Dress code advice please

fantasy51

I've trawled through 4 pages of threads and can't find one on dress code, so it must be time to start another.

My friend and I were reading through the dress code last night. His choice of clothes does not fit the wording, but I'm sure it fits the intent. He enjoys wearing a suit but with a nice t-shirt underneath. Is this acceptable? I know the shirt itself is meant to have a collar, but is it acceptable if he wears a suit jacket with a collar and a shirt without one?

We were just on the Silhouette and what you described would be perfectly fine. It always amazes me that people get really stressed out over the dress code when in reality there isn't a whole lot that would be a problem. The only thing I found that the staff did not allow were shorts and tank tops. Anything else is fine. On "evening chic" nights my husband happened to wear a tux but other men were wearing anything from dressy jeans to dress slacks. Don't stress…just enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Celebrity say:

Men should feel comfortable wearing trousers or smart jeans with a dress shirt or button-down shirt or sweater, with blazers optional.

That would imply no T-shirt under a blazer - I can't see how there could be any confusion.

Celebrity say:

That would imply no T-shirt under a blazer - I can't see how there could be any confusion.

In fact, the Dress Code explicitly says

Please note: T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops, baseball caps and poolwear are not allowed in the main restaurant or speciality restaurant at any time.

So I would say that, whilst others on the board here will disagree, there is a chance that your friend will be turned away if he is wearing a T-shirt - whether he's got a blazer on the top of it or not. Of course, they may let him in without any problems but that's a chance he'll have to take

Op, there is a sticky at the top of the page for dress code discussion, which this thread will probably be incorporated into soon, after it's locked and closed.

Personally as I always glaze right over the stickies I find them not effective. There are just too many of them that they don't stand out. You not being able to find a dress code thread kind of proves that line of thinking.

Higgy, although your interpretation is correct the person being discussed would NEVER be turned away on Celebrity. Actually they would be more dressed up than many on Chic night.

There are actually dress styles of collarless shirts that are not your typical T shirt. I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is referring to.

EDIT--------OOps, I see that thread was closed months ago, just goes to show how much attention I pay to those stickies. OP, a search will reveal some fairly recent dress code discussion threads.

Edited by ORV

While I like the look of a t-shirt under a jacket. I think the look meets the Chic night idea. It does say no t-shirts. If you take off the jacket at dinner it is just a t-shirt. Why not add 2 polo's and leave the jacket at home. Or have a backup plan if they say no go.

In fact, the Dress Code explicitly says

So I would say that, whilst others on the board here will disagree, there is a chance that your friend will be turned away if he is wearing a T-shirt - whether he's got a blazer on the top of it or not. Of course, they may let him in without any problems but that's a chance he'll have to take

Hogwash! I wear nothing but Birkenstock sandals. Never have. Dressing up for me means wearing socks at dinner. OK, I wear a sports coat and a dress shirt and nice slacks, but all anyone has EVER cared about is not having people in ratty clothes. And a T only when I feel like it.

If someone showed up at a nice (not 4 star) restaurant in a swimming suit and coverup, t shirt that was ripped or had profanity printed on it, or shorts for dinner they would be politely turned away. That is about it. One would need to go out of their way to find clothing that would not be allowed today.

Higgy, although your interpretation is correct

It's not MY interpretation, it's Celebrity dress code taken directly from their FAQ on the website - nothing to do with me, and certainly nothing has been interpreted.

I'm sure they won't get turned away but, if the Maitre D' decides to stick to the written rules then they might.

I'd play it safe personally - the 1980s Miami Vice look is long gone :-)

Edited by Higgy64

Many thanks all.

I do find dress codes difficult. They are an attempt to find the lowest common denominator that they can explain. It is possible to follow the dress code completely and to look shabby and scruffy. It is also possible to completely disregard it and look fabulous. I realise it is impossible to say 'Make sure you look smart and as if you care what you are wearing', but really, that is what they want.

I'm afraid my friend is used to wearing a smart suit with a scarf and no shirt (and therefore never takes off his jacket). We had hoped a smart t-shirt would work under this. Oh well, he will just have to wear different outfits that are less smart but fulfil the letter of the law - shirts over matching trousers.

At least it looks as though he can wear his sleeveless Armani suit on chic nights, with a short-sleeved white shirt under it.

I believe that Celebrity means no t-shirts as outer garments.

If not, then since no shorts are allowed, and I prefer boxers, I would have to go commando:eek:.

I believe a t-shirt under a jacket is fine, as long as the jacket is not removed.

Many thanks all.

I do find dress codes difficult. They are an attempt to find the lowest common denominator that they can explain. It is possible to follow the dress code completely and to look shabby and scruffy. It is also possible to completely disregard it and look fabulous. I realise it is impossible to say 'Make sure you look smart and as if you care what you are wearing', but really, that is what they want.

I'm afraid my friend is used to wearing a smart suit with a scarf and no shirt (and therefore never takes off his jacket). We had hoped a smart t-shirt would work under this. Oh well, he will just have to wear different outfits that are less smart but fulfil the letter of the law - shirts over matching trousers.

At least it looks as though he can wear his sleeveless Armani suit on chic nights, with a short-sleeved white shirt under it.

You did not say anything about a scarf. With a scarf or Ascot look I would think that would be fine.

I always smile inwardly when I read the official dress code. For a long time now I have thought (or it seems) anything goes. On our recent last cruise, the number of baseball caps in the MDR was laughable. We were always taught wearing any headgear was very bad manners at the table but as previously mentioned anything these days appears on the surface, to be acceptable.

