Sleeping 4 w/o Kids in Same Bed?

pdcsgirl

Beginning to research Alaska for 2017 and am wondering how Princess sleeps a family of 4 in a balcony cabin. We are spoiled because we went on a Disney cruise on which DH and I shared a queen, and each kid had his/her own bed--one on the couch that was made up as a bed at night and one on a pull down bed over the couch. So the kids were in a bunk bed type set up rather than sharing a full, double or queen bed. They don't do well in the same bed; also male and female.

Can I get a similar set up on Princess, and if so, what do I look for on the deck plans? Also, is there a way to tell on the deck plans whether any couch/desk is closer to the balcony (preferred) or closer to the front door/bathroom?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by pdcsgirl
added a question

You can get a cabin with two fold-down beds on the sides. However, I don't think you can then have the "main" beds in a queen configuration so you would have 4 individual beds.

You can get a cabin with two fold-down beds on the sides. However, I don't think you can then have the "main" beds in a queen configuration so you would have 4 individual beds.

Balcony cabins tend to have the beds that drop down from the ceiling.

That works...key is kids in separate beds. If DH and I also have to be in separate beds, it isn't the end of the world. (May even sleep better..:))

Most of the Regular Princess Balcony cabins don't have couches (or even room for a couch). You might consider a covered balcony mini suite. Lots more room, 2 TV's, and a much bigger bathroom. The extra cost for the mini would probably be comparable to the Disney room.

Most of the Regular Princess Balcony cabins don't have couches (or even room for a couch). You might consider a covered balcony mini suite. Lots more room, 2 TV's, and a much bigger bathroom. The extra cost for the mini would probably be comparable to the Disney room.

I second that recommendation to look at mini suite. A mini suite on Princess is the closest setup that you would see on a Disney Ship. If you can get a covered one, then even better.

Standard Balcony cabin will have two single beds each with a bunk over it. There is no couch in a standard balcony cabin.

The mini suite that sleeps 4 will have a queen or two single beds according to your preference. One of the extra beds will be the pull out couch and the other a bunk which is over the couch. Access to the balcony is limited when the beds are prepared for the evening.

The set up will be similar to that of the picture but with the beds facing the wall not the sliding glass doors (or in this case the window).

Standard__ocean_view_room_bunk_system_4_people_Sea_Princess_cruise_ship.jpg

I was wondering where you had disappeared to. :)

Beginning to research Alaska for 2017 and am wondering how Princess sleeps a family of 4 in a balcony cabin. We are spoiled because we went on a Disney cruise on which DH and I shared a queen, and each kid had his/her own bed--one on the couch that was made up as a bed at night and one on a pull down bed over the couch. So the kids were in a bunk bed type set up rather than sharing a full, double or queen bed. They don't do well in the same bed; also male and female.

Can I get a similar set up on Princess, and if so, what do I look for on the deck plans? Also, is there a way to tell on the deck plans whether any couch/desk is closer to the balcony (preferred) or closer to the front door/bathroom?

Thanks in advance!

Book a room for 4 , it's that easy.

Book your quad room early. They fill up fast. We have an inside quad for our Alaska cruise in August on the Ruby. It is a small room, but we are in there to sleep, shower and change clothes. Every other waking moment we are out seeing and doing things, visiting with people.

A balcony would be a waste for us. We wouldn't use it.

Besides the mini-suite option, which as others have said would be similar to the Disney cruise set up, you could choose to book 2 balcony cabins that are next to each other. The cabin steward can open the divider between the balconies and you may travel between cabins without having to go into the hallway.

We've had main-suite for one cruise and booked 2 balcony cabins for another. I would do either of those over 4 in a Princess balcony. It's just too small. Depends on price and how comfortable you are with kiddos sleeping in their own room.

Compare the total price of a quad mini or balcony to booking 2 balconies next to each other. Depending on whatever promotion is currently available, you may actually come out better with the 2 rooms versus 1.

We also have a boy and a girl so I understand the bed sharing issue. We usually opt for 2 rooms because you get more space overall and having 2 bathrooms is a huge bonus.

Another vote here for a mini suite.

We always try to book when there is a promotion on the 3rd and 4th passengers price and have always managed to get a good deal. We like the extra space over a standard balcony and having a bath.

Access to the balcony is restricted but not impossible when the beds are down.

If you decide to do the side by side balconies, be sure to book one adult in each room. Princess does not care who sleeps where but the booking has to have someone over 21 in each room. You dont say the ages of hte kids but having two showers might be a deciding factor.

Another vote here for a mini suite.

We always try to book when there is a promotion on the 3rd and 4th passengers price and have always managed to get a good deal. We like the extra space over a standard balcony and having a bath.

Access to the balcony is restricted but not impossible when the beds are down.

Hmm. Then the mini suite is not going to give me a set up similar to that of Disney because i am looking for unrestrictec access to the balcony when the kids are sleeping. Maybe i should rephrase it. Think of a sofa as a straight horizontal line. I am looking to sleep the kid on tbe horizontal line because the sofa is simply made up as a bed at night (with an actual comfortable mattress!). I want to avoid the child creating a "T" as he sleeps because the bed is pulled out of the sofa at night (a traditional.sofa bed). When pulled out it blocks access. I think a tundle wouild.block access too, although maybe not as badly because the child is still.sleepong horizontal to the couch (creating an "11" if you wiill).

If you decide to do the side by side balconies, be sure to book one adult in each room. Princess does not care who sleeps where but the booking has to have someone over 21 in each room. You dont say the ages of hte kids but having two showers might be a deciding factor.

Actually, the cruise contract says

"For families or groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian."

Hmm. Then the mini suite is not going to give me a set up similar to that of Disney because i am looking for unrestrictec access to the balcony when the kids are sleeping. Maybe i should rephrase it. Think of a sofa as a straight horizontal line. I am looking to sleep the kid on tbe horizontal line because the sofa is simply made up as a bed at night (with an actual comfortable mattress!). I want to avoid the child creating a "T" as he sleeps because the bed is pulled out of the sofa at night (a traditional.sofa bed). When pulled out it blocks access. I think a tundle wouild.block access too, although maybe not as badly because the child is still.sleepong horizontal to the couch (creating an "11" if you wiill).

We did once have the configuration you require in a mini suite on the Grand Princess and we also preferred this arrangement. However this appears to have been an exception and all our other mini suites have had the double sofa bed.

Access to the balcony is definitely awkward and involves squeezing past the foot of the sofa bed but we do not find it too big a problem. Also the beds are only in this position for a few waking hours each day. All but one of the double sofa beds have been very comfortable and our two daughters usually alternate between the Pullman and the sofa each night.

Overall we have been very pleased with our mini suites and Princess are our favourite cruise line.

Happy sailingx