easy (and usually cheaper) to fly in to MCO as it is to fly in to either of the other two.

I don't know why any line home ports in NJ. What is the draw of 2-3days of rotten weather and ugly seas to get anywhere decent?

Its' nice enough that Royal and NCL homeport year round however you did not address the main point of having only half the ships of the other lines.