Each to their own!

Celebrity say:

Well, there are "t-shirts" and then there are "t-shirts." Given that said t-shirt is going to be worn with a suit, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is not talking about your average Hanes white cotton t-shirt or similar. I would imagine he or she is referring to a dressy collar-less, short sleeved shirt and yes, there are such things and they are truly different from a casual t-shirt. They are often made of a silk or a silk blend, or a cotton microfiber type material that looks like silk or something similar. They usually drape nicely and look quite sharp with a sport jacket (or suit jacket). They may not fit the letter of the law as per the stated dress code, but certainly fit within the intent, which is to look dressed up.

Actually they would be more dressed up than many on Chic night.

There are actually dress styles of collarless shirts that are not your typical T shirt. I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is referring to.

Exactly.

I know the look of what he is wanting to wear. Although under the dress code no t shirt allowed etc, the set up of what he is going to wear won't be looked at twice. He will be 100% fine.

navy-blazer-white-v-neck-t-shirt-red-chinos-white-and-navy-pocket-square-original-711.jpg

There is no way they will turn that away. Have you seen what some people wear? This is very "chic" in today's world.

Well, there are "t-shirts" and then there are "t-shirts." Given that said t-shirt is going to be worn with a suit, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is not talking about your average Hanes white cotton t-shirt or similar. I would imagine he or she is referring to a dressy collar-less, short sleeved shirt and yes, there are such things and they are truly different from a casual t-shirt. They are often made of a silk or a silk blend, or a cotton microfiber type material that looks like silk or something similar. They usually drape nicely and look quite sharp with a sport jacket (or suit jacket). They may not fit the letter of the law as per the stated dress code, but certainly fit within the intent, which is to look dressed up

Exactly.

I have worn a "designer" T shirt for YEAR, under a various type of sport coats, never again will I wear a tie. Having said that, Designer T shirts are almost impossible to fine now days.

Once again, thank you.

Yes, Mikeysed, that is very close to what he would wear, except that the trousers would match the jacket.

The alternative could be an outfit that consists of matching trousers and shirt that is open at the neck (and the dress code does not say how far a shirt has to be buttoned up!). That would suit the dress code and look smart, and he has several outfits like that. However, he likes suits so I will encourage him to also try the suit and t-shirt option and hope he is not turned away at the door.

At least he can wear what he likes around the ship once dinner is over.

Last year on Cunard our big problem was that he had to throw a (non-matching) jacket over anything he wore on casual nights. I thought we'd have less trouble on Celebrity but it still comes down to interpretation, doesn't it?

Oh by all means a man should button his shirt up at dinner, at least past the chest. Save that unbuttoned to the mid torso nonsense for the disco.

This has nothing to do with the dress code, just good taste and common sense.

Edited by ORV

Oh by all means a man should button his shirt up at dinner, at least past the chest. Save that unbuttoned to the mid torso nonsense for the disco.

This has nothing to do with the dress code, just good taste and common sense.

That's where any dress code is going to fail. They can't stipulate every single eventuality. Where they try to stipulate something, there is always the possibility of it limiting something that can look good. Where they don't stipulate, then there's an opening for something that can look crass.

Oh, if only everyone had good taste! (By that, of course I mean my own taste. :D)

I've trawled through 4 pages of threads and can't find one on dress code, so it must be time to start another.

My friend and I were reading through the dress code last night. His choice of clothes does not fit the wording, but I'm sure it fits the intent. He enjoys wearing a suit but with ea nice t-shirt underneath. Is this acceptable? I know the shirt itself is meant to have a collar, but is it acceptable if he wears a suit jacket with a collar and a shirt without one?

I know the type oft shirt you are referring to, and it is fine, with or without the jacket! No worries.

I may get boohooed for this post but please be gentle. IMHO....I feel that "Elegant Chic" is like dressing for an Evening Wedding or maybe a Fund Raising Dinner in an upscale hotel. What would you wear? If you dress any other way, you will not ruin our evening. I personally love dressing up once in a while..... different that I would for working in an office or touring my clients looking at homes. But to each his own. The ones who will make the final decision are those that meet you at the entrance to the MDR or Restaurants. But please.....no socks with Birkenstocks ever...LOL.

I feel that "Elegant Chic" is like dressing for an Evening Wedding or maybe a Fund Raising Dinner in an upscale hotel. .

Actually on the Silhouette last week they described Evening Chic (not Elegant Chic as noted above) as less formal than "formal night". They even referenced it was okay to wear nice jeans.

Honestly, people on this thread are getting way too worked up about the dress code. They are not that picky. Just don't wear shorts or tank tops and you'll be fine. This is a relaxing cruise, don't get all stressed out about something as silly as clothing. Just enjoy yourselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I miss the old dress code of formal, informal, and casual.

My son has cruised twice- at 14 months and 3 years. Both times, he wore a tux on formal nights and nice pants and a polo shirt to dinner. We used it as an opportunity to teach him that there are places where appropriate attire is expected. We booked a family cruise this week and he immediately asked if I would get him a tux.

No one seems to care what they wear nowadays (and honestly, I think the suit jacket and awful orange pants in that ad pic look terrible, not chic at all). I just miss the "magic" of the ship in the evening on formal night.

Honestly, people on this thread are getting way too worked up about the dress code.

THAT is the PURPOSE of a dress code thread! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60